• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

"Smart" meters debacle

This was always going to end badly as it was a solution for a problem that didn't exist.

The death by a thousand cuts story is at the link but it is encapsulated within a single line:

• The eventual cost of the programme could even outweigh the benefits

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44903471

I have an energy monitor which I bought when I had my solar panels fitted and a more basic version was being given away by some energy trust for free up to a couple of years ago.  It clips onto your in and out wiring at the meter and relays that information to a display.

Job done without the cost and your usage data going to who knows what use.

They could have spent the money upgrading protection circuitry, providing PME supplies with better grounding resulting a better installation, and as a result prevented fires and saved lives.

Cost of reading the meter doesn't even stack up - utility company sends out email/text and you update their website with the reading - OK on change of residence the utility may want to verify final readings, but nowhere near the same manpower use as there used to be.

Edited by onlyme

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This was always going to end badly as it was a solution for a problem that didn't exist.

The death by a thousand cuts story is at the link but it is encapsulated within a single line:

• The eventual cost of the programme could even outweigh the benefits

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44903471

I have an energy monitor which I bought when I had my solar panels fitted and a more basic version was being given away by some energy trust for free up to a couple of years ago.  It clips onto your in and out wiring at the meter and relays that information to a display.

Job done without the cost and your usage data going to who knows what use.

Again crossing threads ..... tax credits. Were only meant to cost an extra 200m/y.

Up to 20bln+ now.

Dont like the shitstorm of Pols, civil servants and economist near anything. Ever.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Again crossing threads ..... tax credits. Were only meant to cost an extra 200m/y.

Up to 20bln+ now.

Dont like the shitstorm of Pols, civil servants and economist near anything. Ever.

Seriously?  The lying Scottish moron claimed £200m would be the cost of that vast national scheme of subsidising employers?

I hope he got a big laugh when he came out with that one.

Energy companies only make a few quid per year per customer, and that's a fraction of what these cost to install. I expect a wave of small supplier closures soon... 

5 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Energy companies only make a few quid per year per customer, and that's a fraction of what these cost to install. I expect a wave of small supplier closures soon... 

And price rises.

A colleague asked me who was paying for my solar panel income.  I replied "You are, thank you."

I didn't approve of the big subsidies but as they existed, so I was already paying them out, then I damn well was going to start collecting them as well.

10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Seriously?  The lying Scottish moron claimed £200m would be the cost of that vast national scheme of subsidising employers?

I hope he got a big laugh when he came out with that one.

Yep.

The pitch was hed consolidate a lot of working benefits, target them at families and thee might even be savings ....

As he said late ... Im not an economist.

Ass he didnt say .... he just cant do maths or any form of orgnaisation.

As soon as stuff went run ... bump up the payout and increase the people who can claim.

1 minute ago, This Time said:

I bet he just costed it based on households that qualified before inception without thinking about how they'd change people's work patterns.

Your are giving Brown more credit than hes due ... costed it!!!!!! thought!!!!!!!

It was 'Ill give people lots of money, kids will be brought out of (relative) poverty, theyll vote for me!!!!!!

If you want a case for limiting Pols ability to bring in new stuff then Brown is the example of the last 100 years.

When something is being pushed as hard as the installation of smart meters you instinctively know it is not in the interests of or for the benefit of us plebs.  It benefits the utility companies and not us.

I was in Leeds yesterday and what should be parked on Boar Lane? A brand new 52 seater coach with superb graphic design encouraging everyone to get one and lots of people trying to get everyone to sign up.

11 minutes ago, Ina said:

When something is being pushed as hard as the installation of smart meters you instinctively know it is not in the interests of or for the benefit of us plebs.  It benefits the utility companies and not us.

I was in Leeds yesterday and what should be parked on Boar Lane? A brand new 52 seater coach with superb graphic design encouraging everyone to get one and lots of people trying to get everyone to sign up.

I’m thinking that if we are forced to have these (and I bet we will at some point), I’ll just cover it in tinfoil. That’ll stop ‘em reading it from their lair. If they kick off about it, I’ll just fake being a bit of a loon. Not a stretch. xD

51 minutes ago, This Time said:

I bet he just costed it based on households that qualified before inception without thinking about how they'd change people's work patterns.

Overtime died. The short term pay day loan flourished like never before.

Why do overtime when they'll dock it from you. Why work more than you absolutely need to.

I have those utterly inconvenient prepayment gas and electric meters fitted at the moment. As I think I have already posted on here: I asked my supplier to get me onto the conventional billing meters and I actually failed the credit check! >:(

I think if I called again I may actually pass the credit check this time around as I checked with Experian and it seems that they have finally have me as registered on the electoral roll. Probably what's dragging my credit score down is the previous resident.

The only thing that puts me off calling the supplier is that if they do say yes this time, I will have to book off MORE time off work to allow them access. I really don't know if it be worth my while going onto the Smart Meters. :/

1 hour ago, Ina said:

Top marks for the correct answer.

The benefit is not to us as consumers (although it is sold as such), the benefit is to the energy companies. As others have rightly pointed out, a clip on energy monitor is far cheaper. Even then its debatable how much can be saved by knowing how much you use. You don't need an energy monitor to cut your electric bill by turning off appliances or getting more efficient ones.

There is an Ofgem requirement that meters must be read by the supplier at least every two years. They call it a safety check but its really to check for fraud and tampering. It's actually quite expensive to have meter readers going around the country, especially when a high number of visits fail, mainly for those properties where the meter is inside the house. For smart meters this requirement does not apply.

The suppliers are allowed to add the cost of the smart meters onto our bills, we are paying for it, not the energy companies.

So, in summary, we pay for it but the only beneficiary is the energy companies.

Any news about security, data protection, RF radiation etc is all smoke and mirrors to distract from the real issue.

Edited by null;
spelling

4 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Smart Meters will be used for supply rationing, initially through peak time pricing and then turning household supplies off at certain times. All down to unsustainable population increase and a dire energy supply chain.

Is the correct answer.

My first beer of the day will be raised to you!

9 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Smart Meters will be used for supply rationing, initially through peak time pricing and then turning household supplies off at certain times. All down to unsustainable population increase and a dire energy supply chain.

Only after they bring in a law making it illegal to block the signal to/from the meter.

At one point a few years back, Centrica wrote to me to tell me I HAD to have my meter moved from the cellar. Waited in twice all day and they never showed.

I then had a smart meter fit booked in with Lowri Beck the local contractor through Scottish power. They never showed either.

Now EDF are badgering the bejesus out of me. With inevitable results I'm sure.

Edited by shindigger

19 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

Was googling for how much they were predicted to save (saw 250 quid mentioned), but noticed that some people were warning about it being a waste 4 years ago.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/energy-bills/11119411/Will-a-smart-meter-save-me-money.html

We've got a smart meter and it's made absolutely no difference to our usage. The display doesn't actually work (lasted about a month) and besides, we were fairly frugal anyway i.e. we only put the light on when it's dark and we don't run the kettle constantly just in case we want a cup of tea. Nothing's changed. 

4 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

We've got a smart meter and it's made absolutely no difference to our usage. The display doesn't actually work (lasted about a month) and besides, we were fairly frugal anyway i.e. we only put the light on when it's dark and we don't run the kettle constantly just in case we want a cup of tea. Nothing's changed. 

Apart from meter readers job prospects.

1 hour ago, Wahoo said:

And the idea of changing supplier to chase a slightly lower price becomes a joke because a new meter needs to be installed.

For the second time today, tell me you are joking?

55 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Like smart motorways then.