• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Food intolerance and alcohol

I posted before that I'd finally managed to work out the cause of a stack of bizarre seemingly disparate symptoms I'd had for a fair while.

99% sure that the problem is yeast. My body doesn't like it at all.

Bread, pizza and beer are the worst. Vodka is tolerated in small quantities.

As I understand it yeast is an essential component of alcoholic drinks albeit vodka is highly purified; if it were not and the yeast were not removed as far as possible then the liquid would discolour in the bottle.

However I did by chance find one drink to which I appear to have no allergic or intolerance response at all and I'm intrigued as to why.

It's this (the strawberry and lime one is gorgeous):

Pear Cider

Would anyone care to take a guess as to why this is?

What's so special about that?

Of course, it's entirely possible that the problem is not yeast but some other related or unrelated component in food and drink that just happens to be in products that also contain yeast.

I'd love to know what it is.

9 minutes ago, This Time said:

Could be yeast in concert with something else - my money would be on gluten as it's in every fucking thing.

I would second gluten and I suspect that is why the cider works for you as it’s relatively low in gluten.

Does pasta cause you issues?

If I drink maybe two cans of beer for the first time in a week or so, I'll get a dull but mild hangover that lasts most of the next day.

If I drink any beer or vodka in the next two or three days, or have anything else with yeast in it (bread, baps etc.), I'll get a severe hangover that lasts for two days and renders me absolutely useless. I say yeast - it might be something else.

The symptoms I get are a near-exact match for yeast intolerance but then presumably those would be similar for many intolerances.

Inability to focus eyes, "hard eyeballs" - for instance can't look at a computer screen, can't focus properly on moving things
Crippling tiredness
Foggy brain
Sense of anxiety
Ache in left shoulder
Headache or migraine
Loud creaking noises from my digestive system
Constipation
Asthma and other allergic responses like itching

It takes about two days for whatever it was to be excreted before all returns to normal. The difference is like feeling 20 years younger.

Liver function tested OK. Blood tests showed iGE response which is indicative of a response to wheat, yeast, gluten etc. but nothing else unusual.

This pattern is so well-established and obviously related to something I'm eating or drinking; if it were something else it wouldn't "come and go".

37 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

I would second gluten and I suspect that is why the cider works for you as it’s relatively low in gluten.

Does pasta cause you issues?

No. That's what's so weird. Or maybe not?

Never thought I was intolerant of any food but having not eaten bread or potatoes or any high carbohydrate food for a couple of months (for weight loss reasons) I must say I feel surprisingly better for some reason I can't put my finger on. 

I've been off sugar, booze and carbs for 4 days now.

As well as losing 6Ib, I've definitley noticed a difference in focus and productivity at work and have far less aches and pains in the morning.

Last night I had some real cravings for anything sweet and found myself reaching for a bottle of lemonade.

I'm sure it's all down to gut bacteria/candida - I think I need to do another course of pro-biotics and stick to eating clean as possible.

Did I mention the candida medication I took - my GP told me to go and buy a particular product which is normally used to treat thrush in women. And men who have had sex with those women.

I'd been to this particular dispensary before and the Christopher Biggins style pharmacist kept flirting with me. I just knew it was going to be the same guy as last time. One person in front of me. She pays and leaves and I sidle up to the counter.

I show him the name of the thing on my phone and smile sweetly. His brows furrowed briefly. He looks up. Unable to find the words, he turns and goes to the area where it's kept. I could sense the burning question and his difficulty in phrasing it.

Finally: "Did your GP tell you to take this?"

"Yes". I smile back. I know exactly what you're thinking.

He comes back to the counter and scans the packet. Still obviously pondering how he could have been so wrong. I grin at him and check there's nobody behind me. I pay.

As I'm about to walk off I couldn't resist.

"No, I haven't been having sex with dirty women."

3 minutes ago, DTMark said:

You don't know what you're missing. Or maybe you do. Anyway you have me wondering about yeast now because the worst foods for me are the same as yours. And I like beer in hot summers! :CryBaby:

Did I poison my intestines with yeast infections many years back through cunnilingus with dirty burds? I remember one of them was off yeast herself for a bit. What's this medecine you mention?

28 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Did I mention the candida medication I took - my GP told me to go and buy a particular product which is normally used to treat thrush in women. And men who have had sex with those women.

I'd been to this particular dispensary before and the Christopher Biggins style pharmacist kept flirting with me. I just knew it was going to be the same guy as last time. One person in front of me. She pays and leaves and I sidle up to the counter.

I show him the name of the thing on my phone and smile sweetly. His brows furrowed briefly. He looks up. Unable to find the words, he turns and goes to the area where it's kept. I could sense the burning question and his difficulty in phrasing it.

Finally: "Did your GP tell you to take this?"

"Yes". I smile back. I know exactly what you're thinking.

He comes back to the counter and scans the packet. Still obviously pondering how he could have been so wrong. I grin at him and check there's nobody behind me. I pay.

As I'm about to walk off I couldn't resist.

:D

What was it? Did it help in any way?

I think it might have been branded "Canestan". It's a thrush treatment.

Single dose. One large pill.

I then went on a special diet and felt great however being vegetarian the options are very limited. No matter how much you call them kale chips, bits of kale put under the grill for 5 minutes do not chips make.

GP then prescribed a 7 day course of an anti-yeast chemical, one per day. I can't be sure but I think it might have been Metronidazole. Not available over the counter.

This did indeed appear to help.

Problem went away for months but it's back now. 

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

You don't know what you're missing. Or maybe you do. Anyway you have me wondering about yeast now because the worst foods for me are the same as yours. And I like beer in hot summers! :CryBaby:

Did I poison my intestines with yeast infections many years back through cunnilingus with dirty burds? I remember one of them was off yeast herself for a bit. What's this medecine you mention?

The most common cause (of this, in men) is too many antibiotics.

They kill gut bacteria and upset the balance.

About 6 months before all this started I did indeed have two courses of Amoxicillin, one for a raging infection and the other for a dental abscess.

14 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I then went on a special diet and felt great however being vegetarian the options are very limited. No matter how much you call them kale chips, bits of kale put under the grill for 5 minutes do not chips make.

GP then prescribed a 7 day course of an anti-yeast chemical, one per day. I can't be sure but I think it might have been Metronidazole. Not available over the counter.

About 6 months before all this started I did indeed have two courses of Amoxicillin, one for a raging infection and the other for a dental abscess.

Yeah have had loads of antibiotics over the years, unfortunately. I wonder sometimes if I could starve myself back to some kind of internal flora balance by fasting like Durch on TOS did for long periods, as my 24h fasts certainly help. I assume yeasts would be killed off at least.  

5 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yeah have had loads of antibiotics over the years, unfortunately. I wonder sometimes if I could starve myself back to some kind of internal flora balance by fasting like Durch on TOS did for long periods, as my 24h fasts certainly help. I assume yeasts would be killed off at least.  

I always used to think those probiotic yoghurts were just marketing guff, but I might get some to try.

The special diet basically involved eating nothing containing any sugars, wheat, yeast or gluten.

It doesn't sound that difficult but it is particularly tricky when you're vegetarian. Even vegetarian stock cubes tend to contain yeast. For a meat-eater the recommended meat was chicken.

18 hours ago, inactionman said:

Probably because most swedish "cider" is basically fruit juice and vodka, not traditional cider.

I think I might be a cider snob as I find all these flavoured ciders to be disgusting! Give me a bottle of Old Rosie any day.

If you like drinking pineapple and Haribo flavoured cider then why not just stick to Robinsons squash?  :P (Only kidding, kind of)

13 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I think I might be a cider snob as I find all these flavoured ciders to be disgusting! Give me a bottle of Old Rosie any day.

If you like drinking pineapple and Haribo flavoured cider then why not just stick to Robinsons squash?  :P (Only kidding, kind of)

As a Camra member, I generally agree. A proper fruit cider can be nice as well though. Recommend the westons Flat Tyre, it's rosie's pig plus rhubarb. Very easy drinking on a hot day!

4 minutes ago, inactionman said:

As a Camra member, I generally agree. A proper fruit cider can be nice as well though. Recommend the westons Flat Tyre, it's rosie's pig plus rhubarb. Very easy drinking on a hot day!

Do you have a beard?

That does sound nice - I love rhubarb and it goes well with apple anyway, but I just can't see the reason to buy these ciders or even label them as such... They are just alcoholic fruit flavoured drinks really, a bit like alcopops of yesteryear but stronger. Still, to each their own etc...

6 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Do you have a beard?

That does sound nice - I love rhubarb and it goes well with apple anyway, but I just can't see the reason to buy these ciders or even label them as such... They are just alcoholic fruit flavoured drinks really, a bit like alcopops of yesteryear but stronger. Still, to each their own etc...

Lol, no beard, just an appreciation for real cider!

Flat tyre is real cider with added rhubarb juice, give it a go. It's in most supermarkets in cans. It's the swedish stuff that's basically alcopops.

20 hours ago, DTMark said:

I posted before that I'd finally managed to work out the cause of a stack of bizarre seemingly disparate symptoms I'd had for a fair while.

99% sure that the problem is yeast. My body doesn't like it at all.

Bread, pizza and beer are the worst. Vodka is tolerated in small quantities.

As I understand it yeast is an essential component of alcoholic drinks albeit vodka is highly purified; if it were not and the yeast were not removed as far as possible then the liquid would discolour in the bottle.

However I did by chance find one drink to which I appear to have no allergic or intolerance response at all and I'm intrigued as to why.

It's this (the strawberry and lime one is gorgeous):

Pear Cider

Would anyone care to take a guess as to why this is?

What's so special about that?

Coz it's a poof's drink? :)

No offence intended, just couldn't resist :)

18 hours ago, DTMark said:

Every single day I have a consultation with Dr Giggle as I try to keep my battered old body on the go. Such a lot of ailments seem - now I'm noooo doctor - to be related to the gut. Over the past while, I've seen much more awareness-raising of gut health in the Press and TV etc. Can't remember where I read it, but the gut is something like a second brain in the human body and has the brain capacity or power akin to a cat's.

Anyhoo, as well as antibiotics being nasty towards gut bacteria, chlorine in water's not great for the flora either. Here are a couple of links re this: https://www.thecandidadiet.com/chlorine-immune-system/       https://www.guthealthproject.com/how-tap-water-affects-gut-health/

I found when I drank bottled water, I wasn't so bothered with the squits. But then there's been a whole lot of stuff in the news about plastics recently and - if I read it right - nasties leaching out of the plastic bottles.

So, what to do?

I got a water filter jug from a catalogue shop near me - cost £15 and came with three 60-day cartridges. Depending on use (ie volume of water you run through each one), they might last longer, or not so long. It's BPA-free (whatever that means, but it should be good).

Monday night I set it up and have been drinking it since Tuesday morning. It claims the filtered water is good for kettles, so I use it to make my instant coffee. I add the filtered water to my porridge. I've been drinking gallons of it during this hot spell as I've been slaving outside on a really tough job. Seriously sweaty, manual, hard labour.

Normally, the heat and the huge intake of water could make me squitty. This hasn't happened with the filtered stuff. I'm not selling the product (hence why I haven't named it), but I'm more than happy with the taste of it when I pour it from the fridge.

Granted, it's only been a few days since I've been on the filtered water, but the amount I've drank would probably be what I'd drink during a whole week in the winter months.

I've got rosacea and I've been doing a lot of Giggling on its links to gut bacteria (wrong kind/lack of), so will do anything to try and cure it.

Sorry about the gory details - but I know I'm among friends!

Oh, forgot to mention, the box says it reduces chlorine, pesticides, limescale, lead, herbicides and heavy metals.

Edited by Gordie Lastchance
Forgot the important bit!

1 hour ago, Gordie Lastchance said:

I've got rosacea

I'd had increasingly worse spots on my cheeks over the last few months. Was trying various things and eventually run out of the potions I had, and used husband's nivea for men facewash. All gone. Amazing stuff. Either that or I was allergic to the cat and her being gone has also done the trick.

5 hours ago, sarahbell said:

I'd had increasingly worse spots on my cheeks over the last few months. Was trying various things and eventually run out of the potions I had, and used husband's nivea for men facewash. All gone. Amazing stuff. Either that or I was allergic to the cat and her being gone has also done the trick.

Grateful to you for that suggestion - and timely it's proved too! Just been down to Tesco and came back with a normal tube and a sensitive one because they're on a special deal at the mo (£4 each or two for £5). I hope you've helped me to the miracle cure I've been chasing for such a long time. Last one was washing my face with Dermol 500 then applying Aveeno (after having read about someone swearing by it somewhere out there on the 'net). That didn't work, unfortunately.

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:28, sukuinage said:

Coz it's a poof's drink? :)

No offence intended, just couldn't resist :)

Of course. I always drink it while I'm listening to Samantha Fox records.

Oh, wait..

sam-fox.jpg

I tried rice again last night. The food allergy test showed I was allergic to that.

Have felt like s**t all day.

Clearly, not time to put rice back in the diet.

8 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Of course. I always drink it while I'm listening to Samantha Fox records.

Oh, wait..

sam-fox.jpg

I tried rice again last night. The food allergy test showed I was allergic to that.

Have felt like s**t all day.

Clearly, not time to put rice back in the diet.

I think your problem might be in listening to Sam fox signing. I didn’t know she could. 

She opened a chippy near me so guess she can fry fish.