• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Barlow

Electric Bikes

Hi.

A bit further down the track I am thinking about getting an electric bike to get from home to the station. When we eventually buy a house the house is likely to be 1-2 miles from the station which is a bit of a stretch to walk each morning and evening. The routes are quite hilly and I'd struggle on a normal bike as Im nearer 50 than 40 and MS does cause me a few fatigue issues especially when its hot as of late. 

Whats peoples experience of them?

I have been looking at the Halfords base model https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-vengeance-e-mens-electric-mountain-bike-16-18-20-frames

I assume this would be sufficient to help get me up the hills?

Wondering if its worth buying now as I can buy through work on the cycle to work scheme, get 40% tax relief and pay over 12 months. 

They often crop up on hotukdeals where there is often really good info about them - what to buy, what not to buy.

If you buy in Sept / Oct you will pay an awfu lot less than if you buy in the summer.

The batteries / motors to look for in an electric bike are either BOSCH or YAMAHA - don't buy anything else.

Lots of the electric bikes sold in well-known UK retailers are ideal for somewhere flat but absolutely rubbish - not enough power - for hilly areas. So if you have hills then you will have to pay more for a more powerful electric motor.

The bike you linked to is currently the subject of debate on hotukdeals where it is being absolutely slaughtered as it apparently keeps cutting out.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/carrera-crossfire-e-electric-hybrid-bike-mens-womens-frames-1000-halfords-2989869

Agree with electric bike at station is a big liability. Depends quite how hilly you are talking about, standard response would be to buy a brompton and try that. Not exceptionally light but actually very efficient and if only one to two miles then unless very hilly I think you'd soon pick up the fitness to be easily usable. Brompton have just brought out own electric folder with front hub, but obviously more expensive (actually silly expensive)  but may be some on second hand market but will be heavier still for lugging round the station. Also lots of other folders than are pretty good, yes bosch,  yamaha and shimano drive system  are the nuts but a good deal on a geared hub model would also do the job as long as decent brand.

13 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Get one of these instead. Less than half the price and you can take it on the train with you. An electric bike left at the station will be nicked in precisely 3 minutes.

That actually looks awesome.

8 minutes ago, SNACR said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Not electric but you can be confident of it getting up the hills and at full chat it'll cut your two mile journey time to around 40 seconds.

For that matter just a cheap electric scooter, somewhat less nickable. No, actually scrub that, stupid yearly CBT or full test.

18 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Get one of these instead. Less than half the price and you can take it on the train with you. An electric bike left at the station will be nicked in precisely 3 minutes.

At my station its a locakable walk in shed and has CCTV. Whether than makes any difference  is another question. 

14 minutes ago, SNACR said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Not electric but you can be confident of it getting up the hills and at full chat it'll cut your two mile journey time to around 40 seconds.

Could do - I already have a full MB licence but I guess that would be just as nickable. 

27 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Hi.

A bit further down the track I am thinking about getting an electric bike to get from home to the station. When we eventually buy a house the house is likely to be 1-2 miles from the station which is a bit of a stretch to walk each morning and evening. The routes are quite hilly and I'd struggle on a normal bike as Im nearer 50 than 40 and MS does cause me a few fatigue issues especially when its hot as of late. 

I have been looking at the Halfords base model https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-vengeance-e-mens-electric-mountain-bike-16-18-20-frames

Wondering if its worth buying now as I can buy through work on the cycle to work scheme, get 40% tax relief and pay over 12 months. 

Oh, I glanced over the station bit without it sinking in - you want to leave an electric bike at a station? It won't be there when you return. Thieves have caught on that electric bikes are worth a lot of dosh. You have to have a different mindset when, where and how you leave an electric bike as opposed to a normal pedal bike. All the electric bike owners I know carry around a small arsenal of various heavy locks.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Oh, I glanced over the station bit without it sinking in - you want to leave an electric bike at a station? It won't be there when you return. Thieves have caught on that electric bikes are worth a lot of dosh. You have to have a different mindset when, where and how you leave an electric bike as opposed to a normal pedal bike. All the electric bike owners I know carry around a small arsenal of various heavy locks.

I think you have to pay an annual fee to use the station secure storage which is covered by CCTV. Still Id use a couple of heavy duty locks. 

29 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I think you have to pay an annual fee to use the station secure storage which is covered by CCTV. Still Id use a couple of heavy duty locks. 

Our local station has CCTV of the 'secure' bike 'cage'. It just means that you get to see a photo of the person that nicked your bike.

Edited by null;
missing word

42 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Hi.

I have a similar dilemma (1.7 miles) and it is hard to solve.  Have been considering all options: push bike, elect bike, moped, car.  No clear winner - I remain walking for the moment.  Really fancy one of these though:

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/scooter/forza-125/specifications.html

4 minutes ago, GARCH said:

I have a similar dilemma (1.7 miles) and it is hard to solve.  Have been considering all options: push bike, elect bike, moped, car.  No clear winner - I remain walking for the moment.  Really fancy one of these though:

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/scooter/forza-125/specifications.html

Nice but surely just as nickable?

Probably.  Hence why the whole thing is tricky. The one that won’t be nicked (cheap old car) comes with a £150 per month overhead for running and parking costs.  Tricky tricky...

3 minutes ago, GARCH said:

Probably.  Hence why the whole thing is tricky. The one that won’t be nicked (cheap old car) comes with a £150 per month overhead for running and parking costs.  Tricky tricky...

If I go down this route 850 minus 40% tax relief is going to be cheaper than a moped. 

I shall just invest in some fook off size chains and padlocks. 

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Great for someone with MS xD

27 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Does exercise help relieve the symptoms of MS? If so, is giving up walking a good idea?

(I know nothing about MS)

Yes - it helps keep up muscle strength but so does cycling. I will still be walking a fair bit. The bike is primarily to reduce transit time to the station each day. 

5 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Yes - it helps keep up muscle strength but so does cycling. I will still be walking a fair bit. The bike is primarily to reduce transit time to the station each day. 

But electric cycling doesn't!

Edited by Happy Renting