• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

sarahbell

Quiet hour

Recommended Posts

Image may contain: 1 person

From the end off July all Morrisons stores in partnership with The National Autistic Society will be doing Shhhhh-op. On Saturdays from 9am -10am we will be dimming the lights and turning off the music so customer can have a better shopping experience in this quiet hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to be extremely fortunate in having an audio filtering system that rapidly cuts out repetitive extraneous noise.  I had no idea that Morrisons played music and I go in there every few weeks.

The problem with stores is the number of people and the various annoying behaviours some of them exhibit.  Uusually it's the elderly owing to their loss of spatial perception so they just stop and start exmining the veg without realising that they are blocking a whole aisle; I'm not moaning as I'm sure that I wil be doing that myself one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or they could just stay at home and order from an online service, thereby avoiding the need to go out at all. 

But I suppose that suggestions wouldn't go down so well in National Autistic Society boardmeetings or Morrison's corporate social responsibility meetings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

They have their own radio station I think, the Co-op do this too.

Why a supermarket wants to pump Bon Jovi at me when I'm after some spuds and a bag of nappies I don't know but I tend to just zone out of it.

...Unlike bloody clothes shops:

 

OONCE, OONCE, OONCE, OONCE

"Can I help you!?

"What?"

ZUD, ZUD, ZUD, ZUD

"I said, can I help you!"

"Oh. I'd like some jeans please."

OONCE, OONCE, OONCE, OONCE

"What?

"I said, I'd like some jeans please!"

BOSH, BOSH, BOSH ,BOSH

"The hats are over there"

"What?"

ZUD, ZUD, ZUD, ZUD

"Hats are over there!"

"I'd like some jeans please! Do you really need it to sound like the fucking Hacienda in here?"

"What?"

OONCE, OONCE, OONCE, OONCE.

 

I worked in a hi-fi shop as a teenager and had a dimwit manager who used to play sh*tty music like that at full volume, so much so that customers walked out because they couldn't have a conversation with the staff. When he was out of the shop I used to put classical music or jazz on at a reasonable volume and it seemed to attract a better class of customer who actually spent money. I tried explaining this to the boss but he wasn't having any of it. I believe he ended up in prison for fiddling the books a couple of years later. 

Edited by Austin Allegro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I seem to be extremely fortunate in having an audio filtering system that rapidly cuts out repetitive extraneous noise.  I had no idea that Morrisons played music and I go in there every few weeks.

The problem with stores is the number of people and the various annoying behaviours some of them exhibit.  Uusually it's the elderly owing to their loss of spatial perception so they just stop and start exmining the veg without realising that they are blocking a whole aisle; I'm not moaning as I'm sure that I wil be doing that myself one day.

I'm hoping that one day the supermarkets will start offering a small discount to retired people who shop during working hours during the week. Why do the dotard bastards insist on tottering around with trolleys on Saturdays getting in the way? :PissedOff:

My recently retired Swiss pal thinks it's deliberate mild devilment, they actually like being a nuisance. Really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I seem to be extremely fortunate in having an audio filtering system that rapidly cuts out repetitive extraneous noise.  I had no idea that Morrisons played music and I go in there every few weeks.

The problem with stores is the number of people and the various annoying behaviours some of them exhibit.  Uusually it's the elderly owing to their loss of spatial perception so they just stop and start exmining the veg without realising that they are blocking a whole aisle; I'm not moaning as I'm sure that I wil be doing that myself one day.

Fat people on mobility scooters, arrrrggggghhhhh.:PissedOff:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I'm hoping that one day the supermarkets will start offering a small discount to retired people who shop during working hours during the week. Why do the dotard bastards insist on tottering around with trolleys on Saturdays getting in the way? :PissedOff:

My recently retired Swiss pal thinks it's deliberate mild devilment, they actually like being a nuisance. Really?

I'd agree with him.

Most of my clientele are of this demographic and I am postive some of them deliberately go out of their way to be a complete pain in the arse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I'm hoping that one day the supermarkets will start offering a small discount to retired people who shop during working hours during the week. Why do the dotard bastards insist on tottering around with trolleys on Saturdays getting in the way? :PissedOff:

My recently retired Swiss pal thinks it's deliberate mild devilment, they actually like being a nuisance. Really?

they get fed up of seeing grey haired people, also habit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Fat people on mobility scooters, arrrrggggghhhhh.:PissedOff:

In supermarkets?  I don't think I've ever seen that.  You'd need a ten point turn at the end of every aisle.

It's not something that had ever crossed my mind but wouldn' they mostly order online?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

In supermarkets?  I don't think I've ever seen that.  You'd need a ten point turn at the end of every aisle.

It's not something that had ever crossed my mind but wouldn' they mostly order online?

The supermarket near me is next to McDonald's so it's on their way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

Or they could just stay at home and order from an online service, thereby avoiding the need to go out at all. 

But there's a minimum spend of £40.00 per online delivery so it's not going to suit everyone. My weekly shop is about £25.00

I like this idea. I don't think I'm autistic but I dislike the hustle and bustle of supermarkets on a Saturday morning. Just the thought of it brings on a cold sweat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

But there's a minimum spend of £40.00 per online delivery so it's not going to suit everyone. My weekly shop is about £25.00

I like this idea. I don't think I'm autistic but I dislike the hustle and bustle of supermarkets on a Saturday morning. Just the thought of it brings on a cold sweat.

I get a monthly home delivery from Sainsbury's, it costs £2.50 per month for up to one delivery per day, midweek (I work from home so that's OK). 

So I buy bulk non-perishable stuff like flour, frozen food, tins, cleaning products etc, it's fairly easy to spend £40 that way and get value for money. 

For things like meat, fruit and veg etc I go to the local shops weekly (i also grow my own veg). 

Prior to that I used to go to a big supermarket late at night to avoid the crowds, but it was still a round trip of about 40 mins in the car, so there was a cost in time and petrol. 

 

Edited by Austin Allegro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Why do the dotard bastards insist on tottering around with trolleys on Saturdays getting in the way? :PissedOff:

I've pondered the same question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Fat people on mobility scooters, arrrrggggghhhhh.:PissedOff:

Last year I was a branch of Savers. Old guy ( not fat) came through the shop on the biggest mobility scooter I have ever seen. I was 2 people behind him in the queue. He paid for his purchases and as he was about to leave, he hit the accelerator instead of reverse an smashed into a display of wine bottles.

All that drink gone to waste!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

But there's a minimum spend of £40.00 per online delivery so it's not going to suit everyone. My weekly shop is about £25.00

I like this idea. I don't think I'm autistic but I dislike the hustle and bustle of supermarkets on a Saturday morning. Just the thought of it brings on a cold sweat.

Take advantage of the long opening hours.  I used to be near a 24hr Tesco and did my week's shoping 7am on Saturday morning.  Now my regular shop is Lidl which is either when they open at 8am on a Saturday morning or well after 7pm in the evening.

 

13 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Last year I was a branch of Savers. Old guy ( not fat) came through the shop on the biggest mobility scooter I have ever seen. I was 2 people behind him in the queue. He paid for his purchases and as he was about to leave, he hit the accelerator instead of reverse an smashed into a display of wine bottles.

All that drink gone to waste!

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

 I believe he ended up in prison for fiddling the books a couple of years later. 

Thank god it wasn't a book shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

From the end off July all Morrisons stores in partnership with The National Autistic Society will be doing Shhhhh-op. On Saturdays from 9am -10am we will be dimming the lights and turning off the music so customer can have a better shopping experience in this quiet hour.

Or, you could just go to Aldi. They even keep the staff numbers down so you don't get "bothered". Until you go to the checkout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they just lure the mongers in, fill up the shop, then strobe the lights and put some disturbing sounds out at full pelt.

Its like these mad old bints with yappy dogs who go nuts when fireworks go off.

Theres two fixes to this.

Dont indulge the dog so it accepts loud sounds - loads of dogs are OK.

Or shoot the dog and get tthe yappy senstive genes out of the genepool.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

but I dislike the hustle and bustle of supermarkets on a Saturday morning. Just the thought of it brings on a cold sweat.

I go precisely for that.  Life is so boring otherwise.  Must be the budding anthrapologist in me.  Or the clinical psychologist.  Having just read about dominance hierachies, I need a field trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, No Duff said:

I go precisely for that.  Life is so boring otherwise.  Must be the budding anthrapologist in me.  Or the clinical psychologist.  Having just read about dominance hierachies, I need a field trip.

For some reason I become incredibly camp in Sainsbury's and start winking at other gay couples.

And couples who have obviously just set up home together and are out doing their first shop. You can tell because they're really young and they have a trolley piled up beyond capacity. And are in for a treat at the checkout when they find out how much it all costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

For some reason I become incredibly camp in Sainsbury's and start winking at other gay couples.

Yeh, I know exactly what you mean.  Maybe it's the relaxing gender neutral orange or maybe you get more of the fit intelligent lookers there.  You know, tidy hair, push bike and a good job in the creatives.  The Tesco ones are all beer and bellies, Morrisons all toughies from up north, and Aldi's pretty much a girls zone.  Maybe we need our own thread.  So much to talk about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.