• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
BurntBread

Breadmaking machines

I have been thinking about getting one for some time (although it somewhat conflicts with my desire to own as few things as possible). I occasionally make my own bread, but it's a bit of a hassle.

So, inspired by a comment from @Frank Hovis on the "buy British" thread, does anyone have any recommendations for make/model (not necessarily British-made, but very happy there's a good English one)?

I don't mind posting again!

This is mine, £50 from Aldi when they have it in.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/4953635/aldi-is-selling-a-premium-bread-maker-for-50-and-its-more-than-half-the-price-of-one-from-john-lewis/

Prior to this I had a basic breadmaker which IIRC cost £30.

The premium one is way better; the key difference being that the crumb (the middle of the bread) is much finer grained so I can cut very thin slices.  With the basic breadmaker it was doorstep slices or they would just fall apart.

I have heard many good things about the Panasonic so I don't think you can go wrong with that one; just avoid my initial mistake of buying a very cheap one.

For anyone wanting a summary of the Delphic wisdom of ancient DOSBODS on the subject of bread-makers ... it turns out that Panasonic gets many recommendations, and if you get bored of bread, you can drill holes in it for thermocouples, plug it into your laptop, and roast coffee.

2 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

For anyone wanting a summary of the Delphic wisdom of ancient DOSBODS on the subject of bread-makers ... it turns out that Panasonic gets many recommendations, and if you get bored of bread, you can drill holes in it for thermocouples, plug it into your laptop, and roast coffee.

Don't believe a word of it. They are all gluten Nazis. The ones who make white bread are literally Hitler.

I've got a fast bake by Morphy Richards,£50ish.

I don't use any of the fast bake options, just use their French bread recipie. took a few attempts to perfect it. I make a loaf every friday night for saturday breakfast.

Its the only time I eat bread now, took a while to adjust to the taste as supermarket stuff  I had eaten for 20 years dosn't taste like bread 

Edited by snaga

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't mind posting again!

This is mine, £50 from Aldi when they have it in.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/4953635/aldi-is-selling-a-premium-bread-maker-for-50-and-its-more-than-half-the-price-of-one-from-john-lewis/

Prior to this I had a basic breadmaker which IIRC cost £30.

The premium one is way better; the key difference being that the crumb (the middle of the bread) is much finer grained so I can cut very thin slices.  With the basic breadmaker it was doorstep slices or they would just fall apart.

I have heard many good things about the Panasonic so I don't think you can go wrong with that one; just avoid my initial mistake of buying a very cheap one.

That’s the breadmaker I have now.

I bought it a couple of years ago after being without a breadmaker due to my well used and long time used Panasonic one dying.

I’d been thinking about and looking for a replacement for a while and an Ambiano/Aldi was on the might buy list. 

Couldn’t believe my luck one day in my local Aldi store when I snapped up one of three for sale at half price. No brainier! Worth a punt!

I find it just as good as the Panasonic model I’d used for years and have no regrets about buying the “downmarket” Aldi breadmaker in @Frank Hovis‘s link. 

4 hours ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Fuck me... this forum... hot on the heels of the bedwettingly exciting thread on hoovers we are now discussing breadmakers..... again....

Welcome to mumsnet

Hugz

xxxx

Surely, for me anyway, it’s a joy to be a member of a forum where very diverse subject matters can be discussed?

14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Don't pander to him!  @InLikeFlynn has just got to suck it up; we'll be onto slippers next.

Warning....thread derailing post.

On the subject of slippers if you want toasty winter slippers buy a pair of really cheap “ugg” style winter boots. Up for sale at lots of places and on line. If you have a look at such footwear that’s available for £10 or less in sales you may think that I do.....no good for outdoors but perfect winter slippers! :)

Just now, Van Lady said:

Warning....thread derailing post.

On the subject of slippers if you want toasty winter slippers buy a pair of really cheap “ugg” style winter boots. Up for sale at lots of places and on line. If you have a look at such footwear that’s available for £10 or less in sales you may think that I do.....no good for outdoors but perfect winter slippers! :)

Isn’t that what uggs are meant to be, slippers. They were never meant to be outdoor shoes 

2 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

If you want to make bread but don't want more gadgets just make Irish soda bread. Takes about 5 minutes (no kneading/rising time required) and 45 minutes in the oven, tastes lovely. 

Very true. No gadgets required to make nice bread easy.

Do you have a quick, easy suggestion to make Nan bread dough without a breadmaker? I’ll guess that it must be fairly easy because the breadmaker programme for that is only 45mins. 

38 minutes ago, One percent said:

Isn’t that what uggs are meant to be, slippers. They were never meant to be outdoor shoes 

Yes they are supposed to be for indoors - it's what I kept drumming in to Dipsy junior when she was trying to persuade me to fork out huge sums of money for a pair a few years ago.

19 hours ago, Van Lady said:

Surely, for me anyway, it’s a joy to be a member of a forum where very diverse subject matters can be discussed?

It's alright EE/VL... my tongue was firmly in my cheek!

I am the proud owner of a Panasonic SD2500WXC  breadmaker, use it all the time and if provoked will share bread recipes...

For the benefit of the OP, when I bought my last one in ~2010 Panasonic machines were thought (by which?/mumsnet etc.) to make the best bread but are pricey.

Mine has started to play up a bit in late middle age: I had to replace the main spindle assembly from the bucket as it started to leak. I am now in the process of replacing the thermofuses and temperature sensor as it has cut out. Parts are not cheap.