DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Landlords waiting 118 days to evict problem tenants but are losing up to six months’ rent

sancho panza

sancho panza

With yields as low as they are, they can surely cross subsidize for eternal growth.

makes you wonder how much the other 15,000 lose who don't get to eviction.

http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/landlords-waiting-118-days-to-evict-tenants-but-are-losing-up-to-six-months-rent/

'Private landlords are potentially facing six months without rent due to the length of time it is taking to initiate and complete eviction proceedings against tenants, an insurer has warned.

Simple Landlords Insurance has analysed recent data from the Ministry of Justice covering the first quarter of this year, showing it takes 118 days from initiating court proceedings to a county court bailiff repossessing a property from a tenant.

The amount of time is down from 21.8 weeks or 153 days at the end of 2017, but the provider warns that by the time you factor in the two months of rental arrears needed before a Section 21 eviction notice can be issued, landlords may be facing six months without any rent.

Analysis of the Ministry of Justice data shows there were 21,429 possession claims were brought to court last year, of which 6,260 ended in eviction by bailiff.

Landlord possession claim rates were highly concentrated in London, with eight of the ten highest rates in the London region. Greenwich had the highest rate at 426 per 100,000 households.

Tom Cooper, director of underwriting at Simple Landlords Insurance, said: “The good news for everyone is that in 2017 only 0.5% of landlords made a possession claim in court.

“Only a third of those had to go through to the bitter bailiff end. The bad news is that if it does happen to you, it can cost a lot of money – and not just the average £1,700-£2,000 in legal fees.

“We wanted to get a more realistic idea of the impact of the process in terms of lost income, inconvenience, and ongoing legal fees in the worst and longest case scenarios.

“Just looking at lost rent, there are few landlords who can afford to lose up to six months’ worth – the time it takes for a tenant to go into arrears, for them to issue a Section 21 notice, and then for them wait 17 weeks to see the court process through.”'

One percent

My mate has just been royally screwed over by a letting agent. 

Property in Cambridge, her in Yorkshire. In the hands of a letting agent, found tenants (700 quid finders fee plus lots of other charges). 

Charging her 200 a month to ‘manage’ the property. 

Tenants give notice, lett8ng agents find new tenants

mate goes to Cambridge to check on property. Totally wrecked and the letting agent hasn’t bothered monitoring it. 

New tenants apparently don’t exist so a void at present. 

She is not happy   

21,429 possession claims were brought to court last year, of which 6,260 ended in eviction

"Those figures are STAGGERING. Who in the life of F**K are the more than fifteen THOUSAND utter scumbags getting away with not paying the rent? What in holy HELL kind of scumbag doesn't respond to having the rents just banged the F**K up on them followed by a series of threatening letters to throw their pathetic little scumbag families out on the street?"

3 minutes ago, Wig said:

21,429 possession claims were brought to court last year, of which 6,260 ended in eviction

"Those figures are STAGGERING. Who in the life of F**K are the more than fifteen THOUSAND utter scumbags getting away with not paying the rent? What in holy HELL kind of scumbag doesn't respond to having the rents just banged the F**K up on them followed by a series of threatening letters to throw their pathetic little scumbag families out on the street?"

Bit mathicist mate.

We can say Fuck here. And cunt. And landlord.

56 minutes ago, One percent said:

My mate has just been royally screwed over by a letting agent. 

Property in Cambridge, her in Yorkshire. In the hands of a letting agent, found tenants (700 quid finders fee plus lots of other charges). 

Charging her 200 a month to ‘manage’ the property. 

Tenants give notice, lett8ng agents find new tenants

mate goes to Cambridge to check on property. Totally wrecked and the letting agent hasn’t bothered monitoring it. 

New tenants apparently don’t exist so a void at present. 

She is not happy   

If you let a house you cannot keep and eye on then you risk getting screwed over.

There's a stanard routine in Co Durham.

Mr + Mrs Southern LL get a place and advertise for tenant.

Then Family scum turn up. And take it on, full rent.

Tne dont pay anythign after the first rent.

If your lucky, youll be able to get a hosue filled with dog shit back in 6 months time.

If youre unlucky tne all the heating pipes and boiler will be took.

One percent
Just now, spygirl said:

If you let a house you cannot keep and eye on then you risk getting screwed over.

If your lucky, youll be able to get a hosue filled with dog shit back in 6 months time.

These people did pay the rent. Apparently they were doctors at Cambridge. Yeah, fight, I bet they tell all the absent landlords that one. 

The place was filthy (after the letting agents had done a ‘professional clean’ and charged for it. Toilet, shower, freezer, worktop, all broken. What exactly do people do to do that amount of damage in six months?  

Chewing Grass
10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Apparently they were doctors at Cambridge.

What does that mean these days?

One percent
2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

What does that mean these days?

Quite. I think the message was that they were academics. That should have set alarm bells ringing for a start 

22 minutes ago, One percent said:

These people did pay the rent. Apparently they were doctors at Cambridge. Yeah, fight, I bet they tell all the absent landlords that one. 

The place was filthy (after the letting agents had done a ‘professional clean’ and charged for it. Toilet, shower, freezer, worktop, all broken. What exactly do people do to do that amount of damage in six months?  

Can't blame the tenants...some people just live like animals/just have no idea of cleanliness....I would want to know what my letting agent was doing for their £200 a month though...and what ref checks they did for the £700...oh, and I can only assume their idea of professional cleaning is the same as the tenants!...I find the problem with a lot of landlords is greed though, they find a good tenant, keep them for 6 months, try to up the rent and then lose them. This is then followed by trouble tenants that then cost them more in both time and money...false economy but a lot never seem to learn the lesson!

One percent
4 minutes ago, MrXxx said:

Can't blame the tenants...some people just live like animals/just have no idea of cleanliness....I would want to know what my letting agent was doing for their £200 a month though...and what ref checks they did for the £700...oh, and I can only assume their idea of professional cleaning is the same as the tenants!...I find the problem with a lot of landlords is greed though, they find a good tenant, keep them for 6 months, try to up the rent and then lose them. This is then followed by trouble tenants that then cost them more in both time and money...false economy but a lot never seem to learn the lesson!

But, but, they were Cambridge academics. xD  I bet all the tenants are. Even those son bennies. 

In this case it was due to relocation and not being able to sell for the imagined price. I would have just taken the hit. 

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Simple Landlords Insurance has analysed recent data from the Ministry of Justice covering the first quarter of this year, showing it takes 118 days from initiating court proceedings to a county court bailiff repossessing a property from a tenant.

118 days to get your property back?

Now where have I seen property and 118 in the same sentence before?

Feck me, they are almost prophetic!

leonardratso
39 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

118 days to get your property back?

Now where have I seen property and 118 in the same sentence before?

Feck me, they are almost prophetic!

hahaha you beat me to it, was just about to type similar.

What exactly is the 118 in the property website? is it a pun on the 118 118 adverts? or like you say, something more sinister, does the owner have a time machine and was able to see the 118 days to evict in advance by travelling to now before returning to setup the prop 118 webshite.

leonardratso
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

bit durhamphobicist mr.

Its not merely a NE phenomena, its also a thing in a lot of the shittier parts of yorks+lancs, probably nationwide to be honest.

Just a bit of sport for the locals.

5 hours ago, One percent said:

About 10 years ago my sister let out her flat while she was in Spain for a couple of years.. 

2 Doctors from India rented it, 1 was a heart surgeon.. If you could see the shit up the walls, the kitchen, the carpet.. just filth everywhere.. 

you would know why there is so much MRSA in hospitals.. had to get a company in the steam clean the whole flat.. 

leonardratso
4 hours ago, macca said:

About 10 years ago my sister let out her flat while she was in Spain for a couple of years.. 

2 Doctors from India rented it, 1 was a heart surgeon.. If you could see the shit up the walls, the kitchen, the carpet.. just filth everywhere.. 

you would know why there is so much MRSA in hospitals.. had to get a company in the steam clean the whole flat.. 

and then burn it down.

11 hours ago, leonardratso said:

bit durhamphobicist mr.

Its not merely a NE phenomena, its also a thing in a lot of the shittier parts of yorks+lancs, probably nationwide to be honest.

No, no, no...I think you are correct, must be a Northern Barbarians thing as us in the South are all gentlefolk (and doctors)...I would go as far to say that when the Romans built the wall it was about 200 miles too far north, it should have started at Watford!

29 minutes ago, MrXxx said:

No, no, no...I think you are correct, must be a Northern Barbarians thing as us in the South are all gentlefolk (and doctors)...I would go as far to say that when the Romans built the wall it was about 200 miles too far north, it should have started at Watford!

But then what would the southern women have done for sex being as all southern men are queer, shandy drinking vegetarians.

On 18/07/2018 at 22:31, leonardratso said:

bit durhamphobicist mr.

No.

I mention county Durham as people, mainly from the South, have poured in to buy housing - mainly because its cheap and they alooking to milk  housing benefits.

Places like Donny and Scunny Boro etc are similar.

leonardratso
13 minutes ago, spygirl said:

No.

I mention county Durham as people, mainly from the South, have poured in to buy housing - mainly because its cheap and they alooking to milk  housing benefits.

Places like Donny and Scunny Boro etc are similar.

well, its up to the durhamers to show the southerners some northern hospitality, Im sure they appreciate being milked and bilked by the shandy drinkers.

Im hoping that they lose their shirts and the durhamers just carry on as normal, its always best to dive into markets and areas you have no experience of and assume they will be easy pickings or at least operate like your local area i assume. Ps. ive only been bankrupt 8 times.

On 18/07/2018 at 21:11, MrXxx said:

Can't blame the tenants...some people just live like animals/just have no idea of cleanliness....I would want to know what my letting agent was doing for their £200 a month though...

Banking it.

23 hours ago, Banned said:

But then what would the southern women have done for sex being as all southern men are queer, shandy drinking vegetarians.

I take offence at your comment!...I don't drink Shandy..it's far too strong for me, I much prefer Caliber (blast from the past if you are old enough to remember it).

3 minutes ago, MrXxx said:

I take offence at your comment!...I don't drink Shandy..it's far too strong for me, I much prefer Caliber (blast from the past if you are old enough to remember it).

I must remember it better than you do, it's called Kaliber (and amazingly it's still available!!) :D

1 minute ago, MrXxx said:

...and does it still taste like piss?! Ah, the good old days eh?

Dunno, only ever tried it once, and to think, it's made by Guinness

2 hours ago, Option5 said:

I must remember it better than you do, it's called Kaliber (and amazingly it's still available!!) :D

Billy Connolly used to advertise that on TV.

I remember buying a pint of it in the mid 1990s when I was just old enough to drink. Didn't realise it was 0% alcohol! :$

Archived