• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Melchett

The end of Dr Who?

5 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I don't think anyone was really hated, albeit Peter Capaldi's darker character didn't go down well with the kids.

Ironically Peter Davison was felt to be miscast at the time as people knew him from other series - something that hadn't happened before. Yet he played a character with fallibility which was somewhat missing with Tom Baker's tenure. He also benefited from a string of really strong stories.

Colin Baker, who came after, started badly and it went rather downhill from there. The writing - especially for his first scene - was.. ill-judged. With the benefit of time it's thought that he was under-estimated.

Tom Baker was the longest-serving Doctor, with 7 years in the role, and one of the most memorable for a whole variety of reasons. He made the show his own and that brought him into conflict with the then-producer who wanted to go for a darker, more serious feel to the show. Tom's ego and his falling out with John Nathan-Turner would be his end.

Series lead Incarnation Tenure[note 5]
William Hartnell First Doctor 1963–66
Patrick Troughton Second Doctor 1966–69
Jon Pertwee Third Doctor 1970–74
Tom Baker Fourth Doctor 1974–81
Peter Davison Fifth Doctor 1982–84
Colin Baker Sixth Doctor 1984–86
Sylvester McCoy Seventh Doctor 1987–89
Paul McGann Eighth Doctor 1996
Christopher Eccleston Ninth Doctor 2005
David Tennant Tenth Doctor 2005–10
Matt Smith Eleventh Doctor 2010–13
Peter Capaldi Twelfth Doctor 2014–17
Jodie Whittaker Thirteenth Doctor 2018–present

Your a mega fan DT , it may seem shallow to you with non fans but to us it was Tom with his eccentric acting and scarf with the added extra of K 9 

Baker, Davidson and Baker was the golden era?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I don't think anyone was really hated, albeit Peter Capaldi's darker character didn't go down well with the kids.

Ironically Peter Davison was felt to be miscast at the time as people knew him from other series - something that hadn't happened before. Yet he played a character with fallibility which was somewhat missing with Tom Baker's tenure. He also benefited from a string of really strong stories.

Colin Baker, who came after, started badly and it went rather downhill from there. The writing - especially for his first scene - was.. ill-judged. With the benefit of time it's thought that he was under-estimated.

Tom Baker was the longest-serving Doctor, with 7 years in the role, and one of the most memorable for a whole variety of reasons. He made the show his own and that brought him into conflict with the then-producer who wanted to go for a darker, more serious feel to the show. Tom's ego and his falling out with John Nathan-Turner would be his end.

Series lead Incarnation Tenure[note 5]
William Hartnell First Doctor 1963–66
Patrick Troughton Second Doctor 1966–69
Jon Pertwee Third Doctor 1970–74
Tom Baker Fourth Doctor 1974–81
Peter Davison Fifth Doctor 1982–84
Colin Baker Sixth Doctor 1984–86
Sylvester McCoy Seventh Doctor 1987–89
Paul McGann Eighth Doctor 1996
Christopher Eccleston Ninth Doctor 2005
David Tennant Tenth Doctor 2005–10
Matt Smith Eleventh Doctor 2010–13
Peter Capaldi Twelfth Doctor 2014–17
Jodie Whittaker Thirteenth Doctor 2018–present

I always think Sylvester McCoy got a lot of unfair stick - totally stole the scene every time he was on screen in the Hobbit trilogy as well.

I remember the Paul McGann one because it features a very late model Range Rover Classic four door soft dash, I think with Brooklands body kit.

Edited by SNACR

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Probably resprayed the Tardis in Rainbow and they’re waiting for it to dry.

Up above the streets and houses, rainbow climbing high.

Everyone can see him smiling, over the sky.

Paint...

The...

Whole...

World...

With...

A...

RAINBOW...!!!

Dum, dum, dum de da dum dum...

Has anyone on here who claims to be a "friend of the stars" fucked Jane out of "Rod, Jane and Freddy"...?

Apart from Rod and Freddy that is...!

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

5 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Paint...

The...

Whole...

World...

With...

A...

RAINBOW...!!!

Anyone on here fucked Jane out of "Rod, Jane and Freddy"...?

Apart from Rod and Freddy that is...

;)

XYY

Paint...

The...

Whole...

World...

With...

A...

RAINBOW...!!!

Anyone on here fucked Jane out of "Rod, Jane and Freddy"...?

Apart from Rod and Freddy that is...

;)

XYY

Well I suppose in some cultures men can take multiple wives, so she’s a bit of a trail blazer.

13 minutes ago, ninjaborrower said:

Your a mega fan DT , it may seem shallow to you with non fans but to us it was Tom with his eccentric acting and scarf with the added extra of K 9 

Baker, Davidson and Baker was the golden era?

It was, so far as "Doctor Who mania" is concerned. The viewing figures were spectacular in the Baker > Davison era. It really was a national treasure.

If anyone fancies dipping back into the series, I'd really recommend seeing some Peter Davison stories and contrasting them with Tom Baker.

Aside from the lead actor, the writing - the writers - the themes - were very much reflections of their time.

K-9 was fantastic. It's a perfect example of a device that can help the show bridge an obvious gap between kids and adults. If you liked K-9, I really recommend seeing the spin-off with Sarah Jane.

It's of its time, but it was beautifully done. The titles make it seem really childish in retrospect but it was a great story. She even has an incredibly rare convertible Metro..

Oh, this brings back memories. I have this on VHS..

31 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I always think Sylvester McCoy got a lot of unfair stick - totally stole the scene every time he was on screen in the Hobbit trilogy as well.

Sylvester McCoy's tenure coincided with a shift in the series towards children and Doctor Who suffers every time it does so. People aged - say - 16 to 21 would have felt rather embarrassed watching in front of parents. Yes, back in those days, many houses had one television. It also suffered with cost constraints as so many viewers had been lost. Some of the stories could have been realised so beautifully with a decent budget.

The huge irony is that while his companion "Ace" was running around whacking Daleks with a baseball bat that had the accompaniment of childish noises and silly visual effects, actually, two stories really stand out.

One was written by a fan and really gave her the chance to shine - and she did - and the other was one that was visually silly in appearance, which to this day is thought dreadful by many, and yet had really serious undertones and the silliness was the perfect juxtaposition for the story being told and which I rate quite highly.

It was when sci-fi met sci-fantasy in presentation (this happened again with Matt Smith's tenure).

When the show loses mainstream adult appeal, it is in a perilous position.

Like now.

4 hours ago, DTMark said:

Sylvester McCoy's tenure coincided with a shift in the series towards children and Doctor Who suffers every time it does so. People aged - say - 16 to 21 would have felt rather embarrassed watching in front of parents. Yes, back in those days, many houses had one television. It also suffered with cost constraints as so many viewers had been lost. Some of the stories could have been realised so beautifully with a decent budget.

The huge irony is that while his companion "Ace" was running around whacking Daleks with a baseball bat that had the accompaniment of childish noises and silly visual effects, actually, two stories really stand out.

One was written by a fan and really gave her the chance to shine - and she did - and the other was one that was visually silly in appearance, which to this day is thought dreadful by many, and yet had really serious undertones and the silliness was the perfect juxtaposition for the story being told and which I rate quite highly.

It was when sci-fi met sci-fantasy in presentation (this happened again with Matt Smith's tenure).

Like now.

Your analysis seems spot on to me. Never a huge fan, but watched it from the end of the John Pertwee era right through to the end of the Peter Davidson era. Gave up on it almost immediately after Colin Baker took over. 

Gave it another try when it was relaunched with Chris Ecclestone and really enjoyed it. Watched every episode through the David Tennant incarnation, the Christmas “specials” were crap but the show generally had a good combination of funny, creepy and exciting. 

When Matt Smith took over it seemed to flip to being excessively silly and camp. I lost interest early in his first season and haven’t watched it since. 

My kids (now 10 and 13) consider David Tennant to be the “proper” Doctor, and all others to be substandard imitations.

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Your analysis seems spot on to me. Never a huge fan, but watched it from the end of the John Pertwee era right through to the end of the Peter Davidson era. Gave up on it almost immediately after Colin Baker took over. 

Gave it another try when it was relaunched with Chris Ecclestone and really enjoyed it. Watched every episode through the David Tennant incarnation, the Christmas “specials” were crap but the show generally had a good combination of funny, creepy and exciting. 

When Matt Smith took over it seemed to flip to being excessively silly and camp. I lost interest early in his first season and haven’t watched it since. 

My kids (now 10 and 13) consider David Tennant to be the “proper” Doctor, and all others to be substandard imitations.

My viewing history is pretty much the same.

Apparently Matt Smith's portrayal of the Dr was similar to Patrick Troughton's and I have been equally unimpressed by the few of those that I have seen.

The only reason I kept watching Matt Smith was because they hit gold with first Amy Pond and then Clara; two of the top three companions ever lookswise with the third being Peri who gave me a reason to continue with Peter Davidson when I would otherwise have also ceased watching.

(I appreciate that DT Mark will have a different criterion; Adric IIRC).

On 11/08/2019 at 10:08, Frank Hovis said:

And we'll have pictures, why not:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

And for Mark, whose gaydar was spot on because the actor has an American husband according to wiki:

spacer.png

You have a remarkable memory. Yes, arguably, my first gay "crush" although at the time I did not recognise what it was. I was seven years old.

I never knew if the random references to Matthew Waterhouse (I can even remember his name, FFS) in the series "Little Britain" were to the same Matthew. I always assumed so.

I liked Peri. She was just marvellous. Those "little strops". In her first story, Planet of Fire - which had the distinction of being filmed in Lanzarote despite ending up somewhat less than the potential sum of its parts - she had to be rescued from drowning by Turlough. I suspect some may enjoy.

On 11/08/2019 at 07:53, Hail the Tripod said:

Come on now it is a childrens show surely? I used to watch the first series starring Jeremy Corbyn as the Doctor and it used to be on just after the wrestling at 5PM.

On 11/08/2019 at 01:53, DTMark said:

IMO Chris Ecclestone was marvellous. A much darker, damaged character. Someone hurting inside. Paired with one of the best companions ever, Rose. A show for adults and children alike, which is when Doctor Who is at its finest.

I got weary of the endless storylines about Rose missing her mum on earth. It seemed to me an unnecessary attempt to introduce adult soap-opera elements into what is essentially a kid's adventure serial. Looking back that was a precursor for the PC nonsense that came in later series.

Posted (edited)

Well, the scuttlebutt is that the producer got fired and Whittaker walked out in a strop at him being fired. She was then pleaded with to come back and do a transformation scene. Rumours from the fans - because they want it - is that Michael Sheen is being lined up.

Edited by The Masked Tulip
typo, found one, can't be arsed looking for more.

2 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I got weary of the endless storylines about Rose missing her mum on earth. It seemed to me an unnecessary attempt to introduce adult soap-opera elements into what is essentially a kid's adventure serial. Looking back that was a precursor for the PC nonsense that came in later series.

There's something in that.

And Noel Clarke as Mickey. He normally plays adult parts in very gritty urban dramas. And yet, in the show, he was surprisingly "wooden" and somewhat silly.

41 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Come on now it is a childrens show surely? I used to watch the first series starring Jeremy Corbyn as the Doctor and it used to be on just after the wrestling at 5PM.

This episode had to be given a 15 rating when released on DVD because it features torture scenes.

Ecclestone's conflicted, bitter character. Rose's strong, moral, courageous character. And a Dalek with some of her DNA that cannot deal with becoming something else.

The writing for, and realisation of this scene, ranks among the show's finest moments ever.

Posted (edited)

The Nerdrotic guy says that DW only became a hit in the US when it reached a family audience meaning that parents knew that it was fairly safe for kids to watch... and when DT was the Doctor as he was young enough for kids to identify with. But then the Scotsman that no Brit could understand became the D and the US audience dropped away. Then woke madam came along and that was the end of DW in the US after her first episode was broadcast.

Edit:

Oh, yeah. Nerdrotic was talking about the merchandisers this week - the firms who pay the So-Called BBC big money for licences to sell DW dolls, colouring books, mugs, etc. Apparently they are not very happy and have been making their views felt on where DW is going and who should or should not be DW.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

I used to letch after Jo Grant the microskirted assistant and hoping for her to flash her knickers. She seemed utterly durty to my 15 year old mind and in fact got in trouble with the So-Called BBC for a mucky dalek photo shoot. Jo (Katy Manning) is supposed to be coming back to the series or something, or maybe she's been and gone I don't actually watch it any more. 

6 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I used to letch after Jo Grant the microskirted assistant and hoping for her to flash her knickers. She seemed utterly durty to my 15 year old mind and in fact got in trouble with the So-Called BBC for a mucky dalek photo shoot. Jo (Katy Manning) is supposed to be coming back to the series or something, or maybe she's been and gone I don't actually watch it any more. 

In the pre-internet days a friend of mine told me that Jo Grant had done a photo shot in the nuddy, straddling a dalek's plunger. Years later I recalled the rumour and decided to search for it online...

...and blow me it turned out to be true!

26 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

In the pre-internet days a friend of mine told me that Jo Grant had done a photo shot in the nuddy, straddling a dalek's plunger. Years later I recalled the rumour and decided to search for it online...

...and blow me it turned out to be true!

katy-manning-dalek.png

On 11/08/2019 at 03:20, The XYY Man said:

Paint...

The...

Whole...

World...

With...

A...

RAINBOW...!!!

Has anyone on here who claims to be a "friend of the stars" fucked Jane out of "Rod, Jane and Freddy"...?

Apart from Rod and Freddy that is...!

;)

XYY

Maybe Bungle?

4 hours ago, steppensheep said:

It would be a nice touch if one of the assistants came back as the doctor.

Sadly Adric was killed when the space ship he was on crashed into the earth causing the extinction of the dinosaurs >:(

2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

No, but I got accosted by a berry picker with a Canadian accent once.

I shall have to admit I don't get that. Note to self: must get out more.

The show does have one of the most memorable theme tunes ever created.

Your era is in here. So beautifully done. Take yourself back in time.