• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Nursing diversity

There is a need for more nurses and the solution proferred is more men because nursing is one of the least "gender diverse" professions in the UK with just 11% men.

Instead of worrying about gender balance how about:

Drop the recent imposition of the requirement for a self-funded degree

Pay an increased salary (simple supply and demand: can't recruit enough = not paying enough)

I'm not one of those going around saying "poor nursey" as in the regions they do very nicely thank you but there is a simple rule that if you can't fill your vacancies then you aren't paying enough.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

There is a need for more nurses and the solution proferred is more men because nursing is one of the least "gender diverse" professions in the UK with just 11% men.

Pay an increased salary (simple supply and demand: can't recruit enough = not paying enough)

I'm not one of those going around saying "poor nursey" as in the regions they do very nicely thank you but there is a simple rule that if you can't fill your vacancies then you aren't paying enough.

They recruit middle-class academic high achievers that are too squeamish and impractical with over-high expectations of life into a profession that needs strong, practical, non-squeamish and caring people and wonder why they leave?

Then they think the solution is to recruit male ‘A’ students instead? 

42 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Speaking personally, I don't think it is always about pay in vocational professions, and I'd like nursing to be a vocational profession rather than attracting in any character bcause of the money. I think the same applies to teaching, police, scientists etc, as the latter, I am always more focused on having the best tools to do my work than the best pay.

Obviously, someone needs sufficient money to live and feel valued, but I think it is as much about the conditions at work. Can a nurse do the job as they want to be able to do it?

One of those conditions is the need for a degree` and, as you say, remove it. Other simple things, such as free parking at work, or perhaps more contact with patients rather that separated off as it is now. I don't know, I'm not a nurse. Perhaps ask nurses what they would like to make their job more enjoyable? Then word may get out and nursing would attract more vocational recruits back to the role.

Edited by Hopeful

39 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The dgree is stupid - like for a lot of tings. Just a sop to the more and more usless HE sector.

A 2 years 16-18 course, followed by 3 years day release/work will be fine.

As far as pay - nurses get pat a lot.

For the eudcation and effort required, nursing offers peple the biggest bang for buck.

BNoth the Nursing orgs and HS needs to be honets about pay and working condiotns - 3 x 12h shift and youve done your work for the week.

The thing that gets nursing, as with anything else that recruits women in their 20s is havign kids - same goes for teching, same goes for GPs now.

Ples the NHS as org is fucking useless at managing its rokforce. It operates as a clique.

With only 11% male nurses, its clear that there is institutional sexism within the NHS and the male gender is not being fully represented. This needs a full enquiry with proposed action to close the evil gender gap. Such as female nurses made to attend gender divirsity awareness courses. Affirmative action in the form of male nurses not needing any qualifications, 25% higher pay and an extra day off each week to allow time for dealing with male gender specific issues.

The working environment also needs to be addressed. For example are there enough shaver points and mirrors? Are there resources for those with hipster beards?

Any female nurses who complain about any of the above to be reprimanded and publicy shamed on twitter and facebook.

A few protests with pink haired students shouting 'sexisit scum, off our streets!' outside hospitals with extensive coverage from the So-Called BBC of the massive crowds, estimated to be somewhere between 1 and 2 million should get the virtue signalling MP's whipped up into a frenzy on twitter.

I trust you all get the sarcasm and the 'between 1 and 2 million' 

When I was at uni in the 80s my institution did what I believe at the time was the only nursing degree in the country. I knew some girls on it. Interestingly, and relevantly, I don't think any of them had their eye on a career doing actual nursing...  wiping arses, giving bedbaths, that sort of stufff.

Now extrapolate....

12 minutes ago, null; said:

With only 11% male nurses, its clear that there is institutional sexism within the NHS and the male gender is not being fully represented. This needs a full enquiry with proposed action to close the evil gender gap. Such as female nurses made to attend gender divirsity awareness courses. Affirmative action in the form of male nurses not needing any qualifications, 25% higher pay and an extra day off each week to allow time for dealing with male gender specific issues.

The working environment also needs to be addressed. For example are there enough shaver points and mirrors? Are there resources for those with hipster beards?

Any female nurses who complain about any of the above to be reprimanded and publicy shamed on twitter and facebook.

A few protests with pink haired students shouting 'sexisit scum, off our streets!' outside hospitals with extensive coverage from the So-Called BBC of the massive crowds, estimated to be somewhere between 1 and 2 million should get the virtue signalling MP's whipped up into a frenzy on twitter.

I trust you all get the sarcasm and the 'between 1 and 2 million' 

then can we do primary schools next?

20 minutes ago, Melchett said:

When I was at uni in the 80s my institution did what I believe at the time was the only nursing degree in the country. I knew some girls on it. Interestingly, and relevantly, I don't think any of them had their eye on a career doing actual nursing...  wiping arses, giving bedbaths, that sort of stufff.

Now extrapolate....

Thats, rightly, would be termed a health care assisstant job.

You dont need much education to log and wipe.

However, there is a need for a lot of people with higher skills - able to perform certain procedures, keep a record, make a decision, etc etc.

However, going by by my one and only stay in hospital a number of years ago, maybe nurses are not the best.

I came out of surgery and the ward sister insisted that I eat something. Err, I should not be eating. No, it says on your notes ..

They were the wrong notes. Not sure how she confused a 20yo bloke with a 50yo woman...

Frankly, iD have been better off if heyd given me a list of instructions and dos/dont to follow.

I could have sorted myself out for hte pills and fetching.

The introduction of a degree and "Project 2000" was the worst thing that happened to nursing.  They should reintroduce the RSN, RSCN etc. qualifications and ensure that the nurses are actually caring for patients and not pushing paper.  My wife started nursing in the 80's and did a 1 year "degree" in the mid 90's.  That was 1 year studying on full pay from the NHS - complete waste of time.

4 minutes ago, sukuinage said:

The introduction of a degree and "Project 2000" was the worst thing that happened to nursing.  They should reintroduce the RSN, RSCN etc. qualifications and ensure that the nurses are actually caring for patients and not pushing paper.  My wife started nursing in the 80's and did a 1 year "degree" in the mid 90's.  That was 1 year studying on full pay from the NHS - complete waste of time.

Don’t be daft. They would not be able to gouge them for 30k for the qualification if they did that. 

Just now, One percent said:

Don’t be daft. They would not be able to gouge them for 30k for the qualification if they did that. 

Ahh, sorry.  Went off the agenda for a moment.