• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Guest

Most overrated bands

Recommended Posts

Guest

The Charlatans. Completely elevated beyond their means. An utterly fucking irrelevant band. Piss poor singer who thinks he has some kind of talent! Deluded dickhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tabasco Kid said:

Pet Shop Boys. Shite.

Good at what they do but New Order have most of the truly great timeless tracks in their genre. Getting Away With It collaboration  better than a lot of their stuff. Their stuff is great for TV incidental music but have to admit there's not much in their oeuvre I'd want to sit and listen to on repeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SNACR said:

Kasabian

God I saw these live years ago at a festival, they were the warm-up band. They were utterly fucking shite, everyone around me was going woop-fucking-woop for them. I just found them generic and boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say The Thompson Twins but to the lead singer's eternal credit he said so himself.  They had loads of top ten singles and number ones and he came out with something like "We're a perfectly decent band but we're not that good, I don't know why we keep getting to number one when we'd be happy with getting to number twenty."

I'd disagree on The Pet Shop Boys; I think they really were that good.  The keyboards guy was a musical genius.

I had "Please" and listened to it a lot even though I'm far more of a guitar band fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 15:30, Frank Hovis said:

I would say The Thompson Twins but to the lead singer's eternal credit he said so himself.  They had loads of top ten singles and number ones and he came out with something like "We're a perfectly decent band but we're not that good, I don't know why we keep getting to number one when we'd be happy with getting to number twenty."

I'd disagree on The Pet Shop Boys; I think they really were that good.  The keyboards guy was a musical genius.

I had "Please" and listened to it a lot even though I'm far more of a guitar band fan.

Horses for courses, obviously. You like them - good. I ain't gonna change your mind. Personally I can't stand the fuckers. The Pet Shop Boys were a typical London music journalists wank bank band. Totally overrated. If the Labour Party were a band, they would be the Pet Shop Boys. Give me Soft Cell anyday. Even Peters and Lee were a better duo than that Pet Shop Boys shite. Welcome Home.

Edited by Tabasco Kid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
41 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Oasis. Crap Beatles tribute band.

Even crapper Rutles tribute band. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Stone Roses, one passable album with a lead singer that can't sing live.

They have almost mythical status amongst people who want to show they have exquisite taste in music.

Edited by M S E Refugee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2017 at 10:13, M S E Refugee said:

The Stone Roses, one passable album with a lead singer that can't sing live.

They have almost mythical status amongst people who want to show they have exquisite taste in music.

Good guitarist. Shite, as you say, singer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-5-20 at 11:13, M S E Refugee said:

The Stone Roses, one passable album with a lead singer that can't sing live.

They have almost mythical status amongst people who want to show they have exquisite taste in music.

Passable album?

One of the greatest and one of only half a dozen or so I have that I can listen all the way through.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3823983.stm

Quote

The Stone Roses' self-titled 1989 debut album has been voted the best British album of all time in a Sunday newspaper poll.

The Observer Music Monthly poll of 100 musicians and critics voted the album ahead of The Beatles' Revolver (1966)."

 

 

 

Edited by Fischer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fischer said:

Passable album?

One of the greatest and one of only half a dozen or so I have that I can listen all the way through.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3823983.stm

"

The Stone Roses' self-titled 1989 debut album has been voted the best British album of all time in a Sunday newspaper poll.

The Observer Music Monthly poll of 100 musicians and critics voted the album ahead of The Beatles' Revolver (1966)."

 

They are okay nothing more.

Like I said anyone who wants to be taken seriously about their musical taste will gush how fantastic the The Stone Roses were.

I always preferred The Happy Mondays,like The Stones Roses they also have a lead singer that cannot sing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2017 at 02:51, Tabasco Kid said:

Horses for courses, obviously. You like them - good. I ain't gonna change your mind. Personally I can't stand the fuckers. The Pet Shop Boys were a typical London music journalists wank bank band. Totally overrated. If the Labour Party were a band, they would be the Pet Shop Boys. Give me Soft Cell anyday. Even Peters and Lee were a better duo than that Pet Shop Boys shite. Welcome Home.

You know they're still going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cranberries - that bloody woman's voice haunts me to this day
U2 - why?
Coldplay - it's all just tediously dull and pointless

Pet Shop Boys - I can see both arguments. At their best, say, "Always on My Mind", you have some superb keyboard and mixing skills and Tennant's dry nasal vocal over the top works so perfectly. It is one of the most perfect 12" single remixes ever.

Even the quirky album tracks like "I Want a Dog" are listenable, "I'm Not Scared" (Patsy Kensit) bursts forth as the funky pop synth track that it is, "Suburbia" (the version on "Introspective") is superb with the over-dubbed riots exploding into the living room, and so on.

On the other hand, they don't seem to have "moved" or "changed".2016:  "The Pop Kids" (last year) is tedious and achieves nothing. It sounds just like something from 1990. OK it's supposed to be retro. "Inner Sanctum" is a bass-thumping decent but ultimately forgettable ditty. "TwentySomething" is one of their "gems" but that's mostly because of a superb video. It was all fresh once.

* NTB and I seem to agree on the middling "what purpose does this music serve? What emotions is this supposed to invoke and who is it for?" things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
11 hours ago, eight said:

You know they're still going?

Didn't know that. Don't particularly care that I don't know that either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.