• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

White ball, red ball cricket

In common with most people I don't follow cricket these days (but used to avidly, possibly because we all used to play it) but the story yesterday about red ball contracts (five day county games) and white ball contracts (the short game) was new to me.

As an outsider it looks like the professional future of cricket is the short game, and I can see that I might get back into that, whilst the five day games dwindle into an amateur diversion.

I'd be interested to hear from someone with a better understanding of the position than me (which is pretty much everyone!).

I will also put here something I read recently about Ian Botham's early years in cricket; when I read that I realised how much effort it takes to get that good.

He played both cricket and football for the school's teams at the age of nine; two years earlier than most of his contemporaries.[8][9] Playing against the older boys forced Botham to learn to hit the ball hard, and improve to their standard. At the same age he went to matches with his father, who played for Westland Sports Club, and if one of the teams was short, he would try to get a match. His father recalled that though he never got to bowl, and rarely got to bat, he received praise for the standard of his fielding.[10] He joined the Boys' Brigade where more sporting opportunities were available.[5] By the time he was nine, he had begun to "haunt" local recreation grounds with his kit always ready, looking to play for any team that was short of players.[5] By the age of twelve he was playing occasional matches for Yeovil Cricket Club's second team.[11]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Botham

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

In common with most people I don't follow cricket these days (but used to avidly, possibly because we all used to play it) but the story yesterday about red ball contracts (five day county games) and white ball contracts (the short game) was new to me.

As an outsider it looks like the professional future of cricket is the short game, and I can see that I might get back into that, whilst the five day games dwindle into an amateur diversion.

I'd be interested to hear from someone with a better understanding of the position than me (which is pretty much everyone!).

I will also put here something I read recently about Ian Botham's early years in cricket; when I read that I realised how much effort it takes to get that good.

He played both cricket and football for the school's teams at the age of nine; two years earlier than most of his contemporaries.[8][9] Playing against the older boys forced Botham to learn to hit the ball hard, and improve to their standard. At the same age he went to matches with his father, who played for Westland Sports Club, and if one of the teams was short, he would try to get a match. His father recalled that though he never got to bowl, and rarely got to bat, he received praise for the standard of his fielding.[10] He joined the Boys' Brigade where more sporting opportunities were available.[5] By the time he was nine, he had begun to "haunt" local recreation grounds with his kit always ready, looking to play for any team that was short of players.[5] By the age of twelve he was playing occasional matches for Yeovil Cricket Club's second team.[11]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Botham

Botham is my sporting hero.

I was very pissed off that my lad got to caddie for him this week. And got paid £100+ to do so.

I would have done it for free.

Son's verdict is that he is a top bloke, and doesn't like being called Sir.

By selecting a white-ball-only cricket player for the England-India red-ball Test match(Rashid), I'd say the ECB have just killed off red-ball county cricket. Or hammered another nail into it's coffin at any rate.

What's the point of anyone playing it now? No-one watches, and it's obviously no longer necessary in order to get in the Test team.

6 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

By selecting a white-ball-only cricket player for the England-India red-ball Test match(Rashid), I'd say the ECB have just killed off red-ball county cricket. Or hammered another nail into it's coffin at any rate.

What's the point of anyone playing it now? No-one watches, and it's obviously no longer necessary in order to get in the Test team.

It has also been sidelined to the fringes of the season (spring and late summer) when it is more likely to be affected by the weather.

What has Leach done to be dropped?

Can't say I've ever met him and maybe your son got a more accurate perspective in real life but the debacle with him setting up an anti-RSPB campaign group just so he could shoot grouse made him look like a bit of a cunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/16/grouse-shooters-kill-first-casualty-is-truth-astroturfing-botham-rspb-packham

I suppose, however, you can admire the man's sporting prowess and ignore private matters. I find it helps to do that when listening to a lot of bands that I like, or movies that I watch; most of the people in them can be deduced as either weirdos or tossers in real life after a quick Google search. Sometimes the less you know...

7 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I'd say they achieved the same by fucking off Bess and Leach and even Parkinson at Lancs, to let Moeen back in the side.

A "batsman", who hasn't scored an international 50 in well over 20 knocks. (Yes i checked).

Rashid is a one off, who was treated poorly by the previous selection panels, along with quite a few others.

I'm glad to see him back in the test arena, he will bowl balls that get great players out, see Kohli in the ODI game recently.

People been comparing that ball to the Warne / Gatting ball.

Moeen is the story here not Rashid. That is an absolute shit show.

I hope Moeen gets fucking pummelled.

As far as Bothams early history goes, that is the path that every young lad follows to get in to cricket sides. When i was 11 i cylcled 3 miles to see if there was a game, then cycled home to get my kit then cycled back and played. Should have taken kit in first place9_9

And it still goes on today. Youngsters unless exceptionally gifted, Bat at 10, dont get a bowl, but get praised to the rafters for getting behind the ball in the field and wearing a few.

Been there, done that. 

1 hour ago, InLikeFlynn said:

It has also been sidelined to the fringes of the season (spring and late summer) when it is more likely to be affected by the weather.

What has Leach done to be dropped?

Or Bess.

Wrong religion bruv.

Disgraceful.

Edited by shindigger

26 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Moeen is the story here not Rashid. That is an absolute shit show.

I hope Moeen gets fucking pummelled.

Disgraceful.

I love Moe.  I like his chilled attitude and his cover drive is one of the prettiest sites in the game, but that's not enough.

He's a throwback to the the woeful 90s: an English "allrounder" who isn't. (remember David Capel etc..)

Moe's Test average: 32 (batting) & 40 (bowling). He'd  be worth selecting if they were the other way around.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Can't say I've ever met him and maybe your son got a more accurate perspective in real life but the debacle with him setting up an anti-RSPB campaign group just so he could shoot grouse made him look like a bit of a cunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/16/grouse-shooters-kill-first-casualty-is-truth-astroturfing-botham-rspb-packham

I suppose, however, you can admire the man's sporting prowess and ignore private matters. I find it helps to do that when listening to a lot of bands that I like, or movies that I watch; most of the people in them can be deduced as either weirdos or tossers in real life after a quick Google search. Sometimes the less you know...

My lad is very lucky to get to meet some very interesting people - top footballers, businessmen, actors etc and they tend to be quite chatty during the round - especially as he can help them improve their score. This has given him a pretty good eye for who is a wrong un. (and there is nothing like gof for showing up a dodgy geezer!) But then again, he wasn't aware of the RSPB thing - but probably wouldn't have cared anyway. He likes to take people as he finds them.

One thing that did impress him was that Botham had freely given up his day to play the round with three total strangers who had donated £3k to charity to meet him.