• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Health Inequality my arse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44985650

Its about being a fucking lazy idiot.

'The life expectancy gap between rich and poor people in England has been widening for nearly two decades.

The rich stay healthy longer. The poor die younger.'

No. The poor have been given 4x more money which theyve spent on tabs and parmos. Im not fucking kidding.

' A lifetime of cigarettes and poor food have taken their toll and Rob has numerous health problems including emphysema, lymphedema and type 2 diabetes. '

All those illnesses are lifestyle. Something the NHS was not set up to treat and cannot trteat bar brain transplant.

Replace poor food with expensive takeaways.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/teesside-streets-dominated-many-takeaways-12058828

' He'll leave behind a partner and eight children - the youngest of whom play with him while he's hooked up to a machine that helps him breathe. '

I can't be doing with these excuses. When I was growing up we were what probably would now be called "poor", yet we were all the correct weight, ate fresh food and so on. McDonalds was something we had probably once every 2-3 years. None of us had any illnesses, my siblings and I all had a brilliant attendance records at school etc.

I feel sorry for his children, but ultimately in his final moments he blames himself. Many do not accept that they are at fault, until it's too late.

Poor chap, slow suffocation is a ghastly way to die.

He was probably old enough at some point to know smoking wasn't good for him before too much damage was done.

Our lungs are so precious and the cilia so delicate that I can never understand why anyone would consciously put anything into them other than fresh air, especially not hot smoke.

Edited by Hopeful

Freedom of choice (to smoke, eat crap, do not exercise) means freedom to ruin your health. But think often the kids follow in their parents' footsteps? So it continues.

I'd wager he'd have been one of the first to call "nanny state" if someone had tried to stop him indulging before he was ill?

And this "you have got to die of something" mentality is strong ... until they realise they are not going to drop dead, rather they are going to suffer a long decline quite young.

Sad but what are the NHS supposed to do about it? They were up in arms when Jamie Oliver tried to feed their kids green veg instead of chips? (So frustrating when people won't listen/change before it's too late.)

2 minutes ago, whocares said:

Freedom of choice (to smoke, eat crap, do not exercise) means freedom to ruin your health. But think often the kids follow in their parents' footsteps? So it continues.

If I watched my dad die a slow death at 45 because he ate shit/takeaways and smoked heavily, I'd be off those for life, I'm pretty sure. I think we learn from our parent's mistakes, isn't that when you first reach adulthood in fact, when you realise your parents are not infallible and make mistakes that you would not want to make yourself.

2 minutes ago, whocares said:

I'd wager he'd have been one of the first to call "nanny state" if someone had tried to stop him indulging before he was ill?

And this "you have got to die of something" mentality is strong ... until they realise they are not going to drop dead, rather they are going to suffer a long decline quite young.

Sad but what are the NHS supposed to do about it? They were up in arms when Jamie Oliver tried to feed their kids green veg instead of chips? (So frustrating when people won't listen/change before it's too late.)

I'd argue we don't do anything about adults other than make sure that good information is available for them to make informed decisions, whether that is about smoking or climate change. I wouldn't bale them out for bad decisions.

That's adults.

We should proactively protect children from idiot adults, until they become adults.

11 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Poor chap, slow suffocation is a ghastly way to die.

He was probably old enough at some point to know smoking wasn't good for him before too much damage was done.

Our lungs are so precious and the cilia so delicate that I can never understand why anyone would consciously put anything into them other than fresh air, especially not hot smoke.

He's 47. A couple of years older than.

Trust me, at 8 you new smoking was bad. The DRs and shcool were plastered with Smoking is bad posters.

Everyone knows smoking is bad, weren't there anti-smoking campaigns in the late 60s? The only blame I can level at the government is that I assume neither he nor his partner can cook. Cooking lessons should be brought back into schools to encourage healthier eating for life. I never had Home Economics lessons but my mum can cook so I learned from her, to an extent.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Everyone knows smoking is bad, weren't there anti-smoking campaigns in the late 60s? The only blame I can level at the government is that I assume neither he nor his partner can cook. Cooking lessons should be brought back into schools to encourage healthier eating for life. I never had Home Economics lessons but my mum can cook so I learned from her, to an extent.

This. You learn by just been around someone who can cook.  

I was watching that programme eat well for less yesterday. Woman on there had not a clue. Her mother was squealing about how proud she was.

Pair of useless fuckers. It really isn’t rocket science.  

Just moved to Stockton four days ago from the northwest. My first observation was that there is poverty here, but also some wealth. That this is represented in health stats isn't a surprise.. 

Just now, Stuey said:

Just moved to Stockton four days ago from the northwest. My first observation was that there is poverty here, but also some wealth. That this is represented in health stats isn't a surprise.. 

80% are on benefits.

20% dole out money and healthcare to the above.

51 minutes ago, spygirl said:

' He'll leave behind a partner and eight children - the youngest of whom play with him while he's hooked up to a machine that helps him breathe. '

Watched this and was trying to count his kids and how old the youngest one was. Clearly he can do some exercise.

The inequality is such:

The 'rich' work, have purpose in their life even if it's the daily grind to support their family.

the 'poor' sit about on benefits and have no motivation to exceed at anything, apart from popping out the future unemployed.

14 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

There are a surfeit of cooking shows on TV, and the internet gives you access to more recipes than you could eat in a lifetime. It's not lack of knowledge, it's lack of interest/motivation.

2 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Poverty in the uk - Poverty in India. Computer says no.

'Poverty' in the uk consists of Labour supporters claiming whatever possible (provided by Gov), banging out retarded kidz & eating shit from iceland/lidl/takeaways on shithole estates nationwide. Muzzers included & not just whitey chav

Indian poverty = Scratching a living to provide food/shelter day to day.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Watched this and was trying to count his kids and how old the youngest one was. Clearly he can do some exercise.

The inequality is such:

The 'rich' work, have purpose in their life even if it's the daily grind to support their family.

the 'poor' sit about on benefits and have no motivation to exceed at anything, apart from popping out the future unemployed.

Indeed. It's pretty clear that benefits need to be in exchange for labour, say after 12 months. So people on bennies should have to do local community work (clean pavements, parks, help the elderly etc) - giving money for absolutely ZERO labour in return hurts them as it removes the work ethic and all incentives. Hours worked should be at minimum wage, so £200 in bennies a week is 25 hours' work. Seems obvious. If they're on disability then they can stuff envelopes or whatever.

43 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

If I watched my dad die a slow death at 45 because he ate shit/takeaways and smoked heavily, I'd be off those for life, I'm pretty sure. I think we learn from our parent's mistakes, isn't that when you first reach adulthood in fact, when you realise your parents are not infallible and make mistakes that you would not want to make yourself.

Some do realise their parents' mistake and then avoid them. But most don't/can't? Why is that?

My parents both smoked as we were growing up ...and then my younger brother started pretty young. (Stole some of theirs cigs to try I suppose?)  When Mum found out, she didn't do much to stop him smoking at home. (How could she? Would have been hypocritical?)  My brother still smokes now, aged 60, having had a major (life changing) stroke 10 yrs ago. (Parents both now dead.)

But in this smoky home environment,  I was never even a tiny bit tempted to try a cig. Ever. How come?

Dad did give up one day (in his 40s) when I was about 8-9 I suppose. (I can just about remember it.) I think it was for financial reasons. He went from chain smoking to zero overnight  - cold turkey.  Very impressive as mum and brother continued to smoke in front of him indoors and leave their fags on view. 

But then he ruined his health by replacing tobacco with sweets ... and became obese. (Not morbidly, but still unhealthily fat.) And he died relatively young. (Fortunately he dropped dead unexpectedly, rather than knowing he was doomed.) 

So I had 2 bad examples to follow - fags and fatness.  Plus no-one did much exercise apart from necessary walking and housework/gardening.  And no-one could swim, so I was never taken to swimming lessons. (Managed to sort of learn all on my own, aged 12.)

So are genes important I think?  As feels like I (and others who like me stayed healthy) had the strength to NOT follow our parents' bad examples?  (In which case I fear fat people tend to produce more fat kids than thin? Genes plus a bad diet at home, and not too much sport?)

Sadly,  our adult son smokes. (Our other/younger 2 kids tried it with their school mates, but don't smoke now.)   He tried so hard to hide it from us, as he knew we would react badly. And once we found out, we did everything we could to get him to stop. But he was too hooked. So he struggled. (He now vapes a low level of nicotine - which is a big improvement.)

Wondered if my mum smoking over him when he was young and her attitude of "smoking is not that bad" might have influenced him to get to the addicted stage in spite of our warnings? (Or does he just have her smoker genes?!) 

My mum was lucky - smoked her whole adult life and died in her 80s. Heart went. (Had a heart attack out of the blue at home, hospitalised, then dead in a couple of days.)  Her death was probably still linked to the fags but she had a better death than if she had got lung disease or cancer. So I can't complain as she was pretty active and mentally alert to the very end. (As I say, she got lucky. Brother not so much.)

Edited by whocares

2 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Indeed. It's pretty clear that benefits need to be in exchange for labour, say after 12 months. So people on bennies should have to do local community work (clean pavements, parks, help the elderly etc) - giving money for absolutely ZERO labour in return hurts them as it removes the work ethic and all incentives. Hours worked should be at minimum wage, so £200 in bennies a week is 25 hours' work. Seems obvious. If they're on disability then they can stuff envelopes or whatever.

You can't make subsistence income harder than stealing from the rich, otherwise all hell breaks loose.

Start taxing all the 'cheques and credit cards not accepted' Kebab houses that proliferate every working class town for a start. If they actually had to pay taxes like the kuffar, most would shut down or become prohibitively expensive.

Even in Turk saturated Germany, they don't have these grim, half shanty looking kebab shops every 20 yards.

I bet throughout time there has been a lazy underclass that have been fairly useless.  The difference now is that we seem to have a weird fetish for turning the poor into saints that deserve our respect. 

Dont get me wrong, we should help the less fortunate. However we should also stop being so compassionate towards the permanent underclass.

31 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I'd argue we don't do anything about adults other than make sure that good information is available for them to make informed decisions, whether that is about smoking or climate change. I wouldn't bale them out for bad decisions.

That's adults.

We should proactively protect children from idiot adults, until they become adults.

The trouble is, it's hard to protect kids from their (possibly) toxic home environment (family and local friends) without permanently removing them?!

7 minutes ago, whocares said:

The trouble is, it's hard to protect kids from their (possibly) toxic home environment (family and local friends) without permanently removing them?!

I'd argue we have done somethings with regard to smoking, such as not smoking in cars, public places, but you can't tackle the home as easily.

Perhaps stamps rather than cash as benefits - controversial :ph34r: Would suit me as I don't really want my taxes spent on fags and booze, false nails, fake tans, I'd much rather my donation was spent on good food, kids clothes, books, days out for the kids. The adults should have no joy, other than their kids.

Edited by Hopeful

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I'd argue we have done somethings with regard to smoking, such as not smoking in cars, public places, but you can't tackle the home as easily.

Perhaps stamps rather than cash as benefits - controversial :ph34r: Would suit me as I don't really want my taxes spent on fags and booze, false nails, fake tans, I'd much rather my donation was spent on good food, kids clothes, books, days out for the kids. The adults should have no joy, other than their kids.

Don't think the not smoking in cars etc laws will stop kids being exposed and from taking their parents' cigs to try? 

I bet the rule breaking classes don't care about passive smoking?  It's mainly the health conscious middle classes who (completely overreact and) make smokers change clothes after smoking a single cig before approaching their baby in the pram?

Teens aged 15-16 (or younger) of the lowest social & economic classes still seem to be smoking in large numbers - you can see examples of kids of this age on TV smoking at home/outside the family home, in full view of their parents. (The rules don't really help them?)

You can't take into care every kid who has a parent who smokes, does no exercise, doesn't work or who doesn't cook? So it's just all a bit of a nudge ... at best? (And not really protective?)