• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Bus Stop Boxer

What the fuck has just happened to my phone?

I had an email pop up from SaabScene a long since forgotten board i went on for info on my old car. 

Phone then began opening apps on its own. I then started swearing at it and calling the potential hijacker a cunt :)and it went absolutely bananas.

The calculator went mental, the torch app opened, i then tried to shut it down and it woudnt let me.

When i pulled the sim and replaced it when i went to enter the pin it went crazy again and fucked up the pin.

Sim has now disabled itself and i now need a PUK code.

I'm sure i've been hacked and i'm a bit freaked.

Ive changed a few passwords and run an AVG Scan on the phone, phone will work without the sim. No threats on the AVG scan.

Didnt have any financial apps on the phone.

Im ditching this android business.

Im going back to a basic phone asap.

Fuck this.

Any tips?

Yup pretty much that, but mines an android.

Bollox to this.

Hmm so comments suggest hardware. Im not so sure someone wasnt reacting to me calling them nasty names. Every time i spouted some abuse it went bonkers. 

Loads and loads of calculations etc. 

Im going back to basic Nokia asap.

Cheers for the vid.

Edited by shindigger

Yup... dodgy screen. Same happened with my iPhone.  Replaced under guarantee and hasn't happened since ( touch wood).  Sounds like one of the screen manufacturers is having problems. 

Try running an app like Google maps on it, which responds to input all over the screen, and shows little circles where the phantom screen presses are. Or a full screen finger painting app maybe.  This should confirm if it's the touch screen.

Edited by MvR

This is a Sony z2. It's 3 years old. It felt very much like it was responding to voice prompts. IE me shouting abuse.. 

When I tried to enter my pin it went utterly crazy. 

However the Avg scan has shown no viruses. 

See what happens tomorrow once I've got my puk code.

Cheers.

Was on about 45%. About to ring 3 to get puk code. Fairly sure this isn't the screen packing up. Every time I hurled abuse at the would be hacker the calculator went insane. Then pin entry became impossible. Sure I've been hacked. Screen behaving fine this am btw.

After years of being railroaded into installing bug-ridden Apple updates I was really pleased with my Android one. It had options to control updates manually. 

Out of the box it was stable and pretty much bug-free, the first such phone I'd had since iOS 8.6 all those years ago. Hallelujah. It can stay that way.

oreo-1.png

oreo-2.png

However these settings don't work. The phone does what it wants, not what you want.

Resulting in this:

oreo-3.png

.. and this repeated nag message..

oreo-4.png

That dialog can't be cancelled.

So I rang Samsung to explain and see if they could repair it remotely.

They go away and check.

"You just have to keep pressing LATER if you don't want to install the update"
"I'm an IT developer. I know better than to install updates with known problems, especially with battery life, unless they are essential. Once it's installed, how can I remove it?"
"You can't remove it."
"OK, so it would be a risk to install it given that it's perfect as it is. How do I get the phone to behave as per the settings? It's just as well I don't have a tiny data allowance?"
"You can't"
"OK, do I need to send it back to you for repair?"
"We can't repair it."
"You built the phone and the software. You're saying that even though it was faulty from new, you refuse to repair it. I don't think I can live with it like this. Given it's a fault out-of-the-box I can send it back the retailer for a refund. I'm not seeing who wins here"

So, now, I'm debating returning it for a refund and choosing something else. Absolutely incredible. I was really pleased with it until this time-bomb manifested itself.

20 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Was on about 45%. About to ring 3 to get puk code. Fairly sure this isn't the screen packing up. Every time I hurled abuse at the would be hacker the calculator went insane. Then pin entry became impossible. Sure I've been hacked. Screen behaving fine this am btw.

One slightly mad explanation might be that it overheated.

To be on the safe side - and to reassure yourself - I suspect a factory reset may be in order.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Android will now update eventually once you have declined it X amount of time.

That's why I haven't bothered setting it all back up again (I did a factory reset on Samsung's instructions which turned out to be pointless).

If it locks me out by removing the LATER button it's going back for a refund.

I did check on this - if the update causes problems: a software fault is exactly the same as a hardware fault. So if the new version reduces battery life (seems to be fairly widespread with this update), that's exactly the same as a failing battery and the consumer has the same right of recourse.

Really not seeing who wins here.

I have, next to me, my laptop which tells me that "The network card is not compatible with this version of Windows".

No, what you mean is: the update you installed when last I shut it down, is not compatible with the network card. But you installed it anyway.

I thought I'd scuppered that but apparently not.

I really don't have enough hours in the day for this crap. It's insane. You never know whether something will work from one day to the next.

38 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Download Malware Bytes. Run a scan.

Cheers. I use Malwarebytes on PC, and trust that programme. Now have phone up and running with new PUK code.

Scanning now. AVG found nowt.

I found something called AR Fun that i defo didnt knowingly download so thats been choppped.

Edit.

Malwarebytes found nowt. Very strange experience.

Screen continues to behave normally. Sure its not the screen bug.

Can you blanket turn off the mic on an iphone?

Edited by shindigger

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I really don't have enough hours in the day for this crap. It's insane. You never know whether something will work from one day to the next.

Thats what pissed me off with windows to the point that my main machines are now Linux.

Went from XP to 8 and the Canon scanner stopped working (no drivers) bought another, exactly the same in appearance but black instead of silver works fine, but so did the old one.

HP Printer - no updated drivers - no worky.

I think the big one was when the operating systems went from 32 to 64 bit.

Still have an XP laptop to run legacy software that is too expensive to replace and works great and have kept a windows 8 one for the same reason.

Tried Windows 10 on a new machine and got thoroughly pissed off with it so flattened it and stuck Mint on instead.

Updates are always turned off on the Windows machines, Linux doesn't hassle me for them.

5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Updates are always turned off on the Windows machines, Linux doesn't hassle me for them.

I thought I'd done that. However it appears to require something rather more hard-core than what I'd done.

It worked perfectly when I last used it. Now it has no network connectivity whatsoever. So it isn't as if a future update will fix it. That's the end of "updates" on it along with most of the useful things it could previously do ;)

The support issues this sort of thing creates must be incredible.

The same sort of crap goes on with the Fire Stick thing in the TV.

I think people need their own internal home firewall which has a self-updating list of update IPs that it blocks. I can see a market for such a thing.

26 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Can you blanket turn off the mic on an iphone?

A quick search says - apparently not. You can turn it off for apps one at a time. The only way to disable it is to actually open the thing up and disconnect it. But then presumably you wouldn't be able to be heard in phone calls.

I don't have my iPhone any more so I can't confirm.

However "updates" have a habit of reverting settings back the way that Apple or the manufacturer would prefer you to have them so you would need to check regularly.

12 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I thought I'd done that. However it appears to require something rather more hard-core than what I'd done.

It worked perfectly when I last used it. Now it has no network connectivity whatsoever. So it isn't as if a future update will fix it. That's the end of "updates" on it along with most of the useful things it could previously do ;)

The support issues this sort of thing creates must be incredible.

I found an 'app' written by an Australian guy that was mentioned on The Register.

Tried it an it did the business for Windows 8, not an issue for XP.

image.png.dda591b580df662e732cca13e6ade8c7.png

8 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

AR Fun is integral to the Sony camera app I believe. My current Sony also has a screwy screen that got progressively worse over time, and colleagues with the same phone experienced the same thing. I reckon it's the screen, personally...

I'm trying an LG next time I think.

Appears to be a known fault

This makes sense if you scroll down far enough to get to the point where people start speaking in English

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z2/GHOST-touch-problem-Z2/td-p/663333#gref

42 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I found an 'app' written by an Australian guy that was mentioned on The Register.

Tried it an it did the business for Windows 8, not an issue for XP.

image.png.dda591b580df662e732cca13e6ade8c7.png

Apps like that set Registry settings and so provide an easy to use UI - easier than understanding how to set "Policy Settings".

This is what my desktop machine looks like right now:

win-up.png

Various IPs and domains are blocked at a network level to limit Cortana's access and certain traffic.

However I have little confidence that the thing won't override the settings at some point and/or get around that.

This is on a developer machine where stability is essential.

Ah, but you get so much for free.

No. It's Windows 10 Pro and it cost £189.

24 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Appears to be a known fault

This makes sense if you scroll down far enough to get to the point where people start speaking in English

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z2/GHOST-touch-problem-Z2/td-p/663333#gref

Not sure why it was directly responding to being called a c**t though.:D

Maybe the air pressure from my voice was enough, if the screen is THAT sensitive.

Thing is, it hasn't behaved like that before or since, its now sat here quietly minding its own business. Probably.:ph34r:

It started after a mail from Saab Scene, phone then on its own displayed a website called Autoguide.com or somesuch and that is in the opera browser history. That site opened on my phone under its own steam and then the fun started.

4 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Not sure why it was directly responding to being called a c**t though.:D

Maybe the air pressure from my voice was enough, if the screen is THAT sensitive.

Thing is, it hasn't behaved like that before or since, its now sat here quietly minding its own business. Probably.:ph34r:

It started after a mail from Saab Scene, phone then on its own displayed a website called Autoguide.com or somesuch and that is in the opera browser history. That site opened on my phone under its own steam and then the fun started.

It does sound like some sort of short-circuit or similar in the screen hardware that's causing it to "tap everywhere by itself"

One thread suggests dialling *#*#7378423#*#* which will bring up a screen test app you can run. 

However threads I'm seeing suggest the test will succeed and the behaviour is random in nature.

There's mention of a feature called "glove mode" which might have something to do with it.

Try Googling "xperia z2 gone mad"

7 minutes ago, DTMark said:

It does sound like some sort of short-circuit or similar in the screen hardware that's causing it to "tap everywhere by itself"

One thread suggests dialling *#*#7378423#*#* which will bring up a screen test app you can run. 

However threads I'm seeing suggest the test will succeed and the behaviour is random in nature.

There's mention of a feature called "glove mode" which might have something to do with it.

Try Googling "xperia z2 gone mad"

Thanks.

I did read that increasing the brightness to maximum clears it for some.

It REALLY felt like i was having a conversation with persons unknown. As my level of abuse increased, so did the amount that it went bananas. Culminating in the pin getting done. Every time i switched phone off, it would restart. I yanked the sim in the end, that was the only thing that stopped it.

SIM is reset now and all is quiet. If it was the screen id expect problem to persist??

AVG and Malwarebytes give it the all clear.

Will have to see.

Should add i have a glass screen protector on the front. Maybe the heat has turned it in to a mini greenhouse under there??

Feel free to merge with "Is my phone listening to me" thread, somebody.

Edited by shindigger

2 hours ago, DTMark said:

One slightly mad explanation might be that it overheated.

To be on the safe side - and to reassure yourself - I suspect a factory reset may be in order.

Totally true phones do not like getting hot, which is quite frequently at the moment in the UK. 

6 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Thanks.

I did read that increasing the brightness to maximum clears it for some.

It REALLY felt like i was having a conversation with persons unknown. As my level of abuse increased, so did the amount that it went bananas. Culminating in the pin getting done. Every time i switched phone off, it would restart. I yanked the sim in the end, that was the only thing that stopped it.

SIM is reset now and all is quiet. If it was the screen id expect problem to persist??

AVG and Malwarebytes give it the all clear.

Will have to see.

Feel free to merge with "Is my phone listening to me" thread, somebody.

In all honesty Apple and Android phones are still about a decade behind Windows (desktop). I suspect we will see some (more) very high profile hacks on these over time. Mind you Windows is doing its best to go backwards in terms of reliability. It hasn't been what I'd call "flawless" since Windows 2000 SP4 (?).

In theory updates should fix security issues.

However their bug-ridden nature suggests they're rushed since people seem to want "the latest thing" all the time so it's a competition to get "updates" to people so they feel.. valued.

And in doing so, security flaws are sometimes the result of security updates.

Nothing is tested properly any more because if there's a bug there can always be another update.

However on balance, given that this is a known problem with those phones, it's probably a fault rather than the result of hacking.