• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Crap and expensive public transport

A rant really but thought it might be worthy of a thread so we can measure how bad public transport is.

last week, my train into London was cancelled due to signalling problems at Bethnal Green (according to the station staff, the real reason is scroats nicking the wire overnight but that's another story).  All travails cancelled and there is one every 15 minutes so you can imagine the chaos.

queuing for buses and managed to eventually get one to the nearest tube station.

put my whole day out. Late for the first meeting etc.  

Now, the biggest annoyance is that my claim for compensation - the cost of the one way ticket (it can be claimed after a 30 minute delay) has been rejected.  In a kafkaesque move, they have not even been specific as to why the claim was rejected.   

Thankfully I don't have to commute - I do drive a fair bit though, don't even get me started on the drop in driving standards - but I've got some mates who commute into London from just outside the M25.

When they told me the yearly cost for a ticket I genuinely thought they were having me on. For that (many thousands) not only would I want to get from A to B promptly, I'd want a foot massage, a complimentary hamper (per trip) and a personal screen showing Netflix.

Instead, apparently, what they get for their thousands of pounds is a cattle truck on rails. One that occasionally might be on time. 

I'm amazed that commuters haven't rioted.

Ticketing, route planning, connectivity across of the whole system is a shocking mess.

On trains overcrowding is rife on many routes, so is running antiquated rolling stock.

Would have been better to give a monopoly to one private company and have an agreed profit margin, we're just paying for replicated management structures across the various operators, no competition as such as largely isolated local networks. Madness.

On the overcrowding issue.  A mate was next to a farmer down in London for his holidays. Farmer looked around and said 'if I treated my cattle like this I'd be charged'. Says it all really. And yes the cost is horrendous. Then, as my original post, when they can't deliver they refuse to refund. Barstewards. 

9 hours ago, One percent said:

On the overcrowding issue.  A mate was next to a farmer down in London for his holidays. Farmer looked around and said 'if I treated my cattle like this I'd be charged'. Says it all really. And yes the cost is horrendous. Then, as my original post, when they can't deliver they refuse to refund. Barstewards. 

Given the amount of people who need or want to use say, London Underground at busy times, what action could be taken so that trains are not crowded? 

9 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

Given the amount of people who need or want to use say, London Underground at busy times, what action could be taken so that trains are not crowded? 

Stop importing loads of new people.  Stop building loads of new property in London. The infrastructure just can't take any more. :)

10 hours ago, onlyme said:

Ticketing, route planning, connectivity across of the whole system is a shocking mess.

On trains overcrowding is rife on many routes, so is running antiquated rolling stock.

Would have been better to give a monopoly to one private company and have an agreed profit margin, we're just paying for replicated management structures across the various operators, no competition as such as largely isolated local networks. Madness.

That was tried in the 1960s & 70s on infrastructure projects such as power stations under nationalisation, guess what, the government didn't like it as cost plus 5% was too expensive when they realised they couldn't manage big projects. Term contractor would say, you've changed this, more money, you've delayed me, more money, it's not our fault the weather is bad, more money, you've fooked the exchange rate when you devalued and this kit is more expensive, more money, with 5% added on.

The contracts were called cost +5% ones.

Edited by Chewing Grass

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Stop importing loads of new people.  Stop building loads of new property in London. The infrastructure just can't take any more. :)

What we need is a new trainline which could lessen the journey into London from the provinces by about twenty minutes, that'll sort it.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

That was tried in the 1960s & 70s on infrastructure projects such as power stations under nationalisation, guess what, the government didn't like it as cost plus 5% was too expensive when they realised they couldn't manage big projects. Term contractor would say, you've changed this, more money, you've delayed me, more money, it's not our fault the weather is bad, more money, you've fooked the exchange rate when you devalued and this kit is more expensive, more money, with 5% added on.

The contracts were called cost +5% ones.

Fair points, it wouldn't be ideal, but surely easier than dealing with multiple entities that are effectively doing the same thing either directly or indirectly and still not getting the advantage and pretty much necessity of having a better integrated system, plus all the economies of scale.

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Fair points, it wouldn't be ideal, but surely easier than dealing with multiple entities that are effectively doing the same thing either directly or indirectly and still not getting the advantage and pretty much necessity of having a better integrated system, plus all the economies of scale.

Couldn't agree more, the current system, duplicates roles, leads to man marking and huge waste of scarce resources.

7 minutes ago, Shaneyson said:

What we need is a new trainline which could lessen the journey into London from the provinces by about twenty minutes, that'll sort it.

We could cover all the land in new trainlines. Or parking lots.  Mind with inflation I think it would cost more than a dollar and a half to look at the trees.