• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Soft Fruit Industry...

The local news is banging on about poor hard done by fruit farmers that can't find enough workers to work for the square root of fuck all. Seemingly they can't find enough EU workers so they want to employ non EU workers..... 

This article has some interesting facts.... There were 9255 seasonal agricultural workers in Scotland mostly working in soft fruit... The Scottish soft fruit industry is worth £115m a year.... Is this the type of industry we should be supporting in the UK? The economic output per worker must be less than minimum wage.... 

Tbh, I try and avoid buying fruit grown in the UK because the soft fruit industry makes the country poorer... It's basically a job creation scheme that gives jobs to poor migrants that think £3 an hour is a lot money.

image.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-44884882

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

The local news is banging on about poor hard done by fruit farmers that can't find enough workers to work for the square root of fuck all. Seemingly they can't find enough EU workers so they want to employ non EU workers..... 

This article has some interesting facts.... There were 9255 seasonal agricultural workers in Scotland mostly working in soft fruit... The Scottish soft fruit industry is worth £115m a year.... Is this the type of industry we should be supporting in the UK? The economic output per worker must be less than minimum wage.... 

Tbh, I try and avoid buying fruit grown in the UK because the soft fruit industry makes the country poorer... It's basically a job creation scheme that gives jobs to poor migrants that think £3 an hour is a lot money.

image.png

Have they tried paying the market wage for the job ? 

Crazy idea but it might just work 

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

image.png

Have people thought about paying more for the produce ?

How about putting a higher value upon food (with all the cost of production) than a pair of plastic Nike trainers.

Or, people can have cheap food that is grown far away where where standards may be different and labour is cheap.

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Malthus said:

Have they tried paying the market wage for the job ? 

Crazy idea but it might just work 

You'd never get a job for the So-Called BBC with that type of attitude.... 

Honestly, how good would it be if the So-Called BBC journalist just asked a farmer "do your workers earn the minimum wage?" or "why not pay more if you can't get workers?". 

Anyway must dash, I've got an interview with the So-Called BBC. I want a new BMW but only want to pay a maximum of £20. The taxpayer should really give me £29,980 as a top up to buy the BMW. I'll be on the news next week stating my case.

34 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

image.png

My old man has about 12 raspberry canes in his garden.

I couldnt pick them fast enough this summer. Mellow fruitfulness everywhere. Non story.

Fruit glut in Scotland pffft....Once every 20 years...due to the summer not fucking Brexit you fucking cunts.

Unless this guy was head of horticulture of course...

But then the sacrifice must be more dreadful Sargeant.....

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F94e740f3-18e3-399a-8c31-ae142f451dd4.jpg

Simple supply and demand, I'd have thought.

I'd imagine that the EEs can get better paid elsewhere, so the farmers look to the next lower down the chain to fill the gap.   Really the answer should be 'pay more', but they've had 40+ years of 'we'll just find someone to do it cheaper'; I guess they're not going to change their minds on this unless forced.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Simple supply and demand, I'd have thought.

I'd imagine that the EEs can get better paid elsewhere, so the farmers look to the next lower down the chain to fill the gap.   Really the answer should be 'pay more', but they've had 40+ years of 'we'll just find someone to do it cheaper'; I guess they're not going to change their minds on this unless forced.

Beat me to it. Still a market and they will have been churning through each successive supply of cheapest labour as accession countries joined and they've run out of new arrivals who will work for the minimum of wages on offer (minus accommodation fees). Greedy shits might have cut off their local supply of labour for good too unless they can entice them back.

Edited by onlyme

46 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Have people thought about paying more for the produce ?

£2 for 200g of raspberries is more than enough.

I don't buy soft fruit.
I grow it. I've just picked about 8kg of blackcurrants.

if you look at the countryside in Tayside/Herefordshire/Shropshire there are polytunnels all over, these have popped up over the last 20 years all based on cheap EE labour and practically run by the EE who are promoted to management positions, so it's like a little village of EE on each farm who bed and board on site making the farmers very wealthy in the process.

British soft fruit is much better than the stuff we get from elsewhere. So I'm happy to pay a bit more for it. 

I was actually up in forfar last weekend. Great place for a weekend session. I know - but it is :Old:

My pal was wasted and heard a fit bird chatting away and thought she was polish so asked - she turned around and said "of course I am" - whilst pointing at her gorgeous face. :oxD

Fair enough. 

46 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Bumper crop this year. That would mean price drops if all were harvested. Best to leave lots to rot to keep prices up. Find someone to blame.

My daughter is desperate to go to our local pick your own place, but they regularly claim that the strawberries are picked out as soon as they are ready.

Edited by eight

16 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

£2 for 200g of raspberries is more than enough.

I don't buy soft fruit.
I grow it. I've just picked about 8kg of blackcurrants.

But how much of that £2 does the farmer see ?

I don't know about soft fruit farming, but I do know about brassicas, which are one of the most intensive crops you can grow in terms of labour, field preparation and inputs. The farmer gets pennies of the market price for a cauliflower or calabrese after the costs of transport to market, hire of the crate, etc are removed, and the market price is a fraction of the retail price.

It is a bumper year for soft fruits, I've got 20lb off three blackcurrant bushes so far, and that is after the blackbirds, and I'm still picking with probably another 5lb to come. Made blackcurrant turkish delight yesterday.

So there is more fruit than needed, so rotting fruit is to be expected.

But we really don't put a fair price on our food.

Edited by Hopeful

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

But how much of that £2 does the farmer see ?

But we really don't put a fair price on our food.

No idea.
Will look at the greengrocer's prices next week. 
He tries to buy as local as possible. Told me last year when chatting about courgettes that the flowers are a quid each at market! 

Today ive picked runner beans, dug spuds, and cleared out the raspberry canes.

It occurs to me that gardening is all well and good, but it all comes at once, and you're heartily sick of eating the same thing every day for 3 weeks.

In about ten days my old mans greenhouse is going to have 200 toms all turning red at the same time.

5 minutes ago, eight said:

My daughter is desperate to go to our local pick your own place, but they regularly claim that the strawberries are picked out as soon as they are ready.

So how does that work then if they are running a pick your own but apparently have already picked them out?

Sounds nonsense to me as PYO strawberry growers will stagger their planting so that they have fruit coming ripe regularly throughout the season.

If you go it is back-breaking stuff even filling a small basket so try to find one that grows strawberry at waist height.

1 minute ago, shindigger said:

It occurs to me that gardening is all well and good, but it all comes at once, and you're heartily sick of eating the same thing every day for 3 weeks.

In about ten days my old mans greenhouse is going to have 200 toms all turning red at the same time.

Barrels of salt, jars of brine and vinegar. Live like someone before fridges this winter.

2 minutes ago, shindigger said:

The art is to be able to preserve the lot.
I make far too much jam and fruit vodka.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

So how does that work then if they are running a pick your own but apparently have already picked them out?

Sounds nonsense to me as PYO strawberry growers will stagger their planting so that they have fruit coming ripe regularly throughout the season.

If you go it is back-breaking stuff even filling a small basket so try to find one that grows strawberry at waist height.

Raspberries would be the suggestion here for bad backs.

There is only one question you need to ask yourself in judging any farming related issue.

And that is this:

Have you EVER seen a farmer riding a fucking push-bike...?

Thought not.

Get off mooooiiii fucking laaannndd...!!!

;)

XYY

In my albeit limited experience, if you are to make use of excess produce, it normally involves buying shitloads of other stuff in order to do so.

Jars, vinegar, sponge fingers, custard, jelly, tc...

As in ooh loads of soft fruit ill make a trifle....6 quid later i have a very nice trifle.

I do accept that some of it is a one time purchase. 

Edited by shindigger

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It appears that the planting is staggered, but they just can't meet the demand. Within a short while of announcing more supply via Facebook they repost saying it has all gone.

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

There is only one question you need to ask yourself in judging any farming related issue.

And that is this:

Have you EVER seen a farmer riding a fucking push-bike...?

Thought not.

Get off mooooiiii fucking laaannndd...!!!

;)

XYY

Yes -- my grandfather. 

Although this just proves your rule -- the world of farming changed in the 80's.

5 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Raspberries would be the suggestion here for bad backs.

Always preferred picking strawberries as a labourer to any other soft fruit. Strawberries are a piece of piss and very fast to pick even when crawling along the rows. Hated picking raspberries, currents, gooseberries, anything where you had to stand for house or bend slightly. Crawling was luxury.

Just now, Hopeful said:

Always preferred picking strawberries as a labourer to any other soft fruit. Strawberries are a piece of piss and very fast to pick even when crawling along the rows. Hated picking raspberries, currents, gooseberries, anything where you had to stand for house or bend slightly. Crawling was luxury.

Fair enough. Over the course of a day a slight bend can wreak havoc im sure.