• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Melchett

The end of Dr Who?

1 minute ago, NewryH said:

Just because Nicola Bryant was mentioned.  Boy I'm glad I watched it pre diversity equality and all that.

NB.png

I think I only watched it during that period (aligning with own my hormonal teenager with a permanent stiffee period) for her tits and Tegan's legs.

22 hours ago, DeepLurker said:

The writing became really poor IMO around the time Capaldi joined . Since then I've watched clips on YouTube, and one thing sticks in my mind - the assistants change regularly, and seem designed to fill a Diversity Quota requirement - one gay, one lesbian, a black, a blue, probably an Apache Attack Helicopter too.

I'd like to bet that Peter Dinklage has already been approached to join the cast of Dr Who - not because of his impressive acting skills, but simply because he's a bloody dwarf and so the So-Called BBC could tick off another box on their Diversity checklist >:(

*cough* Ghostbusters.

They've already had a dwarf in it - Warwick Davis.

19 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

I remember that scene vividly, even though I last saw it 55 years ago!

Can't watch the video... looks like a fucking machine from the still... bet that was a shock over Sunday lunch.

19 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

I would have liked to see Malcolm Tucker as Dr. Who. 

Ah, what could have been...

6 hours ago, Melchett said:

I think I only watched it during that period (aligning with own my hormonal teenager with a permanent stiffee period) for her tits and Tegan's legs.

Jo Grant and her micro skirts fwoarr the occasional knicker shot as well.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Jo Grant and her micro skirts fwoarr the occasional knicker shot as well.

Had to look her up..... or is it Katy Manning? 

image.png.5811edd599d5fb7e3b5332d03c9ec9a7.png

Edited by onlyme

Not a fan but just had a whip through the female companions. Early 80s and prior do it for me, Leela's knickers were nice, shame about the face

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

Another interesting fact. Delia Derbyshire who composed the original Dr Who theme which ran from 1963-1979 did not like Keff McCulloch's arrangement at all (theme 87-89). She felt it strayed too far from Ron Grainer's original because he introduced an extra beat to the bar. Personally, l do not agree. It made the theme sound menacing again while complimenting the new CGI opening perfectly. And it was nice to hear the 'middle 8' section in the open credits for the first time since Hartnell's era.

Plenty of remixes - take your pick at WhoMix

Edited by Happy Renting

On 19/07/2018 at 21:40, Frank Hovis said:

They've broken it by putting a woman actor in the role.

I don't watch it but this seems daft. It should probably be renamed 'Nurse Who' B|

What could have been... Richard Hearne

'Mr Pastry'

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richard Hearne as Mr Pastry.jpg
Richard Hearne as Mr Pastry

Richard Lewis Hearne, OBE (30 January 1908 – 23 August 1979[1][2]) was an English actor, comedian, producer and writer. He is best remembered for his stage and television character Mr Pastry.[3]

Career

Hearne was born in Norwich, Norfolk, in 1908, the son of Richard and Lily May Hearne. Richard senior came from a theatrical family – his mother had been on the stage and he himself was a performing acrobat. Hearne worked on and off for the BBC for thirty years; he became the first performer to be known as a "television star" and also the first to have his own television series.[citation needed] The series, with the theme tune "Pop Goes The Weasel", had episodes lasting 25 minutes in which Hearne assumed the character of "Mr Pastry" – an old man with a walrus moustache, dressed in a black suit or raincoat and with a trademark bowler hat. Each week, the bumbling old man would have adventures, partly slapstick, partly comic dance, with two young friends. Jon Pertwee also starred in the show in a variety of roles.

The Mr Pastry character had originated in the 1936 stage show Big Boy in which Hearne had appeared with Fred Emney. A Mr Pastry film was subsequently made but portrayed the lead character as a pathetic figure coming out of prison and totally different from the TV series' bumbling comic.

He was interviewed for the starring role of the So-Called BBC series Doctor Who after the departure of Jon Pertwee, but a disagreement over his interpretation of the role (he wanted to play the Doctor as Mr Pastry) led to no offer being made by the producer, Barry Letts. The role was subsequently offered to Tom Baker.[6]

I'm not starting a new thread for it but there is a Buffy reboot coming.  In a nod to political correctness Buffy is now black but as long as it's still the essential character (goofy teen schoolgirl who happens to slay vampires) that's being played then that's fine.

If she's going to be a black SJW lesbian who hates Trump however: not so fine.

Joss Wheedon's involved so it shouldn't be too different.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44911405

38 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm not starting a new thread for it but there is a Buffy reboot coming.  In a nod to political correctness Buffy is now black but as long as it's still the essential character (goofy teen schoolgirl who happens to slay vampires) that's being played then that's fine.

I live in hope for this, after all the TV show was way better than the movie, despite initial cynicism that it couldn't possibly be. Who now remembers the movie when they think Buffy?

Posted (edited)
On 20/07/2018 at 15:24, Frank Hovis said:

Wow, Peri. 

tumblr_mbpkioGUOf1qcwhkeo9_r1_400.gif

Aye, a very fine woman.

She appears in two-part finale of the excellent made by fans show "Star Trek Continues" which was filmed last October if you want to see her as she is now.

And if you can get past the fact it's different actors playing Jim Kirk and the crew  - and I did very easily - all 11 episodes are well worth watching.

The reason it was so easy to take to was the sheer attention to detail these fans have applied to make this look and sound EXACTLY like the 60s original. It is stunning.

And Scotty is played by James Doohan's real-life son. His acting and his Scottish accent are both worse than his fathers...!

As well as 11 full episodes, there are also 3 vignettes. You should watch the first one (below) where the new cast do the last five minutes of the final episode of the 60s series "Turnabout Intruder".

Check out the set, the sounds of the Enterprise, the incidental music and even the end credits - the people that made this fucking LOVE Star Trek...!

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

Got to agree XYY, I devoured all the episodes of Star Trek Continues. Way better that the stuff that Paramount puts out under the Trek name. However, alas, it seems that Paramount is well aware that fan-Trek is typically better than their own official offerings, so have killed this and all other fanTreks in the courts.

Yes, it's their IP, but if they didn't make such crap under the Trek name and if the fan stuff wasn't so good in comparison there wouldn't be a problem.

incidentally, I didn't recognise the actress. Good spot.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Isn't Buffy *the* stereotypically WASP womans name though?

Edited by Panther

Posted (edited)

Oh, with my cock mind tied-up with thoughts of Nicola Bryant, I forgot to mention the other Doctor Who connection with Star Trek Continues.

Her mate Colin Baker guest stars in episode 4...

stc-colin-baker.jpg

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

50 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Got to agree XYY, I devoured all the episodes of Star Trek Continues. Way better that the stuff that Paramount puts out under the Trek name. However, alas, it seems that Paramount is well aware that fan-Trek is typically better than their own official offerings, so have killed this and all other fanTreks in the courts.

Yes, it's their IP, but if they didn't make such crap under the Trek name and if the fan stuff wasn't so good in comparison there wouldn't be a problem.

incidentally, I didn't recognise the actress. Good spot.

I knew straight away that I recognised the actress - but I was racking my brain as to who she was for a good twenty minutes until the penny finally dropped.

I think it was her (natural) English accent that had my grey-matter scrambled.

If she'd only been doing her American one from Dr Who - then I'd have probably twigged who she was in a few seconds.

Anyway, she's still worth one...

;)

XYY

On 19/07/2018 at 21:42, Happy Renting said:

It's a children's programme.

It's more effective when you are a kid, this scared the shit out of me aged six in 1970. Shop dummies seemed a bit sinister after that. Stopped watching after Tom Baker.

they made the dr a bit liberal,he was origionaly a ruthless fker.family of blood was about the only recentish episode that showed his ruthless side even then he went out of his way to protect them,tom baker and mr pertwee would have wiped there race out.sadly john hurt died he played the war dr for about 30 seconds.i stoped watching after 3 episodes of peter whats his name.

Posted (edited)
On 20/07/2018 at 11:36, Admiral Pepe said:

I thought the comic book stuff had been infested with SJW's. I'm pretty sure a while ago I read Iron man was now a black woman.

Ironing Woman you're thinking of

And without wanting to derail the thread the adaptation of Good Omens is going to be released shortly with a pretty decent cast, co-written by Neil Gaiman who also wrote a few decent Dr Who episodes.

Edited by Fossildog

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

If Wheedon is involved then that's why Buffy is now black. He's one of the biggest virtue signallers in Hollywood.

Grade A beta cuck trying to get some by embracing 'feminism'. Ask his ex wife how that turned out. Wouldn't surprise me if he's another Weinstein.

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Oh, with my cock mind tied-up with thoughts of Nicola Bryant, I forgot to mention the other Doctor Who connection with Star Trek Continues.

Her mate Colin Baker guest stars in episode 4...

stc-colin-baker.jpg

XYY

One piece of trivia:

Colin Baker actually appeared in the show before he became the Doctor.

He played Security Commander Maxil in the Peter Davison story "Arc of Infinity" and at one point actually shot his prior incarnation.

350?cb=20150518053154

1 hour ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

If Wheedon is involved then that's why Buffy is now black. He's one of the biggest virtue signallers in Hollywood.

Grade A beta cuck trying to get some by embracing 'feminism'. Ask his ex wife how that turned out. Wouldn't surprise me if he's another Weinstein.

Still. Buffy is probably the best tv show ever made.