• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Well I never

The founding of the counter-terrorism unit of 22 SAS was down to Michael Bentine (yes, that one) who had worked under Airey Neave in MI9 (encouraging and supporting resistance movements in the war):

Shown live around the world on primetime TV, the storming of the Iranian embassy made the SAS a brand name for military excellence.

But the journey to the embassy amazingly began with advice from a most unlikely character - Michael Bentine of Goon Show fame.

Bentine's zany front concealed a far-sighted man. He was a world class pistol shot and a believer that the two biggest future threats to western society would come from drugs and terrorism.

A chance meeting in the late 1960s led to Bentine convincing a small, influential group within the SAS that they should be prepared to fight fire with fire and develop counter-terrorist strategies.

His persistence contributed indirectly to the forming of the SAS counter-terrorist team in 1973, and gave the UK a head start on most other countries.

The murder of 11 Israeli athletes at Munich Olympics in 1972 by Palestinian gunmen also boosted support for the formation of a counter-terrorist team.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/uk/2000/iranian_embassy_siege/717047.stm

I used to watch him on TV as a kid. I heard he was from Perú or Argentina or some exotic place. 

At one point in WW2 Bentine was attached to a Polish bomber squadron in the RAF. After many months of constant operations he got himself a weekend pass, went away for a few days and returned to base early one morning.

Upon his return he saw some Polish crew at a distance, whom he had got to know really well, preparing to take-off. They waved to him. He waved back.

He thought it odd as he was returning as the sun rose and the squadron usually took-off at dusk for night-time operations. He was tired, didn't think any more of it and went to his quarters and fell asleep.

When he awoke he discovered that the crew he saw when he returned to base had in fact been killed the first night he had gone on leave.

1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

I used to watch him on TV as a kid. I heard he was from Perú or Argentina or some exotic place. 

Father Preuvian. Mother British. Born in the UK. As British as fish & chips which, as I am getting peckish, I think I will go visit my local chippy shortly. A lovely Portugeuse family took it over a month ago and they know how to make fish & chips.

TMT has put a bit of weight on this past month.

I saw his being interviewed and he said he used to see death (as in a skull) in the faces of pilots who were going to die.  I don't think he was lying and he genuinely thought he was seeing these things.

Possibly he had an overactive imagination and obsession with death after nearly dying not long before:

Once in the RAF he went through flying training. He was the penultimate man going through a medical line receiving inoculations for typhoid with the other flight candidates in his class (they were going to Canada to receive new aircraft) when the vaccine ran out. They refilled the bottle to inoculate him and the other man as well. By mistake they loaded a pure culture of typhoid. The other man died immediately, and Bentine was in a coma for six weeks. When he regained consciousness his eyesight was ruined, leaving him myopic for the rest of his life. 

It is interesting reading stories of those who have had NDE's - near-death experiences. They seem to have similar experiences afterwards from having trouble wearing watches without them breaking to saying that they have more spiritualist encounters. They see dead people.

Bentine was a spiritualist or medium throughout his life. Whether this was the result of his NDE or not we will never know.

Spike Milligan -  Pakistani Daleks

Dalek - Hello darling I'm home.

Wife - You’re late tonight?

Dalek - I'm sorry the tubes were full of commuters.

Wife - Well how did you get on then?

Dalek - I ex-ter-min-ated them.

Wife - Hows Mr Banagee?

Dalek - He's not very well.

Wife - Why?

Dalek - I ex-ter-min-ated him.

Dog Barks, gets exterminated.

Dalek - Put him in the curry.

Ends with with saying 'now you know what’s wrong with the country, now you know what’s wrong with the curry.'

Was the tube reference a prophecy?

Whenever I hear of strange links like this I start to think that perhaps we're in a computer simulation where they've run out of capacity and had to double up.

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

The founding of the counter-terrorism unit of 22 SAS was down to Michael Bentine (yes, that one) who had worked under Airey Neave in MI9 (encouraging and supporting resistance movements in the war):

Shown live around the world on primetime TV, the storming of the Iranian embassy made the SAS a brand name for military excellence.

But the journey to the embassy amazingly began with advice from a most unlikely character - Michael Bentine of Goon Show fame.

Bentine's zany front concealed a far-sighted man. He was a world class pistol shot and a believer that the two biggest future threats to western society would come from drugs and terrorism.

A chance meeting in the late 1960s led to Bentine convincing a small, influential group within the SAS that they should be prepared to fight fire with fire and develop counter-terrorist strategies.

His persistence contributed indirectly to the forming of the SAS counter-terrorist team in 1973, and gave the UK a head start on most other countries.

The murder of 11 Israeli athletes at Munich Olympics in 1972 by Palestinian gunmen also boosted support for the formation of a counter-terrorist team.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/uk/2000/iranian_embassy_siege/717047.stm

What did he make of fellow Goon Peter Sellers, who was reputedly a coke-head?

14 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

What did he make of fellow Goon Peter Sellers, who was reputedly a coke-head?

As I've read he repeatedly flattered Secombe and Sellars as "geniuses" but tried to get them to push out Spike Milligan as being second rate; despite his writing all the scripts.