• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Baked beans

I quite like baked beans though if they ceased to exist tomorrow it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Partner hates them to the extent that he can't go near them and seems to have some sort of extreme reaction to the smell and appearance.

There was a programme I once saw in which some woman was trying to desensitise herself to them and ended up screaming "I saw them move!"

What is the matter with people?

Never, ever microwave baked beans.

They must be cooked in a pan. I believe the instructions are to just warm through. Bugger that. They need boiling for a minute or 5 until they go really gloopy. Anything less is sacrilege.

I used to buy baked beans and sausage pasties in Sainsbury's for years. Then one day they stopped selling them. I asked why and a shop person swore blind that they had never sold such a thing. Then another person came and asked why they had been stopped.

That is all. I can't contribute any more.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I used to buy baked beans and sausage pasties in Sainsbury's for years. Then one day they stopped selling them. I asked why and a shop person swore blind that they had never sold such a thing. Then another person came and asked why they had been stopped.

Is this an unused Mr Benn story?

Edited by shindigger

1 minute ago, shindigger said:

Is this an unused Mr Benn story?

Oh, very good :)

8 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Buy your partner a print of this for xmas. Stick it in the bathroom i reckon.

btw its Roger Daltrey from The Who.

Daltrey-Beans.jpg

Glad you said that. I was thinking it was Richard Hammond with a wig on.

3 minutes ago, shindigger said:

I think a project for the weekend could be a few tabs of acid and the entire collected works or Mr Benn.

Perhaps that's what that ridiculous woman who ran out of the kitchen had been doing.

Talking of UFOs in that other thread and the above remind me of some documentary about alien abduction. A clearly bolloxed woman was recalling the incidents where she'd left the house and been "taken".

Camera cuts to her teenage son whose facial expression said it all. "It's the heroin Mum."

Baked beans with a full cooked breakfast..  helps to cut through the grease and provides a bit of sauce.

That is the only time you should ever eat baked beans. Under any circumstances.

Unless it's the end of civilisation..  then eating them cold out of the can is practically mandatory.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

OK, I lied. I love baked beans on toast or dipping a crusty roll into some baked beans. I am reluctant to say anymore as I still carry the guilt of wrecking @DTMark's 'Game of Thrones' thread with my first post.

I don't remember that..

I've tried to watch that four times now and have never managed to get beyond episode 4.

This is hardly the most serious of threads :)

2 minutes ago, Kilham said:

I was hoping for a TEOTW stockpiling thread, we haven't had one for ages.

I was thinking of starting one a few days ago.

I occasionally do a mental exercise of stocking an imaginary bunker to survive a year. The inventory required is enormous.

Shall I start it here and you can all add your own suggestions. (I wasn't asking.)

1. Baked beans (Lots).

It's surprising just how much is required to maintain a lifestyle we're accustomed to. I did it 'for real' back in 2008 and built up a little stockpile, most of which was used up over the next couple of years.

I still have about 30 tins of margarine though if anyone wants them xD

2. Bogroll, lots of it.

1 hour ago, shindigger said:

Buy your partner a print of this for xmas. Stick it in the bathroom i reckon.

btw its Roger Daltrey from The Who.

Daltrey-Beans.jpg

1 hour ago, DTMark said:

Oh, very good :)

Glad you said that. I was thinking it was Richard Hammond with a wig on.

It is, and it’s a normal sized can.

2 hours ago, DTMark said:

A coffee machine with a lifetime supply of descaler

Vinegar works just as well.

Though maybe it's best to make/grow your own. Where do they get vinegar from? They don't milk it from an animal or squeeze vinegar fruits (do they?).

16 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Vinegar works just as well.

Though maybe it's best to make/grow your own. Where do they get vinegar from? They don't milk it from an animal or squeeze vinegar fruits (do they?).

I thought it came from the tears of Remainers.

6 hours ago, Libspero said:

Baked beans with a full cooked breakfast..  helps to cut through the grease and provides a bit of sauce.

That is the only time you should ever eat baked beans. Under any circumstances.

Unless it's the end of civilisation..  then eating them cold out of the can is practically mandatory.

Mushy peas cold out of the can may substitute! 

Edited by Stuey

7 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

My aunt used to a make suassage meat and baked bean pie topped with crisp pastry, not sure I'd want it now (haven't eaten a baked bean for a decade or more,. but then, when I was 10, it was a thing of anticipation.

I thought it was going to be a discussion bemoaning the fall in quality of one or other brand and asking for recommendations. Even though it isn’t, I’m still going to recommend Cross and Blackwell over all comers, especially Heinz, who have nosedived in recent years.