• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

Smoking - what else is known to be bad

Just now, leonardratso said:

which country was this in? somewhere in turkey i presume.

The methadone?

Any town in uk. Try turning up at a phamarcy after weekend closure.

Or 10+ piĺls? Every oap i know.

ah thought it was one of those batty arsed countries that just hand out any old shite over the counter, like mexico or spain or some othe god forsaken shithole ((c) D.trump).

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm not questioning you but a link would be very interesting; I know that in Victorian times women in particular were prescribed cigarettes for their "nerves".

just a quick google "Clinical reports as early as 1795 linked pipe smoking with carcinoma of the lip and tongue"

https://academic.oup.com/jnci/article/96/11/853/2520796

not lung cancer.

but this is from over a century ago

" Isaac Adler summarised this evidence in 1912, in the world's first monograph on lung cancer, noting that the incidence of malignant neoplasms of the lung seemed to show ‘a decided increase’. Adler mentioned the ‘abuse of tobacco and alcohol’ as one possible cause, "

Edited by Dave Bloke

Vaping . I was having trouble breathing after using mine. Nobody can explain why but it's quite common apparently.

*Not saying it's worse than cigarette smoking btw. 

Artificial thickeners like xanthan gum 

Meat particularly red meat 

Glyohosate 

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Vaping . I was having trouble breathing after using mine. Nobody can explain why but it's quite common apparently.

I've tried vaping twice. Both times caused very violent coughing fits. I suspect it's the water content.

Just now, DTMark said:

I've tried vaping twice. Both times caused very violent coughing fits. I suspect it's the water content.

Could be, does seem odd though if it's just steam. I never get problems while cooking or in a sauna etc. 

3 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Never had that effect on me. So much better than smoking.

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Could be, does seem odd though if it's just steam. I never get problems while cooking or in a sauna etc. 

IIRC the lungs have no idea what is in them. That being the reason you can die in your sleep if you have a fire in the house.

It isn't those that produce a cough, but the upper respiratory/bronchial system and I would guess that system just isn't receptive to water with some people. The body responds as if you were drowning.

6 minutes ago, DTMark said:

IIRC the lungs have no idea what is in them. That being the reason you can die in your sleep if you have a fire in the house.

It isn't those that produce a cough, but the upper respiratory/bronchial system and I would guess that system just isn't receptive to water with some people. The body responds as if you were drowning.

Isn’t the specific issue that you react to the presence of carbon dioxide in your lungs (makes you feel out of breath) but not to the presence of other stuff? So, if your lungs are, say, full of nitrogen and completely lacking in oxygen you won’t notice. Then of course you pass out and die.

Posted (edited)

didnt know Dr Mengele did cig adverts, well you live and learn eh.

I wonder what the '*' text says probably something like 'may be a made up statistic' or the like.

Edited by leonardratso

6 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Some people react badly to the propylene glycol base liquid, you can get e liquid with just vegetable glycerin as the base.

5 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Cigarettes PROTECT you!

image.png.3a29520c684c9022c06b1d530cd96e9b.png

Ah but .....

Poeple point at these ads - and they are not that old - 50s/60s - and say Booo! Evil tobacco company.

Then when you review it, there's a supposed Drs acting as shills.

Again. medicine is more feudal than scientific.

Andyet people say they trust their Dr!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Vaping is not just steam, it is thickened with propylene glycol or vegetable glycol. It is basically the same stuff that produces theatrical smoke and the stuff in asthma inhalers, which have been in use for over fifty years. What is not really known is what the effect on the lungs will be if one is inhaling the stuff hundreds of times a day.

It's mostly a load of toss anyway. Nicotine is known to cause circulatory problems yet it is 'licensed' and you can get nicotine patches, tablets etc, these are positively pushed by the NHS and the health industry. 

There are so many inconsistencies over ideas of 'health' anyway. Take snuff for example. There are no documented cases of it causing harm, mainly because it has not been in widespread use since the mid 1800s. Yet the EU still insisted that every tin of snuff sold in the EU had to have a label with 'causes cancer' on it, even though there was no evidence it did cause cancer. In the end they backed down and changed it to something like 'can cause health problems' which could be said for practically everything you put in or on your body including water. 

Edited by Austin Allegro

On 15/07/2018 at 10:56, Funn3r said:

They have given up trying to keep lists of illegal substances and the law now says if it gets you high it's illegal. 

But keep chugging down those profitable poisons, amirite?!

22 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

My late Mother was told to by the Doctor to drink plenty due to medication she was on,so she ended up drinking huge quantities of diet coke as she didn't like water.

She steadily gained a lot of weight and became diabetic despite not eating a great deal, I am convinced that the diet drinks were instrumental in her decline and ultimate demise.

Sounds a bit like my father in law; was taking aspirin daily due to a heart aneurysm, developed terminal bowel cancer. I do wonder if there was a connection.

16 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

The Victorians were so fucked up it's not true....but, at the same time, built the empire & started the industrial revolution. Weird that!

It's because they weren't wanking themselves into oblivion.

9 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

image.png.3a29520c684c9022c06b1d530cd96e9b.png

I was watching the Classic Grand Prix on Sky F1 the other night, and now I could eat a whole box of Mild Sevens. Whatever they are.