• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Been researching the local workhouses, many of which were magnificent late victorian piles rather than mill like shit-holes when built and came across their census records.

Taking Runcorn as an example it can be seen from their census records that they had to grade the occupants (inmates) if they didn't have an occupation or state their afflicition.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Runcorn/Runcorn1881.shtml

Running through the list you will find Imbeciles and Idiots and if curiosity gets the better of you, you will discover that there were also Morons.

Now this was a psychological term for grading I.Q. levels 100 years ago and comprised:-

Morons - I.Q. of 51-70  (Mental age of 10 - 12) capable of basic work requiring a degree of reasoning or judgement
Imbeciles  - I.Q. of 26 - 50  (Mental age of 4 - 9) simple manual work
Idiots - I.Q. of 0 - 25  (Mental age of 3 or under) self preservation

Above 70 was considered Normal and 130 Gifted.

An I.Q. of 100 is slap bang between 70 & 130 which makes you realise how bad anywhere in the world is that cannot scrape an average I.Q. of over 85.

2025775832_Screenshot-2018-7-8SomaliawhatistheaverageIQin2018IQResearch.png.77ecced23fe77615832901f3eb4d29b3.png

http://www.campbellmgold.com/archive_esoteric/morons_imbeciles_idiots.pdf

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Runcorn/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbecile

37 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Been researching the local workhouses, many of which were magnificent late victorian piles rather than mill like shit-holes when built and came across their census records.

Taking Runcorn as an example it can be seen from their census records that they had to grade the occupants (inmates) if they didn't have an occupation or state their afflicition.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Runcorn/Runcorn1881.shtml

Running through the list you will find Imbeciles and Idiots and if curiosity gets the better of you, you will discover that there were also Morons.

Now this was a psychological term for grading I.Q. levels 100 years ago and comprised:-

Morons - I.Q. of 51-70  (Mental age of 10 - 12) capable of basic work requiring a degree of reasoning or judgement
Imbeciles  - I.Q. of 26 - 50  (Mental age of 4 - 9) simple manual work
Idiots - I.Q. of 0 - 25  (Mental age of 3 or under) self preservation

Above 70 was considered Normal and 130 Gifted.

An I.Q. of 100 is slap bang between 70 & 130 which makes you realise how bad anywhere in the world is that cannot scrape an average I.Q. of over 85.

2025775832_Screenshot-2018-7-8SomaliawhatistheaverageIQin2018IQResearch.png.77ecced23fe77615832901f3eb4d29b3.png

http://www.campbellmgold.com/archive_esoteric/morons_imbeciles_idiots.pdf

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Runcorn/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbecile

I find tge iq rating pretty suspicious.

The map confirms it - look at step change between China and its neighbours.

Maybe hotter climates countries come with low iqaps - brains fried.

Oz is an experiment in progress.

57 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Maybe hotter climates countries come with low iqaps - brains fried.

That's exactly the hypothesis: cold climes require planning and equipment in order to survive, so favoured a higher IQ and the ability to forgo instant gratification.

Aus is colonized, so is an aberration. 

Just now, Bod said:

That's exactly the hypothesis: cold climes require planning and equipment in order to survive, so favoured a higher IQ and the ability to forgo instant gratification.

Aus is colonized, so is an aberration. 

Well see when it falls apart...

Just now, Virgil Caine said:

What I find interesting is how many former workhouses ended up as NHS hospitals. St Luke's in Guildford being an example. 

Hartlepool General* is another.

Opened in 1972, it was built on the former workhouse site. The workhouse itself had been extended and converted into an NHS hospital before the modern phase was built.

Part of the old workhouse formed the mortuary of the new hospital if I recall correctly.

Me and Mrs XYY enjoyed a trip to Ripon in North Yorkshire a couple of years ago, where we found their workhouse - now a museum of the workhouse - was an excellent place to visit.

There's a canny little cathedral there too...

:)

* Now known as "The University Hospital of Hartlepool".

XYY

In 1948 I remember being taken after an accident to St. David's Hospital, Cardiff as it had then become.

But everybody still called it the City Lodge, and indeed I recall seeing bottles of something or other there labelled City Lodge.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

What's the excuse in Ireland, which is now a modern developed country with a good education system?

150 years of emigration at levels unknown elsewhere in the Western world? 80 years of post-colonial angst? The control of the churches over primary education? 

3 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

150 years of emigration at levels unknown elsewhere in the Western world? 80 years of post-colonial angst? The control of the churches over primary education? 

rolling impact of a massive starvation event on the populace?

7 minutes ago, Byron said:

In 1948 I remember being taken after an accident to St. David's Hospital, Cardiff as it had then become.

But everybody still called it the City Lodge, and indeed I recall seeing bottles of something or other there labelled City Lodge.

To remember something from then puts you at least around the age of me mam - who's 74 next year.

Nice to know there's folk of your experience on here.

When I joined the 25+ part of life - I wasn't particularly interested in anything that anyone 50+ had to say.

Now I've joined the 50+ gang - I'm suddenly very interested in what the 75+ brigade have to say.

Funny how life can be...

;)

XYY

45 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

To remember something from then puts you at least around the age of me mam - who's 74 next year.

When I joined the 25+ part of life - I wasn't particularly interested in anything that anyone 50+ had to say.

Now I've joined the 50+ gang - I'm suddenly very interested in what the 75+ brigade have to say.

Funny how life can be...

;)

XYY

If you look at the photographs of workhouse inmates from the early 20th century most were elderly or disabled. It was where huge numbers of people ended their lives when they were no longer fit enough to labour. People from my grandmothers generation were terrified of ending up in such places. In reality the journey of such institutions from workhouses to geriatric hospitals and homes for the disabled was more a matter or relabelling rather than reinvention. 

In 1939 there were still over 100,000 people living in Workhouses

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workhouse_infirmary

Some were still in use as old folks homes  in the 1960s

Edited by Virgil Caine

13 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

If you look at the photographs of workhouse inmates from the early 20th century most were elderly or disabled. It was where huge numbers of people ended their lives when they were no longer fit enough to labour. People from my grandmothers generation were terrified of ending up in such places. In reality the journey of such institutions from workhouses to geriatric hospitals and homes for the disabled was more a matter or relabelling rather than reinvention. 

I'd never thought of it like that before - but it's plain as day now you mention it.

Just as I realised the truth recently that school was there just to get me ready for the factory.

Take me back in time to my birthplace a hundred-and fifty years ago, and I'm sure I'd have done the odd few months in the workhouse.

And likely died of syphilis...

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I'd never thought of it like that before - but it's plain as day now you mention it.

Just as I realised the truth recently that school was there just to get me ready for the factory.

Take me back in time to my birthplace a hundred-and fifty years ago, and I'm sure I'd have done the odd few months in the workhouse.

And likely died of syphilis...

;)

XYY

Well that is the odd point. These places started out as harsh places whose terrifying reputation lasted long after they had ceased to be so fearful. Whisper it quietly but the Welfare state and the NHS were patched together from these much older public institutions. Life was hard in the early 20th Century but the poor were not normally left to die on the streets.

Maybe we should bring the workhouses back? When I watch the underclass on the telly it type of makes me sick that junkies and thieves etc get their own houses from the taxpayer.

Imho, if you have an asbo or similar you shouldn't live in a house but a workhouse..

5 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Well that is the odd point. These places started out as harsh places whose terrifying reputation lasted long after they had ceased to be so fearful. Whisper it quietly but the Welfare state and the NHS were patched together from these much older public institutions. Life was hard in the early 20th Century but the poor were not normally left to die on the streets.

I think you are right about that.

Don't laugh - but there was an episode of "Downton Abbey" I watched during some "me and Mrs XYY time" that featured a story-line that very much chimes with your analysis of the times.

But also a visit to the website about UK workhouses will tell you that tale too.

Many of them seem to have evolved exactly as you describe.

Fascinating subject, and god-awful times.

People always seem to ask me to justify why I don't ever buy a lottery ticket.

I reply thus:

By pure random fluke I was born in the North-East of England in 1965, and not 1865. 

I've already won the bastard once...!

;)

XYY

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Hartlepool General* is another.

Opened in 1972, it was built on the former workhouse site. The workhouse itself had been extended and converted into an NHS hospital before the modern phase was built.

Part of the old workhouse formed the mortuary of the new hospital if I recall correctly.

Me and Mrs XYY enjoyed a trip to Ripon in North Yorkshire a couple of years ago, where we found their workhouse - now a museum of the workhouse - was an excellent place to visit.

There's a canny little cathedral there too...

:)

* Now known as "The University Hospital of Hartlepool".

XYY

The former workhouse in my town is now a takeaway restaurant.

25 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Maybe we should bring the workhouses back? When I watch the underclass on the telly it type of makes me sick that junkies and thieves etc get their own houses from the taxpayer.

Imho, if you have an asbo or similar you shouldn't live in a house but a workhouse..

The problem with that would be that nowadays, for each moron or imbecile actually doing any work, you would have 25 idiots holding clipboards and staring blankly at a computer screen or smartphone.

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

The former workhouse in my town is now a takeaway restaurant.

Which may indeed be the ultimate irony.

Because that's where many of the illegal immigrants in this country end up working for fuck-all.

And they are the lucky ones.

Let's face it, feeding the fat, lazy, kebab-eating cunts suckling on the tit of the UK state - while simultaneously watching Jeremy Kyle and fucking their sister all day - is never gonna be a particularly popular, nor lucrative way to earn a living.

A bit like the workhouse if you like.

Two-thousand-and-fucking-eighteen style...!!!

;)

XYY

4 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

The problem with that would be that nowadays, for each moron or imbecile actually doing any work, you would have 25 idiots holding clipboards and staring blankly at a computer screen or smartphone.

I'm reading your post on a smartphone. 

What are you trying to tell me. :Old:

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Funny how life can be...

;)

XYY

I am a little bit older than your Mam, sonny!

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

People weren't sent to the workhouse, they asked to stay there out of desperation, as a last resort.

6 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I think you are right about that.

Don't laugh - but there was an episode of "Downton Abbey" I watched during some "me and Mrs XYY time" that featured a story-line that very much chimes with your analysis of the times.

But also a visit to the website about UK workhouses will tell you that tale too.

Many of them seem to have evolved exactly as you describe.

Fascinating subject, and god-awful times.

People always seem to ask me to justify why I don't ever buy a lottery ticket.

I reply thus:

By pure random fluke I was born in the North-East of England in 1965, and not 1865. 

I've already won the bastard once...!

;)

XYY

No. That’s a £10 scratchcard win.

The lottery win is being born in YORKSHIRE*

* I hear time and time and time again 

7 hours ago, ccc said:

I'm reading your post on a smartphone. 

What are you trying to tell me. :Old:

I think you are all right and aren’t staring blankly like the idiot admins I last encountered in the UK.