• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Chewing Grass

The Vacuum Cleaner has passed to the other side - what to buy?

My old Dyson DC07 has just gone up in a cloud of ionised smoke and is not worth repairing.

Would get another one as I have loads of spares but it is well obsolete.

Haven’t got a clue what to get, upright corded or a cordless with less suction and an even shorter life.

Anyone got a reasonable priced new vacuum cleaner they would recommend that performs well i.e sucks loads of dirt and sheep hair up.

The DC07 was great but as with all things Dyson quite overpriced for a piece of plastic with a big motor in it.

Love my Henry for clearing up DIY mess but it doesn't have a powered brush and seems like hard work on carpets.

I swear by a Sebo for general use: German made, very reliable, parts available and youtube is full of specific repair vids to help.

Edit: should reveal that I'm a dirty fucker and only hoover once a week. Therefore I'm probably not the best judge!

Edited by InLikeFlynn

1 minute ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

My venerable Bosch upright self-destructed recently and I haven't really found a replacement. I have 3 now and they all suck. 

Isn't that what you want from a vacuum cleaner though?

Just got a cordless Dyson V8 Absolute (Amazon.Fr) which was VERY expensive (€422) but i just fancied a cordless so got what I hope is a good one. 

Only tried it once but so far it's GREAT!

Before I had to use a long extension cable to avoid having to unplug/replug as I move from room to room (or up/down stairs) but inevitably the cable gets trapped somewhere. So cordless is brilliant!

OH thinks it's a waste of money (says he will carry on using the corded one) and that the rechargeable battery will fail after a while so we shall see.

Edited to add - I hate housework so it will be used sparingly and like that I am sure it will last me out! :D

Edited by whocares

23 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

My old Dyson DC07 has just gone up in a cloud of ionised smoke and is not worth repairing.

Would get another one as I have loads of spares but it is well obsolete.

Haven’t got a clue what to get, upright corded or a cordless with less suction and an even shorter life.

Anyone got a reasonable priced new vacuum cleaner they would recommend that performs well i.e sucks loads of dirt and sheep hair up.

The DC07 was great but as with all things Dyson quite overpriced for a piece of plastic with a big motor in it.

Clearly you buy whatever Mrs Grass would like, having set a reasonable but somewhat frugal budget.

1 minute ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

This is the least (most) sucky of the triumverate, actually quite good, just not quite up to the Bosch. From a boot sale @ £25:

IMG_20180701_105518.jpg

Not sure they were designed for driveways. It may well invalidate the warranty.

Mrs Sleepy prefers cordless vacuum cleaners, she has Bosch cordless, works ok but you have to clean out the filters in accordance with the instruction manual occasionally. She insisted we buy it even though we already had a vacuum cleaner that is working!

We also have a miele cylinder vacuum cleaner, its about twenty years old now and I reckon its far better than anything else we've tried.

After 25 years of buying vacuum cleaners ranging from cheap crap (electrolux and hoover) to expensive crap (Dyson), this is my recommendation:

A Meile vacuum, make sure its a bagged one.

Wifey recently broke the handle on our one (her fault), customer services sent out a new one despite being out of warranty. Current one is 4 years old now. Get the copy bags from Amazon. Bags are so much better than bagless, a new bag every couple of months and it takes seconds with no mess.

28 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Love my Henry for clearing up DIY mess but it doesn't have a powered brush and seems like hard work on carpets.

I swear by a Sebo for general use: German made, very reliable, parts available and youtube is full of specific repair vids to help.

Edit: should reveal that I'm a dirty fucker and only hoover once a week. Therefore I'm probably not the best judge!

Once a fortrnight here, if that. Usually dictated by how much straw, hay, mud or seaweed is in the house and then whether there wil be visitors. In fact the last dinner guests said:

"Have you just hoovered?" - and, yes we had xD

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Once a fortrnight here, if that. Usually dictated by how much straw, hay, mud or seaweed is in the house and then whether there wil be visitors. In fact the last dinner guests said:

"Have you just hoovered?" - and, yes we had xD

That they felt compelled to comment speaks volumes. o.O

1 minute ago, null; said:

After 25 years of buying vacuum cleaners ranging from cheap crap (electrolux and hoover) to expensive crap (Dyson), this is my recommendation:

A Meile vacuum, make sure its a bagged one.

Wifey recently broke the handle on our one (her fault), customer services sent out a new one despite being out of warranty. Current one is 4 years old now. Get the copy bags from Amazon. Bags are so much better than bagless, a new bag every couple of months and it takes seconds with no mess.

All Miele stuff is generally good

But I don't own any, as

Some brands do invididual items better, for example the LG direct drive washing machines are stonking

My dyson that I’d used for about 15 years died a couple of years ago after a few cheap home done repairs.

After a bit of research I decided to buy a Henry hoover. Luckily I didn’t have to part with cash to buy one but that would have been my choice.

A chat with a friend about my vacuum situation resulted in me being given a hardly used Dyson with a collection of spare parts. I can’t recall the model but it’s an upright with the ball thingy to help manoeuvre it. Does me fine once a week or so