• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Roger_Mellie

Has my safety been compromised?

Or... is, as I suspect, airport security protocol a load of BS?

I was at (actually still am at) O'Hare, the queue for security was out of the door, so they changed the protocol to get things moving. No laptops out of bags, no liquids out of bags, no shoes or belts off: just put your bag on the x-ray conveyor and walk through.

If this is deemed adequate at a busy time, why not all the time? 

2 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I was at (actually still am at) O'Hare, the queue for security was out of the door, so they changed the protocol to get things moving. No laptops out of bags, no liquids out of bags, no shoes or belts off: just put your bag on the x-ray conveyor and walk through.

Ask if you can sit next to the pilots.

Just now, Great Guy said:

How short would security queues be if they only searched Muslims?

However we have to go through the charade that non Muslims also commit terrorist attacks....

This is true. The establishment tell me repeatedly that the far right are responsible for many atrocities. That I can’t recall one in the U.K. doesn’t matter, it is what I’m told that is important. 

I suspect that the security procedures are largely pointless. Having said that, if you assume they are effective, then the only scenario under which relaxing them at random times would meaningfully add to your risk of being ROPed is one where there are very large numbers of attempts to smuggle bombs onto aeroplanes. As we know that isn’t the case, you’re safe. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

This is true. The establishment tell me repeatedly that the far right are responsible for many atrocities. That I can’t recall one in the U.K. doesn’t matter, it is what I’m told that is important. 

I can't think of one non Muslim terrorist group that are likely to blow up a plane. The IRA/ Basque separatists were never into blowing up planes. OK, an extreme green group might consider doing it, but it is unlikely...

12 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Are Mr or Mrs Mellie?

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

I can't think of one non Muslim terrorist group that are likely to blow up a plane. The IRA/ Basque separatists were never into blowing up planes. OK, an extreme green group might consider doing it, but it is unlikely...

The ira were about destroying the establishment. They would phone beforehand to get areas cleared.  Not always mind, but I don’t think they were bent completely around killing. Unlike the recent terrorists. 

2 minutes ago, JackieO said:

In the IRA's latter days they realised collateral damage to infrastructure costing millions like Manchester 1996 and Canary Whaarf worked far better at bringing TPTB to negotiate.

When the IRA killed ordinary people in say killing soldiers at Warrenpoint or in pubs in the 70's TPTB didn't give a fuck.

Good points and we are seeing the don’t give a fuck attitude from the establishment yet again. 

I went through Edinburgh airport recently and I had a wee Tennents battery charger with a cord hanging off it. 

The lights went on at the scanner and I was taken aside. He says - you know this looks like a bomb ? xD

I was thinking if I had a big bushy beard would I have had a similar cheery response ...

Just now, ccc said:

I went through Edinburgh airport recently and I had a wee Tennents battery charger with a cord hanging off it. 

The lights went on at the scanner and I was taken aside. He says - you know this looks like a bomb ? xD

I was thinking if I had a big bushy beard would I have had a similar cheery response ...

My mate decided, for some fucking reason, to take a grip strengthener on holiday, that looks slightly like a detonator:

Adjustable Hand Grip Exerciser

...needless to say the girl at airport security near shat herself when she saw it.

6 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Try getting a set of these through airport security - especially when that security speaks about 50 words of english

(They are noise dose badges)

DoseBadges.png

What’s a noise dose badge when it’s at home?  

52 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

It's was probably not an x-ray conveyor as Chicago is one of the places the TSA have been testing computerised tomography scanners which don't need liquids out etc etc.