• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Libspero

Spanish Holiday Advice

Hoping for a bit of holiday advice.. I'm trying to organise a holiday for three adults and four kids age 1, 2, 9 and 11.

Was hoping for somewhere Spanish speaking and am coming down on somewhere on the Spanish costa. 

Problem is I'm not really very familiar with it from the point of view of package holidays and child oriented entertainment.

Can anyone recommend a good area with loads of kids entertainment and attractions?  Was thinking of booking something Thomas Cook just for the simplicity but am open to suggestions on that too.

Any advice from the DOSBODs massive?

Not sure what entertainment for the kids you are looking for but if it is cultural entertainment, then Seville is fantastic. Steeped in history. A moorish palace and a bull ring are two attractions worth a visit. The centre is very unspoilt and oozing charm. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Not sure what entertainment for the kids you are looking for but if it is cultural entertainment, then Seville is fantastic. Steeped in history. A moorish palace and a bull ring are two attractions worth a visit. The centre is very unspoilt and oozing charm. 

you can walk round loudly teaching your kids about the 1400 year struggle against the muslim invaders of europe.  That'll be fun.

Just now, wherebee said:

you can walk round loudly teaching your kids about the 1400 year struggle against the muslim invaders of europe.  That'll be fun.

The Spanish did xD  I had a private, after hours tour and it was very interesting. 

I have no idea where this is in Spain. Just typed Spain, 3 adults, 4 kids, June, into airbnb as an example.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/5932109?guests=7&adults=3&children=4&location=Spain&check_in=2017-06-16&s=kqEJre8I

Edit:

Package is probably best as you get safeguards if there are strikes, terrorists close airports, etc, such as the tour company have to find you accomodation and get you home.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

If you can afford it and you actually want a holiday rather than just a change of air, try these... Even with all those kids, you might still get to do something for yourselves. Told they're pretty good, Club Med(who are brilliant with kids) are opening two clubs in Spain but that's next year.

http://www.markwarner.co.uk/family-holidays/summer

If you just want to do full time childcare yourselves in the sun, TMTs option looks nice and there are millions of others.

Edited by swissy_fit

24 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

What's the budget? 

Well,  sadly my sisters kids are at school so we're looking at peak season, middle of the summer.

The price range on Thomas cook was about £4K to £6k+ for one week regardless of Majorca, Menorca or the main costa.  If we can keep the budget down that would be nice,  but equally I don't want to be too tight if it will suck all of the enjoyment out of it.  Doesn't have to be all inclusive,  but again the difference in price between all in and half board seems minimal..  everything seems to be sold to a price point.

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

Well,  sadly my sisters kids are at school so we're looking at peak season, middle of the summer.

The price range on Thomas cook was about £4K to £6k+ for one week regardless of Majorca, Menorca or the main costa.  If we can keep the budget down that would be nice,  but equally I don't want to be too tight if it will suck all of the enjoyment out of it.  Doesn't have to be all inclusive,  but again the difference in price between all in and half board seems minimal..  everything seems to be sold to a price point.

Were you planning on chartering the whole plane?  o.O

Not sure if this is helpful but anyways, we went to Albufeira in Portugal. We booked a villa just outside in a place called Sao Rafael last easter. The kids absolutely loved it, the beaches were nice and clean and it was a very nice holiday. Lots to see and do up and down the coastline if you fancy it. I was really impressed and the kids were saying they want to go back again (aged 7 and 5). I think we used Villabookers.

Ive always like Sutches ip from Barcelona.

You can get a big apartment, supermarkets fir food or eat out.

Less Hidihi than a resort. 

The beach is good for kids. And cheap teain to barcelona for aquarium and that.

Watch out for Roma.

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

I wish..!  

That was the price for all 7 of us though not per person.

Feck me. I don't often venture abroad because of the hound. I thought that it was meant to be far cheaper than vacationing in the UK.  That might be a plan.  A large house in the uk.  The Lake District is nice and lots for the kids to do, but may be a bit simple for the tastes of kids today. 

Things that all the kids would enjoy together would probably include beach, aquarium, water park, kids parks, soft play areas etc.  Then somewhere with a few places to eat out and trash tourist shops to buy the kids junk and ice creams.

I'm thinking proper "Benidorm" type package holiday affair.

I will check out some of the suggestions.  We liked Portugal a lot as a couple (also went to Albuferia and loved it) but was hoping for something Spanish speaking if possible (trying to get some practice in for the kids with a view to doing Mexico next year).

I have to say that the all inc. Are shocking good cale compared to the uk.

Ive seen some out of school hols where you can go for 2 weeks everythingn inc.

They might ge set back from the beach and the food not highest end but i know done mums who swear by yhem - no cooking, no 80 dinner bill.

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Feck me. I don't often venture abroad because of the hound. I thought that it was meant to be far cheaper than vacationing in the UK.  That might be a plan.  A large house in the uk.  The Lake District is nice and lots for the kids to do, but may be a bit simple for the tastes of kids today. 

My sisters kids do the UK every year and love it (this will be their first time on a plane),  but we wanted to do something a bit different and all together. 

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I am expecting s terrorist attack on tourists in Spain this summer. One of the resorts full of Brits, Krauts and others. Probably best to leave your booking until after it happens.

Err..   cheers TMT :P

I am old enough to remember that the Spanish resort all inclusives began as winter holidays for retired Brits. It used to work out cheaper for retired Brits to spend the winter in Spain than staying at home and paying heating bills.

3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

My sisters kids do the UK every year and love it (this will be their first time on a plane),  but we wanted to do something a bit different and all together. 

Err..   cheers TMT :P

I did wonder whether May will announce a terror warning in Spain and advise Brits not to travel there just to piss off the Spanish re Gib - a timely reminded to Spain and the EU of our importance.

I was going to suggest Tenerife and hopeful beat me to it. 

Los Christianos (spelling?) is meant to be the quitter end but I've not been there for a while.  There are bits and bobs such as glass bottomed boats and pedloes.  Los Americas (spelling) is just down the road and more lively. 

I would certainly avoid the Balearic Islands - there seems to be a lot of security alerts, false alarms and real extra vigilance going on at Majorca airport. Loads of long queues on departures so, haing monitoried the reports for a few months now, it gives the impression that they have some suspicions.