• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Virgil Caine

Thanks For Murdering My Favourite Songs

This is a thread dedicated to all those singers who think performing is all about their ego and their voice rather than the song

A prime example was on this evenings Kids version of the Voice where some dreadful little Christina Aguilera  wannabe massacred  Johnny Mercer's Moon River

The girl had a strong voice but absolutely no understanding of the song so all we got were empty vocal pyrotechnics and absolutely zero interpretation of the lyrics.

She seemed to have no clue that Moon River is meant to be introspective not as some excruciating over emotional torch ballad.

The little sod needs to be forced to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's a thousand times until she realises that for all her lack of vocal range Audrey Hepburn had a better understanding of the song than she will ever possess.

These people need people need to be inarcerated in camps and forced to sing Lieutenants Pigeons Mouldy Old Dough for 20 years as punishment for their crimes

Feel free to post your own examples of similar abuse to the popular song book

Edited by Virgil Caine

I can't immediately think of examples of "over-singing" or "trying too hard" though I know I've come across these.

I can however offer the genius of what may very well be my second-favourite record of all-time, from 1979:

.. and Stock, Aitken Waterman's truly murderous "pop music" remake in 1987.

It is a competent Hi-NRG pop record. It even retains the original vocalist.

However compared with the wonderful original it is bland, soulless, and strips out just about every single thing that made the song what it was.

Madonna butt-fucking 'American Pie' to death was an absolute travesty.

It's the little rap that she does halfway through that raises it from simply dreadful to shite on an intergalactic scale.

Honourable mention to everyone's favourite redneck Kid Rock splicing together 'Werewolves of London' and 'Sweet Home Alabama' to create the musical equivalent of an aberration with four arseholes that lives on the island of Dr Moreau.

Arrant pish.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

On 16/07/2018 at 22:01, Virgil Caine said:

These people need people need to be inarcerated in camps and forced to sing Lieutenants Pigeons Mouldy Old Dough for 20 years as punishment for their crimes

I like that song. :ph34r:

11 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Without You - Harry Nilsson

Murdered by Mariah Carey

Absolutely Nilsson is mellow, Carey gets piercing..not to mention she is indulging in a bit of Craig David going off the tune and back.

OK, so this is an instrumental ruined rather than a song, but I have just heard this on a sixties internet radio station*, and at first I thought it was a wind-up.

But no, it isn't. It is for real.

Sammy Davis putting words to the Hawaii Five-0 theme tune made famous by The Ventures.

Fucking sacrilege...

Here's the original instrumental by The Ventures.

*The station is called Swinging Radio 60s, and is available on FM and DAB if you live near Havant in Hampshire. Obviously I don't, so I get it online. It really is the dog's bollocks and plays loads of sixties stuff I've never heard before. It styles itself as a tribute to pirate stations of the era, and is really good.

I listen on a very nice internet radio - but you can listen via their website if you don't own such a beast.

http://radio60s.co.uk/home/4593769344

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

On 05/08/2018 at 11:07, The XYY Man said:

Sammy Davis putting words to the Hawaii Five-0 theme tune made famous by The Ventures.

Fucking sacrilege...

XYY

Jesus Christ. O.o Was that late 1960s? I think Sammy Davis Junior was struggling career wise from then on into the 70s.

Comfortably Numb? You may well be after listening to this:

On 21/07/2018 at 09:46, Option5 said:

Tiffany's cover of Tommy James and the Shondells 'I think we're alone now'

Natalie Imbruglia's cover of Ednaswap's 'Torn'

Cheers.  Whilst I didn't think Tiffany had writtten it I didn't know it was a cover.

I do though like both remakes; Natalie's version si equally good as the original IMO owing to the different approach.

This bit of Pink Floyd "Echoes"

+ The start of Ray Repp "Till You"

= "Andrew Lloyd Webber's"  Phantom of the Opera