• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Carney wants to end the RPI figures? Is this true?

Been reading on some US financial sites that Carney wants to get rid of the RPI. Speculation that inflation is far higher than Carney or BOE is admitting and hence getting rid of the RPI will enable them to keep the plates spinning longer, hide the real inflation.

If true this could very rapidly lead to a currency crisis and some kind of collapse. BREXIT will be blamed but it will be decades of mismanagement, incompetence and the usual brown envelope corruption.

I thought they didn't bother reporting RPI anymore, don't know about getting rid altogether - I've a shed load of RPI linked NS & I certificates, what they going to link them to?

Well we've seen this before. When the FED ended the reporting of M3 money supply.

And also during the 1990s during the Clinton Administration, the CPI methodology changed. 

We don't need RPI, when we have CPI.

Why not simply abandon the whole sorry pretense and, instead of the Bank of England producing any of its array of fictional stats, simply reprint random year’s figures of an obscure sports Argus.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

RPI is no longer an approved measure as of 1 - 2 years' ago.

I don't wish to brag but was up at the BoE this morning discussing with them the replacement interest rate measure for LIBOR which is ending in 2021.

Its ok that would be nothing to brag about in the first place. :Old:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rpi.asp

RPI was first calculated for June 1947, largely replacing the previous Interim Index of Retail Prices. It was once the principal official measure of inflation. However, the CPI now largely serves that purpose in practice.

The UK government still uses RPI for some purposes, such as figuring the amounts payable on index-linked securities, including index-linked gilts and social housing rent increases. British employers also use it as a starting point in wage negotiation. However, since 2003, it has no longer been used to set the inflation target for the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee, and since April 2011, it has no longer been used as the basis for the indexation of the pensions of former public sector employees. Since 2016, the UK state pension has been indexed by the highest of the increase in average earnings, CPI or a rate of 2.5 percent.

If it's used for BoE pension increases and if it's higher than cpi then I expect they'll probably retain it but only for in-house purposes.

Edited by twocents

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't wish to brag but was up at the BoE this morning discussing with them the replacement interest rate measure for LIBOR which is ending in 2021.

So, what you are saying frank is that you are to blame for the financial mess?  o.O

xD kidding, I hope you told them it straight. 

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I feel kinda proud that Carney is posting on here but I also still wish to say cnut. ūü§£

32 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Been reading on some US financial sites that Carney wants to get rid of the RPI. Speculation that inflation is far higher than Carney or BOE is admitting and hence getting rid of the RPI will enable them to keep the plates spinning longer, hide the real inflation.

If true this could very rapidly lead to a currency crisis and some kind of collapse. BREXIT will be blamed but it will be decades of mismanagement, incompetence and the usual brown envelope corruption.

One of the reasons i voted for Brexit was that TPB wouldn't be able to resist pulling the chain with cover in place.

It will now also be done out of pure spite i'm sure. 

49 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I'll be happy for them to stop calculating it, as it'll stop me spending my dotage forever calculating the gap in my deferred civil service pension caused by their back fucking dated switch to CPI from RPI.

Robbing fucking bastards.

:PissedOff: