• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

TV Licence

I was in my flat and the door went. I looked out the peephole and saw a guy with a clipboard. I suspected it was the TV licence guy but opened the door anyway as I had the plumber in (see other thread).

TV guy: are you great guy?

me: who wants to know?

TV guy: so you are great guy?

me: sorry. Shuts door.

What happens next? They continually come round asking for me and I pretend not to be in? Does the So-Called BBC ever get court orders for gaining access to private houses?

If there's a TV licence man reading this you'd be instant dosbods royalty if you joined and gave us some inside perspective.

I was harrased by them for a while for an unoccupied property that was being sold. Had all the threatening letters, I recall some letters saying they had visited.

This was 10 years ago before I was up to speed with the tactics they use. However, the house was un occupied and completly empty so I though how the hell could they ever do anything or prove someone was watching TV?

Nothing ever came of it but I was quite angry about the highly misleading and threatening nature of the letters they sent.

I believe in some cases they have had court orders which alows them access. However, even if they get access they still need to prove you are watching live TV.

I'm hoping that when the kids are older I can rip out my TV aerial and all associated cabling and stop paying the TV tax . I hardly ever watch TV these days anyway. I get news from the internet and for entertainment watch Netflix.

Every time they send someone to your door and they are unsuccessfull, it's cost them money. So think of it that everytime they knock on your door, you have just fined them.

Just to add, it seems the mistake many make is admitting they were watching TV.

They try to make excuses or offer to pay, big mistake as you then end up in court with the extra costs. It seems the guys who knock on the dorr will assure people that its all sorted out but then 6 months later a court summons arrives.

I was shown around an empty house awaiting demolition; it had been empty for three years, possibly more, and was very clearly empty.

The chap responsible for looking after this and some other houses had been chucking the post in the bath, the bathroom was by the front door for some reason.

I noticed in the bath the whole series of threatening letters from the licence police including presumably the "We called but you were out" postcard with a handwritten date and time.

These latter are delivered by utility meter readers on their rounds and they don't ring the bell because they are just delivering them.  I know because I happen to have been at home the two times they were pushed through my door.

Just ignore them. Whilst we now have a tv licence for personal reasons (as in I'm still a conscientious objector but there's a small risk of adverse publicity) for 15 years I was license free. Repeated visits and repeatedly turned the goons away. Do not try and withdraw implied right of access AFAIK that is the only reason the T V L have been successful in applying through the courts for a warrant - there has never been one issued on the back of hard evidence from their magical tv detector devices which is rather telling and also most convictions are as a result of self-incrimination and signing their paperwork at the door.

10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I was shown around an empty house awaiting demolition; it had been empty for three years, possibly more, and was very clearly empty.

The chap responsible for looking after this and some other houses had been chucking the post in the bath, the bathroom was by the front door for some reason.

I noticed in the bath the whole series of threatening letters from the licence police including presumably the "We called but you were out" postcard with a handwritten date and time.

These latter are delivered by utility meter readers on their rounds and they don't ring the bell because they are just delivering them.  I know because I happen to have been at home the two times they were pushed through my door.

why look at a houseto be demolished? was you looking for lead/copper/old boilers?

bath by the door? was it in barnsley and did the bath still have coal dust in it?

ive had the ghost of ken dodd round putting cucumbers through my letter box and shouting the aliens are coming, not had a tv license/meter reader come round though.

9 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

why look at a houseto be demolished? was you looking for lead/copper/old boilers?

bath by the door? was it in barnsley and did the bath still have coal dust in it?

ive had the ghost of ken dodd round putting cucumbers through my letter box and shouting the aliens are coming, not had a tv license/meter reader come round though.

Evidencing to me and some others that it was beyond the point of economic refurbishment.

10 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Do not try and withdraw implied right of access AFAIK that is the only reason the T V L have been successful in applying through the courts for a warrant - 

I'm not even sure what good a court order would be for enforcing TV licences. Say the police break into your house and there's a TV there. So what? It doesn't mean you watch live TV. Even if it's connected to an aerial it doesn't mean you watch live TV. 

If your telly is next to a PlayStation or DVD player it would seem reasonable to think you use your telly for gaming or watching DVDs.

Unless you sign a piece of paper saying you watch live TV I don't really think the So-Called BBC can do that much. 

29 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I'm not even sure what good a court order would be for enforcing TV licences.

They still need evidence that you are breaking the law, as somebody posted before, the police can't get a search warrant for my home just because I don't have a shotgun license.

11 minutes ago, snaga said:

They still need evidence that you are breaking the law, as somebody posted before, the police can't get a search warrant for my home just because I don't have a shotgun license.

I always use the example that the police don't knock on every door in the town on the assumption that they're all growing cannabis; for all other offences you are assumed to be following the law unless there is evidence to the contrary.

3 hours ago, null; said:

Just to add, it seems the mistake many make is admitting they were watching TV.

They try to make excuses or offer to pay, big mistake as you then end up in court with the extra costs. It seems the guys who knock on the dorr will assure people that its all sorted out but then 6 months later a court summons arrives.

Not from what I've read. The goon still gives you a chance to signup at that point even after you admit it. They want to avoid court as they don't get commission that way. 

OP you did the right thing. If you live with others tell them to do the same! Most times it's the wife sadly who collapses the house of cards!xD

1 hour ago, ccc said:

How did they know your name when even their own letters dont state a name ? 

They do sometimes as they seem to have access to some databases but not major ones; marketing ones maybe.

Mine has been "The Legal Occupier" for most of the time but for about a year it changed to being addressed for somebody for whom I occasionally get junk mail, who wasn't the previous owner, before reverting to TLO.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

They do sometimes as they seem to have access to some databases but not major ones; marketing ones maybe.

Mine has been "The Legal Occupier" for most of the time but for about a year it changed to being addressed for somebody for whom I occasionally get junk mail, who wasn't the previous owner, before reverting to TLO.

Interesting.

4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I was in my flat and the door went. I looked out the peephole and saw a guy with a clipboard. I suspected it was the TV licence guy but opened the door anyway as I had the plumber in (see other thread).

TV guy: are you great guy?

me: who wants to know?

TV guy: so you are great guy?

me: sorry. Shuts door.

What happens next? They continually come round asking for me and I pretend not to be in? Does the So-Called BBC ever get court orders for gaining access to private houses?

If there's a TV licence man reading this you'd be instant dosbods royalty if you joined and gave us some inside perspective.

Well done.

If you are in a flat then presumably the TV guy had entered your building or property. I would have demanded his ID and any refusal would result in my ordering him off the premises immediately. Don't identify yourself to anyone who turns up uninvited onto your property. The onus is for them to identify themselves, not you. 

They may return. Next time tell them he and his organsiation are banned from the property and any right of access, actual or implied, is revoked. If they return after that they are trespassing.

After that, dig a 5ft deep bear trap with bamboo spikes at the bottom. 

2 hours ago, ccc said:

How did they know your name when even their own letters dont state a name ? 

I used to have a TV licence so I assume I'm still on the data base.

I stay by myself and I work normal office hours. So I hope I'll be able to vet people before I open the door in future. I wouldn't have opened it this morning but for the fact that the plumber was in and it would have looked weird if I never opened the door. 

@Bkkandrew I'd be curious what the dosbods in house barrister thinks about not paying the TV licence?

4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

Even if it's connected to an aerial it doesn't mean you watch live TV.

You need a licence if you have equipment (TV, VCR, DVR) installed for the reception of live broadcast transmissions. Plus some bollocks now about watching BBC iPlayer.

Connecting an aerial (and having power connected to the TV) would likely constitute installation. 

You con't need an aerial connected if you don't watch live TV.

13 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

@Bkkandrew I'd be curious what the dosbods in house barrister thinks about not paying the TV licence?

IANAL but I don't have a TV licence because I do not legally need one. I am sure a lawyer would tell you to get a TV licence if you legally need one.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Not from what I've read. The goon still gives you a chance to signup at that point even after you admit it. They want to avoid court as they don't get commission that way. 

OP you did the right thing. If you live with others tell them to do the same! Most times it's the wife sadly who collapses the house of cards!xD

I think what happens is the goon gets commission if you sign up/pay, they note the details and there is often an admission of guilt in there. Later on when its processed they decide if to take it further or not. Happy to be corrected as this is just from hearsay and other accounts on the web.

Say nothing, don't answer the door. Even if they came back with a warrant (very unikely) its up to them to prove you have been watching live TV, film everything (they have been known to tamper with TVs) and say nothing, don't even say 'no comment'.

Remember they are there looking for evidence to make a case against you and that includes anything you say which has a good chance of being taken out of context. They will try all sorts of tricks to get you to self incriminate.

I've been a victim of this once with the police (traffic cop) when I was younger, they noted down only one part of what I said that completely took it of context.

And be prepared. As you don't watch live TV then remove the aerial, the leads, aerial sockets on the wall etc. Make sure the TV is detuned (some guides on the web on how to do this). Remember you are doing nothing wrong.

I read somewhere that TV license prosecutions are 1 in 10 of all criminal prosecutions in the UK. That's a rather sobering thought.

I've not got a TV but I still tell them to fuck off. 

You can write to the So-Called BBC and forbid them from stepping foot on your property if you want which they have to respect.

Personally I enjoy telling them to fuck off.

8 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

You need a licence if you have equipment (TV, VCR, DVR) installed for the reception of live broadcast transmissions. Plus some bollocks now about watching BBC iPlayer.

Connecting an aerial (and having power connected to the TV) would likely constitute installation. 

You con't need an aerial connected if you don't watch live TV.

IANAL but I don't have a TV licence because I do not legally need one. I am sure a lawyer would tell you to get a TV licence if you legally need one.

Any thoughts on how they enforce it for the iplayer? They could argue any PC or laptop is capable of receiving iplayer so it must be that they need evidence that you have actually watched it?