DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Ruined

sarahbell

2 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

xD classy ! I reckon it should be about 500k because it'll be about £2M to restore the period interior

Indeed, they also extend this theory to the date of alterations. Result being more than one disappointed customer was told by the council conservation officer that they could not have a slate or tile roof on their £1M 300 year old stone farmhouse and could only replace corrugated tin with corrugated tin because that is how it was bodged up in the sixties. Otherwise they just make it up as they go along. I suspect my parents have pissed away over £30k in architects fees and comedy surveys trying to get approval for quite reasonable alterations to their home in preparation for old age only to be denied by the conservation officer for spurious reasons at every turn. I heard :ph34r: pre google earth, it was not unheard of for people without adjacent neighbors to make quite extensive 'pre application' alterations to their homes and skilled conservation builders were useful in being able to make new work look as though it had been there for a very long time.

You can remove your home from Streetview which I've done for that very reason!

I've had a CO at my house when the kitchen was being renovated. A neighbour reported me to them and said structural work was being done. The CO was very polite and only took a glance at the work being done and went. He said it was common for green eyed monster and that was most of his work nowadays. 

As with all these things you can get away with lots if you have no cunt neighbour gawping in every morning when she walks her dog along my boundary. 

sleepwello'nights

What I don't understand is how when some buildings are being extended the new construction is made to stand out from the existing structure. I saw a lot of large old country houses that had been turned into wedding venues with very unsympathetic additions. I presumed it was the conservation officers wanting to make sure that the new bits were immediately distinguishable. 

I also remember an article in a local west country newspaper some years ago about a farmer who when trying to repair his listed building did some work on the chimney and unfortunately the building collapsed. 

16 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

What I don't understand is how when some buildings are being extended the new construction is made to stand out from the existing structure. I saw a lot of large old country houses that had been turned into wedding venues with very unsympathetic additions. I presumed it was the conservation officers wanting to make sure that the new bits were immediately distinguishable. 

Because that's what councils want nowadays, I posted more up thread about it. It's preposterous but much easier to get passed if you don't want to spend £10k+ on planning fees and appeals.

9 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Again, I think it's quite nice. And even if it's gaudy and tasteless inside, they're keeping the outside maintained which alone costs a bloody fortune.Seems to be on at about £3.5m though, which seems quite a lot for Northumberland...

I quite like Gareth Southgate's Grade I listed (?) house.

http://thesteepletimes.com/opulence-splendour/fortunes-footballers-gareth-southgate/

46 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Again, I think it's quite nice. And even if it's gaudy and tasteless inside, they're keeping the outside maintained which alone costs a bloody fortune.Seems to be on at about £3.5m though, which seems quite a lot for Northumberland...

I quite like Gareth Southgate's Grade I listed (?) house.

http://thesteepletimes.com/opulence-splendour/fortunes-footballers-gareth-southgate/

Grade 1 must be even more of a nightmare. Hence it looks not all grey inside.

sleepwello'nights
On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:16, spunko2010 said:

As with all these things you can get away with lots if you have no cunt neighbour gawping in every morning when she walks her dog along my boundary. 

Is a fence or tall hedge an option?

Archived