• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

Favourite Comic Strips

5 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

Calvin and Hobbes is one of the few comics where I have actually bought any books. Lovely stuff.

My other favourite is the Neil Gaiman Sandman books 

Calvin and Hobbes for me too. Also: Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Fray, Tank Girl, Swamp Thing, Meltdown, Dredd, Slaine, Zenith, ABC warriors, Marshall law, and the Firefly and Buffy follow ons.

10 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

Calvin and Hobbes is one of the few comics where I have actually bought any books. Lovely stuff.

My other favourite is the Neil Gaiman Sandman books 

Love Calvin & Hobbes, but I've read everything he ever produced. 

22 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I've been reading Dilbert for 20 years and I still find it funny (probably due to working in the kind of companies he's taking the piss out of). E.g.

http://dilbert.com/strip/2018-06-25

Anyone else got any favourites?

Agree with you on Dilbert, his observations resonate so well having always worked in an office environment. When I was a kid I loved the Wonder Woman comic books, I so wanted to be her! 

2 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Agree with you on Dilbert, his observations resonate so well having always worked in an office environment. When I was a kid I loved the Wonder Woman comic books, I so wanted to be her! 

I used to read 2000AD and always wanted to be Judge Death, I don't think that's quite what the writers intended!

Ditto Dilbert and for similar reasons I found Alex funny when I worked in the City.

I like Garfield; even though so little ever happens in them they always make me smile.

Viz was just top notch throughout; I didn't really have a favourite as they were all so good and the best varied by individual issue.

I bought one of the Viz imitators once, possibly called Burp. I doubt that anyone bought it twice.

Agree with a lot of the above: Calvin & Hobbes, Matt, Dilbert & The far side (the latter was an absolute craze in science departments a quarter century ago).

I'd also add: Scribbly (by Jan-Paul Arends - but it's in Dutch, so YMMV), and the early Sinfest cartoons too.

6 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I used to read 2000AD and always wanted to be Judge Death, I don't think that's quite what the writers intended!

I had big crushes on Judges Anderson and Hersey. Loved 200AD.

Warlord and Battle were big in my childhood.

I think there was something called The Topper and The Beano. I think the former had the Numbskulls - little people who lived inside of us and controlled us. Decades later that comic strip looks like prophecy.

Have to say for me they’re just one of those books, like ones of magic eye pictures, someone gives you at Christmas I just flick through and don’t really get anything from.

Obviously I can see the merit in Viz but even that’s best years are passed, I think.

45 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I had big crushes on Judges Anderson and Hersey. Loved 200AD.

Warlord and Battle were big in my childhood.

I think there was something called The Topper and The Beano. I think the former had the Numbskulls - little people who lived inside of us and controlled us. Decades later that comic strip looks like prophecy.

I used to get Battle too. Pretty much compulsory reading on the RAF base as a kid! The Numbskulls are still going and are now in The Beano (BlueCat junior used to read it) by way of the Dandy and possible some other comic.

Swampthing.

Not a comuc, more an illustrated book - Edward Gorey. I omly discovered him when i was looking for A to Z books for my kids.

https://www.brainpickings.org/2011/01/19/edward-gorey-the-gashlycrumb-tinies/

And id never come across Struwellpetter

http://www.dennis-jackson.me.uk/other/struwwelpeter/harriet.html

6 minutes ago, Panther said:

Beezer and Sparky. Also Commando, with some bucktoothed Jap shouting 'Die! enemies of Nippon'

My brother was so into Commando. Bedroom full of models.

Then, in some elaborate ptocess hd managed to be in the German army.

Do The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers count ass a comic strip? I have a few of their magazines. Still find them funny after 30 years!

9 hours ago, spygirl said:

And id never come across Struwellpetter

http://www.dennis-jackson.me.uk/other/struwwelpeter/harriet.html

That casts a long shadow; superficially a child's book of tales it's actually pretty nasty and keeps being rediscovered.

The Tiger Lillies; who did a whole show on it which is worth a watch

And XTC on the scissor man who used to cut off the thumbs of children who sucked them

There are bound to be loads of other popular references because when you read it as a child it has a big impact.