DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Drop in landlord numbers?

sarahbell

New rental listings set to drop sharply amid landlord exodus

An exodus of landlords from the buy-to-let market has caused a significant drop in rental property.

The trade body estimates that on top of the 46,000 privately rented homes that have already been lost, there will be a further net loss of 133,000 homes to rent, as small-scale private landlords continue to offload properties largely as a result of recent tax and legislative changes, which are making it unviable for many investors to operate in the sector.

No so round here. The terraces are being snapped up and will no doubt have a shiny new bathroom put in to replace the previously put in shiny new bathroom.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Green Devil
32 minutes ago, Option5 said:

So where are all these houses going?

Way i see it is good family homes are going quickly. The BTL is sticking. Landlords are indeed trying to offload. But they are doing so with a tenant, of which there is no demand dem investors. They need to vacate the premise and sell to an owner occupier. Those landlords who own outright and can sell when tenants leave and leave them empty are getting picked up by renters. So that stock is leaving the BTL market. The rest is sitting empty waiting for a sale. I think rents are going to rise over the next few years as supply falls. It'll be like buying a home, the supply hits all time lows. Of course we still have the population ramping up as we are still increasing by hundreds of thousands per year. Cant see any end to the housing crisis, which is probably about to hit the rental market as well.

Back to how it used to be. Those that 100% own an extra property or three can rent them out. Those that can't afford to buy for cash either can't/won't get a btl mortgage due to either lending restrictions or lack of help from the tax man.

No Duff (troll)
6 hours ago, sarahbell said:
New rental listings set to drop sharply amid landlord exodus

An exodus of landlords from the buy-to-let market has caused a significant drop in rental property.

Source check (more important than a fact check):  link is to Landlord Today who quote from a study by the Residential Landlords Association (RLA).

2 minutes ago, grumpygit said:

I know many Polish are going home and more next year, that must be freeing up a lot of rental properties

I have a Polish colleague who lives in Sutton which has a large Polish and Romanian population which is apparently shrinking on a daily basis as the wives and kids go home when school ends. The dads stay back a while to sort things out see out the end of the lease etc. He's planning to return in September.

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

I have a Polish colleague who lives in Sutton which has a large Polish and Romanian population which is apparently shrinking on a daily basis as the wives and kids go home when school ends. The dads stay back a while to sort things out see out the end of the lease etc. He's planning to return in September.

Cant be shrinking there are more poles romanians etc. Here than ever before. 

Just now, Banned by HPC said:

Cant be shrinking there are more poles romanians etc. Here than ever before. 

I get the feeling that the numbers don't add up as the women and children haven't "officially" left so they can still collect their benefits, that's why Dad is still here.

6 minutes ago, Option5 said:

A lot of the Polish I have come into contact with work in the UK in stints and send money back home and building a great future. And it's getting more expensive for them here as well as well as Poland picking up economically. I happen to like most Polish, work ethic is brilliant and most are decent people, a lot of set themselves up back home, good luck to them,

8 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I get the feeling that the numbers don't add up as the women and children haven't "officially" left so they can still collect their benefits, that's why Dad is still here.

They get tax credits and family allowance no matter where they are so long as daddy is here.

sancho panza
1 hour ago, grumpygit said:

I know many Polish are going home and more next year, that must be freeing up a lot of rental properties

Interesting anecdotal.

What are the main reasons?

57 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Interesting anecdotal.

What are the main reasons?

I come across a lot of their tradesmen, most do between 3 and 6 months stints in rentals, rentals that are usually owned by Polish as well, a little crowed sometimes but it is not as bad as many make out, most are quite sociable and organised with cooking and respecting each other space,  I have been in crowded situations on operations in the Forces and it can be a crack with the right  people, all of then have got great homes back in Poland, homes the HPC lot would love to have, so don't feel too sorry for many of them, I really like most of them.

Had a chat with so many of them, money is not as good as it once was for them, or maybe they are just getting more fussy or a bit of both, plus things are improving back in Poland. Many also many do not like the UK all that much, if they are single they find the women avoid them in most cases, shame, and they are massively racist towards Muslims, sorry, but that's a fact.

sancho panza
24 minutes ago, grumpygit said:

I come across a lot of their tradesmen, most do between 3 and 6 months stints in rentals, rentals that are usually owned by Polish as well, a little crowed sometimes but it is not as bad as many make out, most are quite sociable and organised with cooking and respecting each other space,  I have been in crowded situations on operations in the Forces and it can be a crack with the right  people, all of then have got great homes back in Poland, homes the HPC lot would love to have, so don't feel too sorry for many of them, I really like most of them.

Had a chat with so many of them, money is not as good as it once was for them, or maybe they are just getting more fussy or a bit of both, plus things are improving back in Poland. Many also many do not like the UK all that much, if they are single they find the women avoid them in most cases, shame, and they are massively racist towards Muslims, sorry, but that's a fact.

I'm second gen,married to first gen.So not against immigration per se but it does need controlling.It's had a massive impact in places like leicester mainly on wages.I guess when the first ones came over the money was good compared to Poland,but then sterling weakness,rising Polish economy affects the arbitrage.

Also as well, I suspect a lot of the other EE's/non European migrants will work for less-that's really what the last ten years has been about for working age households ie real declines in household incomes.

I defintiely think the bit in bold is true.Once upon a time they'd work for peanuts,then they've acclimatized and thought 'f*** that'

When you think about it,after ten years here or less,the hosue back home is paid off.And Poland is a lovely country,I've travelled there  lot when the cost of living was cheaper.

Poland has transformed since joining the EU, courtesy of roughly 10b euros per year going there from the EU budget. As one would expect, there was some inefficiency, waste and flat-out corruption in how that money got distributed, but still a vast majority of it went towards infrastructural projects, mostly in transport, networking and education. It's hard to predict what's gonna happen when the magic money tree goes bare, and the political class is just as useless as anywhere else, but it's definitely been a huge winner of the 2004 expansion. "Massive racism towards Muslims" can also be seen as quite appealing, depending on where you sit. I think quite a lot of Poles might actually be very tempted by the recent shift to the right observed in their home country.

No Duff (troll)

Met some Poles on hols.  Have to say they were extremely well mannered.  Kept apologising each time a child so much as talked in the restaurant.  Were dressed a bit casual the first night, like the Germans, etc, but one look at smart us and turned out really well the next night.  They really made an effort so liked them from the off.  The same at work.  BTW, poshish place so maybe not typical, apart from the work stuff, which isn't!  They really dislike the slackers at work!

No Duff (troll)

Went to the Carribean once and was told all the houses being built were owned by islanders working on the London Underground.  Smart.  So not a bad country to come and work and then go home.  Shame about the rest of us!

2 hours ago, grumpygit said:

if they are single they find the women avoid them in most cases, shame, and they are massively racist towards Muslims, sorry, but that's a fact.

You really are a BTL troll of the lowest order.

Earlier today you were stating you were picked up on HPC for writing anti Muslims posts (Muslims being on a breeding program), now you are upset about Poles being racist towards Muslims. (Muslim is a religion not a race) At least get your 2 personalities to come to the same conclusion on your views about Muslims.

3 minutes ago, Banned by HPC said:

Earlier today you were stating you were picked up on HPC for writing anti Muslims posts (Muslims being on a breeding program), now you are upset about Poles being racist towards Muslims. (Muslim is a religion not a race) At least get your 2 personalities to come to the same conclusion on your views about Muslims.

I thought we allowed trolls on here, where's the fun in having no one to take the piss out of?

18 minutes ago, Banned by HPC said:

I am not even going to waste my time on you, I am not even going to bother pointing out what you obviously are, and twice now You have threatened to put me on ignore as I still continued to ignore you, classic sign of a **** trying to get a reaction. This all seems to have started when you were picked up on your childish gangsta rap lingo, so easy to set you off :).. I probably don't believe your story of a wasted life on HPC until you finally "saw the light", my money would be on you being a HPC troublemaker who was rightly banned and pro high house prices

Waiting for your next rant, it seems like that's only thing you seem to be doing on here.

57 minutes ago, No Duff said:

Met some Poles on hols.  Have to say they were extremely well mannered.  Kept apologising each time a child so much as talked in the restaurant.  Were dressed a bit casual the first night, like the Germans, etc, but one look at smart us and turned out really well the next night.  They really made an effort so liked them from the off.  The same at work.  BTW, poshish place so maybe not typical, apart from the work stuff, which isn't!  They really dislike the slackers at work!

I have not met a bad one yet, you have one of them running a chip shop and she/he will do the job as if they are running the Savoy, they remind me of the old Irish

1 hour ago, kibuc said:

"Massive racism towards Muslims"

I have pointed that out which is very factual, have been picked up on it here :), but it is OK as I don't value any of his contributions or believe them

15 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I thought we allowed trolls on here, where's the fun in having no one to take the piss out of?

I thought it was for people to say what the fuck they like on here as the moderators were for open debate, so there is no need to be a troll or pretending to be what one is not.

I'd sooner a BTLer telling us all why it is a good investment or why property prices will not crash ... not some 2nd rate troll wearing his skid marked underpants virtue signalling.

1 minute ago, Banned by HPC said:

I thought it was for people to say what the fuck they like on here as the moderators were for open debate, so there is no need to be a troll or pretending to be what one is not.

I'd sooner a BTLer telling us all why it is a good investment or why property prices will not crash ... not some 2nd rate troll wearing his skid marked underpants virtue signalling.

Isn't almost everyone on the internet pretending to be what they're not? Hence the popularity of Facecloth and Twatter.

Archived