• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Byron

Selling it for a friend

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Byron said:

I see this so often on ebay and am really suspicious, just what do you think it means?

I think Ebay has jumped the shark now; there are barely any honest people left on there. It's OK for buying - mostly - but selling has become a nightmare running of the full gauntlet of chancers and outright loons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If something even as so much as twitches on your bullshit radar in regards to ebay then avoid it like the plague.

Especially high value or electrics, in fact I'd probably swerve them altogether if it isnt cash on collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, eight said:

I think Ebay has jumped the shark now; there are barely any honest people left on there. It's OK for buying - mostly - but selling has become a nightmare running of the full gauntlet of chancers and outright loons.

Indeed I've stopped selling there. Not work the hassle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admission: I bought a bike off eBay back in the day (before it jumped the shark, as eight rightly points out) and it was a cracking bargain. Went to collect it and the guy said he was selling it for a friend.

Later I noticed he had another for sale, a woman's bike, and I knew my mum needed one so bought it. It was only (honestly) as I was collecting this second one that it occurred to me that they were quite likely stolen. Guy was a bit twitchy this second time, probably because he recognised me from the previous time and got paranoid, haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, eight said:

I think Ebay has jumped the shark now; there are barely any honest people left on there. It's OK for buying - mostly - but selling has become a nightmare running of the full gauntlet of chancers and outright loons.

If it's OK for buying, surley it is OK for selling? For every satisfied buyer there will be a satisfied seller. No?

8 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

How long has this been true? Hardly ever use ebay but bought a really nice cashmere coat (probably stolen) about 3 years back, paid in advance, had no issue.

 

I've not yet had a problem buying from Ebay*. Get pretty much everything I buy for work or home from e-bay, whether private sellers or stores, including very many second hand digital cameras, second hand computer parts, electrical components etc. I've never yet sold anything although I do have some large redundant work items to shift, so I may soon. About 12 years buying on ebay.

One item from China was a dud, a dual earth LED that was just negative earth on the base but I only lost £2. generally, I've had success from China.

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on eBay for a long time is anything cheap (with good feedback) is probably worth the risk. Gets a bit iffy with higher value items though and probably worth buying in person to inspect the item. Meeting people comes with its own problems though, due to about 50% of people seemingly being loons !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently have been having a clear out on ebay using their £1 final value listings. Mostly high end PC stuff, gaming perhiphals etc. Didn't have one issue. The most enlightening thing for me was I was getting more money than what paid for the stuff back in 2013/14.

Where do people recommend to sell now? I don't do social media but I understand a lot of people use facebook these days

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see people regularly relisting the same old thing at hopelessly unrealistic prices, such as a Mariner 2 hp outboard, 25 years old and asking £375 when a brand new Suzuki 4 stroke 2.5 hp is about £520.

What is the point?

They surely cannot be hoping to get some idiot to pay that amount when their advert is sandwiched between many others all about the £150 mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Byron said:

I see people regularly relisting the same old thing at hopelessly unrealistic prices, such as a Mariner 2 hp outboard, 25 years old and asking £375 when a brand new Suzuki 4 stroke 2.5 hp is about £520.

What is the point?

They surely cannot be hoping to get some idiot to pay that amount when their advert is sandwiched between many others all about the £150 mark.

Don't be harsh on them, they've probably also been trying to sell a 2-bed bungalow in Mablethorpe for 9 years for £1.3m because 'the right buyer is out there'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably it's mostly dodgy as fuck when people are selling for friends but a friend, who sells a lot of stuff on there, did actually once sell something for me when I told her I just couldn't be arsed with dealing with loons and would just leave it out of the front of my house for someone to take (that's a thing in Toronto).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Iamcynical said:

My take on eBay for a long time is anything cheap (with good feedback) is probably worth the risk. Gets a bit iffy with higher value items though and probably worth buying in person to inspect the item. Meeting people comes with its own problems though, due to about 50% of people seemingly being loons !

Most people who collect off me don't come alone, its a bit weird if I'm honest - and puts me at a disadvantage if I'm alone I can't watch 2 or more people. If I'm collecting stuff I go on my own as its often a long way and I go when the GF is otherwise occupied - I check the location out on Google maps first though!

The biggest problems I've had on eBay is from GSP/GSP customers sadly. Lost a few £100 worth of items due to them saying its faulty and as its now far far away its too expensive to pay for a return... funny how none of my stuff sent to the UK is 'faulty'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Byron said:

I see people regularly relisting the same old thing at hopelessly unrealistic prices, such as a Mariner 2 hp outboard, 25 years old and asking £375 when a brand new Suzuki 4 stroke 2.5 hp is about £520.

What is the point?

They surely cannot be hoping to get some idiot to pay that amount when their advert is sandwiched between many others all about the £150 mark.

 

People lack confidence that the item won't sell for a song.

It's very odd because often items sell for so near as dammit their new price that it leaves me scratching my head as to why the buyer didn't buy new.

Buyers that set a high reserve though nervouseness often kill their sale. Set at 99p and it would probably be bid beyond the reserve the seller had in mind.

But, set a reserve and people often won't even bid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Byron said:

I see this so often on ebay and am really suspicious, just what do you think it means?

I see it on gumtree in the pets section. That's really dodgy, iyam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Byron said:

I see this so often on ebay and am really suspicious, just what do you think it means?

Attempt to get out of sale of goods act protection ( and probably hot)

Same as a car dealer saying a car is sold as seen 

All very interesting but SOG act still applies whatever get out the seller tries 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Attempt to get out of sale of goods act protection ( and probably hot)

Same as a car dealer saying a car is sold as seen 

All very interesting but SOG act still applies whatever get out the seller tries 

Suspect that's it, especially electrical goods. Effectively means they can deflect questions about defects etc. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Most people who collect off me don't come alone, its a bit weird if I'm honest - and puts me at a disadvantage if I'm alone I can't watch 2 or more people. If I'm collecting stuff I go on my own as its often a long way and I go when the GF is otherwise occupied - I check the location out on Google maps first though!

The biggest problems I've had on eBay is from GSP/GSP customers sadly. Lost a few £100 worth of items due to them saying its faulty and as its now far far away its too expensive to pay for a return... funny how none of my stuff sent to the UK is 'faulty'.

Same here, they also now auto select it. It does make the shipping process easier but the hassle factor increases massively. Recently lost on on some computer equipment, while I totally get buyer protection I suspect it's putting your rank and file punter off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, the gardener said:

I only sell cash on collection. No exceptions.

How do you deal with all the muppets paying by PP on your cash on collection only items? Had several issues with that, including black marks on my buyer account for canceling items that I refunded PP and the buyer collected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, gilf said:

Same here, they also now auto select it. It does make the shipping process easier but the hassle factor increases massively. Recently lost on on some computer equipment, while I totally get buyer protection I suspect it's putting your rank and file punter off. 

GSP themselves have lost more items I've ever lost on international or domestic where I've used a normal courier too. Often its cheaper for the buyer as well. Thinking of binning it off and just saying 'if yer foreign and want it, message me'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently sold my Rolex on eBay, it actually went well. I'm currently posting this from inside a wardrobe in a flat above a Paddy Power, where I've been locked for the past week. Dmitry kindly said he'll let me out in a few months once the PayPal dispute period has lapsed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/07/2018 at 11:01, Hopeful said:

If it's OK for buying, surley it is OK for selling? For every satisfied buyer there will be a satisfied seller. No?

 

Ebay always sides with buyers in a dispute and buyers know this so they take the piss in various ways e.g. buy some item of clothing, wear it for a few weeks, claim it was damaged/dirty etc and send it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.