• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Shop Closing Time Heroes

Anyone else go to the shop at closing time and get some bargains? I got this double punnet of strawberries for 75 pence.... I went to M&S last week and for some sandwiches for 35 pence..... I once got a cooked chicken for 10 pence....

At these prices it would be rude not to buy them.

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

Anyone else go to the shop at closing time and get some bargains? I got this double punnet of strawberries for 75 pence.... I went to M&S last week and for some sandwiches for 35 pence..... I once got a cooked chicken for 10 pence....

image.jpeg

My village Co-op is great for near closing time bargains.

1lb sugar, lemon juice, and you have 2lb jam.

Edited by Hopeful

Going off topic on my own thread. Anyone else think the strawberries this year are awesome? I bought some last week (full price) and they were the best I've ever had. I assume it's been the fantastic summer.

5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

My village Co-op is great for near closing time bargains.

1lb sugar, lemon juice, and you have 2lb jam.

I find markets at the end of play are great for bargains, I've even been given extra for free because they don't want to take it home. Fish and vegetable stalls are especially generous.

I got some fancy M&S Contreau gateux for 19p IIRC down from something stupid like 12 or 14 quid once. But it has destroyed me as a bargain hunter as I will never get such a great deal again.

It tasted fab btw and, as it was full of alcohol and sugar, I am pretty sure that it would have survived for another century.

48 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

image.jpeg

I hope you also used your coop and NUS card for an additional 15% off.

Some stores don't seem to discount very much at all, which I assume means that they chuck loads of food in the bin?! Should be laws saying 50% minimum halfway through the day, then 80% minimum in last hour of trading.

2 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Some stores don't seem to discount very much at all, which I assume means that they chuck loads of food in the bin?! Should be laws saying 50% minimum halfway through the day, then 80% minimum in last hour of trading.

Around here they all start reducing stuff the day before so there's fuck all left by 5pm let alone closing time.

2 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Talk to pensioners they have the inside crack. They have the time and the motivation to visit multiple supermarkets and between them they build up a knowledge of what is discounted and roughly when, apart from their friends and neighbours being ill or dying it's usually their main interest.

The reductions are not always stickered near closing.

Staff may often have first dibs on bargains.

The last few years, overall the number of heavily discounted items to clear has been impacted by store group, or local manager initiatives to partner loosely with council run, or charity run, food banks or homeless hostels.

More cautious ordering also limits clearance items.

Counter-intuitively often the best bargains are found at more expensive stores, especially Waitrose, plus you can pick up a free coffee and free Daily Telegraph or whatever.

Far more pleasant than fighting with the Mums with kids in ASDA.

10 minutes ago, This Time said:

Around here they all start reducing stuff the day before so there's fuck all left by 5pm let alone closing time.

Different stores of the big chains seem to have their own ways of doing it, which I find weird. I would have thought they'd all have a national policy.

I only ever buy reduced stuff if I was buying it, to eat that night, any way and it happens to be reduced. Most of it I just wouldn't want anyway like ready made sandwiches or bakery stuff.

Never understand why they do reduce it down to silly amounts like 10p or 20p I always think it's a staff type thing as they typically see not throwing stuff away as a goal rather than making the most money. 

I've given up hunting for marked down items. There are two supermarkets within about 20 mins drive of me that do them, but there seems to be no consistency in when it happens or what gets marked down, so it just isn't worth the bother. Instead, I plan my shopping carefully online, buying mostly economy ranges, comparing prices etc to get the best deal from the comfort of my home, without having to spend any money on petrol. 

19 hours ago, Great Guy said:

Going off topic on my own thread. Anyone else think the strawberries this year are awesome? I bought some last week (full price) and they were the best I've ever had. I assume it's been the fantastic summer.

It's because you have bought Sonata (from the photo). It's the only cultivar that is both delicious and widely available in shops. Any of these other new fandangled ones are not nice at all, eg El Santa, Malling Centenary etc.

If you have the space to grow your own then I would suggest Cambridge Best.

And, I don't go in shops if there is less than 15 minutes left. I used to work in retail and I wanted to punch and spit at anyone who did this, as it meant I was going to be late getting home.

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It's because you have bought Sonata (from the photo). It's the only cultivar that is both delicious and widely available in shops. Any of these other new fandangled ones are not nice at all, eg El Santa, Malling Centenary etc.

If you have the space to grow your own then I would suggest Cambridge Best.

And, I don't go in shops if there is less than 15 minutes left. I used to work in retail and I wanted to punch and spit at anyone who did this, as it meant I was going to be late getting home.

Can't remember where it was but they used to have blokes on the door for the last 15 minutes letting folk out but not in. That's going to nag at me now, could have been Morrisons when it used to be safeway. Anyway excellent idea as I'd feel the same if I worked there. 

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

You should try working in the restaurant trade. I swear there are some people that, if you opened till 3am, would make a point of turning up at 2.57.

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

Can't remember where it was but they used to have blokes on the door for the last 15 minutes letting folk out but not in. That's going to nag at me now, could have been Morrisons when it used to be safeway. Anyway excellent idea as I'd feel the same if I worked there. 

SOP in Germany!