• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

J+J and cacnerous talc

Recommended Posts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44816805

'Johnson & Johnson has been ordered to pay $4.7bn (£3.6bn) in damages to 22 women who alleged that its talc products caused them to develop ovarian cancer.

A jury in the US state of Missouri initially awarded $550m in compensation and added $4.1bn in punitive damages.

The verdict comes as the pharmaceutical giant battles some 9,000 legal cases involving its signature talcum powder.

J&J said it was "deeply disappointed" and plans to appeal.

In the six week trial, the women and their families said they developed ovarian cancer after using baby powder and other talc products for decades.

Their lawyers alleged the company knew its talcum powder was contaminated with asbestos since the 1970s but failed to warn consumers about the risks.

The company denied that its products ever contained asbestos and insisted that they do not cause cancer.'

Right, Im not some tin foilled 'Big pharma are evil' type.

Western pharma production control are squeaky clean.

This case is fucking nuts.

J+J need to be able to sue the people making this case.

Im guessing theres a bunch of loons o nthe interweb. along with the anti vaccers, EMF is giving me brain cancer.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now the fact that this case does not register on the FT also points to the So-Called BBC business jounros being staffed with a smiliar sort of loon.

Its a daft ruling thatll be struck down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been rumbling on for a long time. I can say that many of the well known anti-perspirant brands had a talc line that they all seemed to ditch simultaneously around 15 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SNACR said:

This has been rumbling on for a long time. I can say that many of the well known anti-perspirant brands had a talc line that they all seemed to ditch simultaneously around 15 years ago.

Well, less likely that theres a risk, more likely that they dont want to spend the all their time in a court room facing spurious claims.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/talcum-powder-and-cancer.html

https://ovarian.org.uk/news-and-blog/blog/ovarian-cancer-and-talcum-powder-understanding-your-risk/

https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/talc-and-ovarian-cancer-what-the-most-recent-evidence-shows/

The NHS is a good one.

'Women who used talc were more likely to be:

  • older
  • heavier
  • asthma sufferers
  • regular painkiller (analgesic) users'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spygirl said:

the So-Called BBC article looks more n more like 'Wimmin!!! given cancer by a compnay run by Men!!!!'

 

That was men's plan all along. the So-Called BBC tells it like it is . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using talc was common for decades by countless millions. I can recall as a child being bathed by my Mium, dried with a towel and then smoothered in the stuff. Is this the cause of my asthma/COPD stuff years later? What about all the numerous cancers?

Heck, J&J promoted talc heavily at parents to use on their kids - first with nappies and then, as mentioned above, after bathing kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spygirl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44816805

'Johnson & Johnson has been ordered to pay $4.7bn (£3.6bn) in damages to 22 women who alleged that its talc products caused them to develop ovarian cancer.

A jury in the US state of Missouri initially awarded $550m in compensation and added $4.1bn in punitive damages.

The verdict comes as the pharmaceutical giant battles some 9,000 legal cases involving its signature talcum powder.

J&J said it was "deeply disappointed" and plans to appeal.

In the six week trial, the women and their families said they developed ovarian cancer after using baby powder and other talc products for decades.

Their lawyers alleged the company knew its talcum powder was contaminated with asbestos since the 1970s but failed to warn consumers about the risks.

The company denied that its products ever contained asbestos and insisted that they do not cause cancer.'

Right, Im not some tin foilled 'Big pharma are evil' type.

Western pharma production control are squeaky clean.

This case is fucking nuts.

J+J need to be able to sue the people making this case.

Im guessing theres a bunch of loons o nthe interweb. along with the anti vaccers, EMF is giving me brain cancer.

 

 

insured by Lloyd's of London?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a study of the lungs of deceased patients was conducted in Liverpool in the 1970s and 80s. It was found that 100% of lungs autopsied contained some asbestos fibres, even though most did not die of asbestos 'related' cancers or diseases. In other words, we all come into contact with it at some point...perhaps a restaurant you went to had a cowboy refit and the asbestos wasnt entombed properly and you breathed some in, or someone dumped some asbestos panels in the hardcore they use to resurface roads. Could be anything really.

In other words, its very hard to prove it came from Talcum powder, specifically, surely?

Edited by PatronizingGit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought that talcum powder was used by what would now be classed as chronically obese women to stop their all their flabby bits chafing.

As for asbestos, if you lived through the 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s & 70s it was in everything from buildings to brake pads.

I remember one fucker in overalls putting fire-proof screens in the metal work classroom at school sawing the fucking stuff up with a handsaw as we went in, its fibres glistened in the air as the sunlight poured through the windows. I had watched a documentary about the stuff of BBC 2 the week before so knew what it was and put my arm over my face to breathe through my jumper as we were ushered out by Mr Sankey.

Carbon fibre will be the next asbestos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

I always thought that talcum powder was used by what would now be classed as chronically obese women to stop their all their flabby bits chafing.

As for asbestos, if you lived through the 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s & 70s it was in everything from buildings to brake pads.

I remember one fucker in overalls putting fire-proof screens in the metal work classroom at school sawing the fucking stuff up with a handsaw as we went in, its fibres glistened in the air as the sunlight poured through the windows. I had watched a documentary about the stuff of BBC 2 the week before so knew what it was and put my arm over my face to breathe through my jumper as we were ushered out by Mr Sankey.

Carbon fibre will be the next asbestos.

We used to play frisbee with the asbestos bunsen burner boards* :D

Some kids scratched their names into them with their protractors.

* This was the early-mid 90s...i'd assume they were probably something else by then, although I distinctly remember the Chemistry teacher calling them 'asbestos safety boards'...though he never seemed to demand we treat them gently, so either he was joking, or he just hated kids, or perhaps was a really bad teacher who had no ideas of the health fears over asbestos. 

 

Buy anything from China...theres a fair chance it has some degree of asbestos contamination....

http://asbestosvictimadvice.com/2016/09/asbestos-imports-into-britain-risk-triggers-hse-investigation/

"in 2014, a Trading Standards investigation in Belfast, Ireland found a black market cigarette brand known to contain asbestos was widespread across the city."

 

"In 2015, the HSE was alerted to a breach of import security by authorities in Italy, Spain, Ireland and Korea following the discovery of asbestos-contaminated crayons, toys and consumer products, once again, from China."

 

 

Theoretically 'one exposure' could do you in...but it really, really, almost certainly wont. I figure, given we all have some exposure, perhaps if we all lived to 150, the asbestos cancers will get us. But 1001 other things will get there first. 

Consider there are around 2000 to 3000 deaths a year attributed to asbestos exposure...but also in excess of 1000 also attributed to Radon gas exposure...and less than perhaps 10% of built up areas are in such high radon zones...so in geographical terms, you're probably more likely to die of Radon poisoning than asbestos, if you live in a high radon area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, This Time said:

Of course talc is contaminated with asbestos - it comes from the same mines.

Indeed, but then there are those who argue white asbestos itself isnt dangerous, its that its contamination with blue and brown asbestos that make it so...the NFU have tried arguing this point...they have graphs and all...

One study did suggest Chrysotile fibres do exit the lungs after about 90 days...but a later study disagreed with that. 

 

I do find it crazy that for such a ubiquitous and endemic issue, there seems to be such disagreement and perhaps misinformation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to admit I’ve had phone calls along the lines ‘the contractors have removed some ceiling tiles and discovered the roof is full of asbestos, what should they do?’. 

‘Er, put the tiles back and undiscover it’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

I always thought that talcum powder was used by what would now be classed as chronically obese women to stop their all their flabby bits chafing.

As for asbestos, if you lived through the 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s & 70s it was in everything from buildings to brake pads.

I remember one fucker in overalls putting fire-proof screens in the metal work classroom at school sawing the fucking stuff up with a handsaw as we went in, its fibres glistened in the air as the sunlight poured through the windows. I had watched a documentary about the stuff of BBC 2 the week before so knew what it was and put my arm over my face to breathe through my jumper as we were ushered out by Mr Sankey.

Carbon fibre will be the next asbestos.

Plastic microfibres from fleece clothing a possible 'next asbestos' IMO

Growing up as a kid in the family shop I used to cut up asbestos cloth with scissors. I can still see the fibres floating in the air as I type this. Havings seen someone die of  pulmonary fibrosis that type of death scares the shit out of me, slowly and progressively sufffocating is one of the worse ways to go. Your lungs are so precious, it's why I can never understand why anyone would smoke.

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Have to admit I’ve had phone calls along the lines ‘the contractors have removed some ceiling tiles and discovered the roof is full of asbestos, what should they do?’. 

‘Er, put the tiles back and undiscover it’

Its a strange thing, and I do wonder if it really is only asbestos that causes mesothelioma. Virtually all UK asbestos is Chrysotile (I believe they have far more of the 'dangerous' stuff in Oz and Canada), which as the video I showed above, which references a HSE study which shows negligible risk from Chrysotile/white asbestos...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/meetings/hscarchive/2006/040706/c55.pdf

http://www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/meetings/hscarchive/2006/040706/c55a.pdf

Fig 1 of 2nd link (on pg 9)

This isnt unknown, the guardian drew a distinction in a 2002 article...

 Even the dreaded asbestos is not worthy of the all-encompassing paranoia it instills. Most asbestos used in buildings is made mainly from the mineral chrysotile, a flexible clay fibre that can be both dissolved and removed from the lungs by the, delightfully named, mucus elevator. It is the blue or brown asbestos, which consists mainly of brittle and resistant fibres of the minerals amosite, crocidolite, sometimes with tremolite and amesite, that remains in the lung and causes asbestosis and, particularly in smokers, lung cancer and mesothelioma.

In everyday settings, exposure to asbestos is too low to be of concern. There are, for example, usually fewer airborne asbestos fibres inside modern buildings than there are on the streets due to its use in the brake shoes of older motor vehicles. A single asbestos fibre is also extraordinarily unlikely to kill. It takes prolonged exposure to high doses to be hazardous.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2002/jan/17/physicalsciences.technology

 

 

Yet, we have teachers claiming they have asbestos cancers because of some roof or floor tiles might have dropped a fibre on them. Either there are other sources, or else they just have good old fashioned lung cancer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, snaga said:

insured by Lloyd's of London?

That was my thinking as soon as I heard that the US courts had awarded another of their ludicrous settlements: they are doing it because they know that a foreign insurer will be picking up the tab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.