• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Hades

Recommended Posts

Quote

A mass evacuation is underway with military vessels, a flotilla of private boats and army helicopters mobilised to help those stuck in the harbour in Rafina, one of the worst hit areas. Greece has also asked for drones from the US to 'to observe and detect any suspicious activity' as it emerged 15 fires had started at the same time in three different areas - possibly by criminals out to ransack abandoned homes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I lived in that part of the world years ago it was a general assumption that pretty much all wildfires were arson.

I think that in the UK we assume that just about anything that happens must have either occurred naturally, lest we start thinking that maybe some people aren't living harmoniously with everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This happens every year, the rest of Europe and the USA have a mega heatwave and wildfires. The difference is we usually don't get it here in the UK, at least not oop north.

@dgul maybe it says something about me but I always assume every wildfire is started by an arsonist :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

This happens every year, the rest of Europe and the USA have a mega heatwave and wildfires. The difference is we usually don't get it here in the UK, at least not oop north.

@dgul maybe it says something about me but I always assume every wildfire is started by an arsonist :ph34r:

I think everyone actually thinks/knows they're all arson, but the media seems to not go near the arsonist route -- they might as well state that all fires are started by rabbits accidentally kicking bits of flint at bits of metal carelessly dropped by a farmer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgul said:

When I lived in that part of the world years ago it was a general assumption that pretty much all wildfires were arson.

I think that in the UK we assume that just about anything that happens must have either occurred naturally, lest we start thinking that maybe some people aren't living harmoniously with everyone else.

Or we start realising that there are a lot more 'insurance jobs' than we realised. Whenever I see a burnt out pub or shop this is always my default assumption. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dgul said:

I think everyone actually thinks/knows they're all arson, but the media seems to not go near the arsonist route -- they might as well state that all fires are started by rabbits accidentally kicking bits of flint at bits of metal carelessly dropped by a farmer.

Carelessness can start fires. Dropped fagbuts or glass bottles or mismanaged camp fires can easily start a wild fire in these conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5984481/At-seven-dead-huge-forest-fires-destroy-homes-vehicles-Greek-holiday-resorts.html

What section of society could be behind setting deliberate fires in different areas all orchestrated at the same time. 

I'm suprised not more is being made of this on here. Just for the sheer dreadfulness of it all. 

Edited by Battenberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Carelessness can start fires. Dropped fagbuts or glass bottles or mismanaged camp fires can easily start a wild fire in these conditions.

Nearly all manmade would be a better description

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

Nearly all manmade would be a better description

I'd say over 50% of the bushfires in Australia start with arson.  Some people are just sick.  One good thing is that arsonists are treated like paedos down under - if the community gets their hands on them....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Battenberg said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5984481/At-seven-dead-huge-forest-fires-destroy-homes-vehicles-Greek-holiday-resorts.html

What section of society could be behind setting deliberate fires in different areas all orchestrated at the same time. 

I'm suprised not more is being made of this on here. Just for the sheer dreadfulness of it all. 


It's a fair point until the authorities say what caused the fires.  It could possibly be locals or even spontaneous (spontaneous is unlikely even in hot weather and the mail article does mention arson).   The port of Rafina did and maybe still does have a "hospitality" camp. 

Quote

 

Also with Italy now refusing to take any "refugees" from NGO boats they're reportedly having to sail west to deposit them in Spain.  What are the chances (maybe zero or less than zero - who knows) that some are being forced to head east to southern Greece and maybe ports like Rafina.  If that's the case then I assume the refugees would be less than happy and in the past refugees have regularly set stuff alight.  Of course it's best not to jump to conclusions especially as there doesn't seem to have been any reports to confirm that NGO boats might be going there or any other information or evidence for that matter about what happened.

The death toll is terrifying.

Edited by twocents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, twocents said:


It's a fair point until the authorities say what caused the fires.  It could possibly be locals or even spontaneous (spontaneous is unlikely even in hot weather and the mail article does mention arson).   The port of Rafina did and maybe still does have a "hospitality" camp. 

 

Also with Italy now refusing to take any "refugees" from NGO boats they're reportedly having to sail west to deposit them in Spain.  What are the chances (maybe zero or less than zero - who knows) that some are being forced to head east to southern Greece and maybe ports like Rafina.  If that's the case then I assume the refugees would be less than happy and in the past refugees have regularly set stuff alight.  Of course it's best not to jump to conclusions especially as there doesn't seem to have been any reports to confirm that NGO boats might be going there or any other information or evidence for that matter about what happened.

The death toll is terrifying.

didnt the pioneers also set light to their own boats in the past? to ensure a local (NGO/coastguard) rescue would take place on account of them hobbling their own boat. Realistically any boat coming away from african shorelines should really be machine gunned in case they are pirates, of a somalian type..

Edited by leonardratso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Carelessness can start fires. Dropped fagbuts or glass bottles or mismanaged camp fires can easily start a wild fire in these conditions.

A friend of mine dropped into his work depot to do a few things and on his way out he stopped for a fag and a chat with the lads on their smoke break. As the lads went back to work he walked off, finished his fag and chucked it into a big skip full of building plastics and old rags covered in paint and cleaning solvents. 

The next day he was called into the office and asked why he had set fire to the skip, "wasn't me" came his reply. They showed him the cctv footage of him walking past the skip and nonchalantly tossing his fag-end into the skip followed 5 minutes latter by flames and toxic smoke pouring forth then another 10 minutes until two fire brigade crews turned out to put out the roaring inferno. 

Took a while for him to live that one down I can tell you. 

Edited by whitevanman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whitevanman said:

A friend of mine dropped into his work depot to do a few things and on his way out he stopped for a fag and a chat with the lads on their smoke break. As the lads went back to work he walked off, finished his fag and chucked it into a big skip full of building plastics and old rags covered in paint and cleaning solvents. 

The next day he was called into the office and asked why he had set fire to the skip, "wasn't me" came his reply. They showed him the cctv footage of him walking past the skip and nonchalantly tossing his fag-end into the skip followed 5 minutes latter by flames and toxic smoke pouring forth then another 10 minutes until two fire brigade crews turned out to put out the roaring inferno. 

Took a while for him to live that one down I can tell you. 

they should give him a medal, he cleared the skip for free, now they can refill it and not have to pay for the first load to be landfilled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

they should give him a medal, he cleared the skip for free, now they can refill it and not have to pay for the first load to be landfilled.

Funnily enough, they didn't see it that way. He kept his job though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, whitevanman said:

Funnily enough, they didn't see it that way. He kept his job though. 

in true DM trolling style, i must also add;

They should hang him, it could have exploded and killed 3 tory MPS bumming rent boys behind it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wherebee said:

I'd say over 50% of the bushfires in Australia start with arson.  Some people are just sick.  One good thing is that arsonists are treated like paedos down under - if the community gets their hands on them....

I remember that from when I lived over there.

If you get caught setting fire to things in Australia, you'd better pray to God that the police get you before the locals do. Some scroat was caught not far from where I lived and he was lucky to escape with his balls attached. An unforgettable beating was administered before he was locked up for eternity.

They absolutely do not fuck around when it comes to arsonists.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.