• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Fischer

Online trolls may be barred from being MP or councillor

Surprised no thread on this (can't see one).

Online trolls who intimidate election candidates or campaigners could be barred from public office under government proposals being considered.

WARNING. Webpage below contains picture of Diane Abott.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44995171

Who's going to decide what a troll is.

Very dangerous.

People who have not been convicted of any offence could be barred from office (eg Watson, Arkaad)

Edited by Fischer

Online trolls who intimidate election candidates or campaigners could be barred from public office under government proposals being considered.

Constitution Minister Chloe Smith said intimidation was putting "talented people" off standing for election.

What went wrong before social media. 

What put them off then because Parliament has lots of people without much talent that entered before social media..

Edited by twocents

Constitution Minister Chloe Smith said intimidation was putting "talented people" off standing for election

Then it seems the only talent they value is the talent of being offended and being put off.  Few people like being offended but if they're that easily put off then maybe they shouldn't be in Parliament to start with.  How do they ever cope during Prime Ministers Question Time - is it because they're tame questions mainly asked by creeps.

They want all the advantages of social media and none of the disadvantages. 

It's like they love the adulation of their supporters that they meet around the country but they are careful not to publicly publish their plans in advance in case they encounter the opposition. 

Then you hear on the radio or telly afterwards that they visited that location today - but never in advance.

11 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Indeed. 
Anyone found trying to engage a candidate in discourse about their party or policies could be called a troll. It's a very dangerous game they're playing.

Yes, if I strongly disagree with a councillor and call them a "disgrace", as frequently happens at public meetings, am I then a troll?

There was a story yesterday about activists cutting down (though they didn't quite do this) a gay pride flag at Bridlington police station and sending an email explaining their actions.

Now I agree with the first bit - the police should not be taking an active political stance - but I happen to disagree with the next paragraphs.

They are however logically argued and they are entitled to hold that view if they wish.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/pride-flag-bridlington-police-station-1840282

And what was the response from the even handed public service that is the police force?

The region's Police and Crime Commissioner Keith Hunter, who was also sent the email, described those responsible as "morons".

There is one Troll in that "conversation" and it is Commissioner Keith Hunter.  Will he now be banned from public office.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, if I strongly disagree with a councillor and call them a "disgrace", as frequently happens at public meetings, am I then a troll?

There was a story yesterday about activists cutting down (though they didn't quite do this) a gay pride flag at Bridlington police station and sending an email explaining their actions.

Now I agree with the first bit - the police should not be taking an active political stance - but I happen to disagree with the next paragraphs.

They are however logically argued and they are entitled to hold that view if they wish.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/pride-flag-bridlington-police-station-1840282

And what was the response from the even handed public service that is the police force?

The region's Police and Crime Commissioner Keith Hunter, who was also sent the email, described those responsible as "morons".

There is one Troll in that "conversation" and it is Commissioner Keith Hunter.  Will he now be banned from public office.

Moron - medical term denoting an adult with a mental age of about 8‚Äď12 i.e. mentally disabled, therefore the above named is not PC o.O

What type of incidents can be a disability hate incident?

Disability hate incidents can take many forms including:

verbal and physical abuse

teasing

bullying

threatening behaviour

online abuse

threatening or insulting texts

damage to property.

Edited by Option5

This could get very, very awkward.

If any hint of potential 'intimidation' of a public servant will automatically disqualify you from the electoral process; I imagine the trollfinders general of each party will be looking at their opposite numbers' social media history very carefully.

Sadly, it also means the end of a number of high profile seams of comedy gold.

Goodbye David. Thanks for the laughs you've given us over the years...

think you might be missing the point here, the incumbent elite - fine for them to do it.

everyone else - troll police for you.

I dont see much of a change, apart from not being able to call ed balls<enter MPs name> what s/he is while never actually meeting them, which would probably be impossible.

(shes japanese i tell you).

Edited by leonardratso

If it was a mistake and I'm not sure it was then it's not such a terrible mistake.  In a way he keeps Japan onside and the Chinese would just dismiss it as a stupid mistake typical of the English.  They have more important issues at hand. The media love to make a meal of such stuff and avoid the important subjects.

I can't believe what I'm reading.

By posting remarks on social media, carefully crafted to intimidate both the former and current foreign secretaries, David Lammy has clearly demonstrated that he is nothing more than an internet troll. He therefore cannot be trusted to hold any form of responsible position in a fair, democratic society.

I demand that he resigns from public office immediately and never stands for election again.

That's how this trollfinder general lark works, isn't it?

4 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

By posting remarks on social media, carefully crafted to intimidate both the former and current foreign secretaries, David Lammy has clearly demonstrated that he is nothing more than an internet troll. He therefore cannot be trusted to hold any form of responsible position in a fair, democratic society.

I demand that he resigns from public office immediately and never stands for election again.

Can any government officer be trusted to hold any form of responsible position in a fair, democratic society?

"Ms Black explained how abuse online includes her regularly being told she wears her dad's suits"

Seriously? What is wrong these people. Can't they either just ignore it or block these people from facebook/twitter whatever like the rest of us?

This is all about silencing anyone who dares to challenge MPs publicly.

Silencing of the people.

She goes on to say:

" "Only a few weeks ago I was physically pressed up against a Member (of Parliament) in the voting lobby who is accused of sexual misconduct, because there's so little room. "

So she has decided that he is guilty then.

Oh the horror of being in a crowded voting lobby with such lowlifes as MPs.

I get on crowded trains every day and get pushed up against people against my will. I'm sure some of them are criminals of some form, or god knows what, but while unpleasant it does no harm.

With morons like this in charge we really are doomed.

56 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

There will be a Trollsmeller Pursuivant. With about as much credibility as this.

1 hour ago, null; said:

"Ms Black explained how abuse online includes her regularly being told she wears her dad's suits"

Seriously? What is wrong these people. Can't they either just ignore it or block these people from facebook/twitter whatever like the rest of us?

This is all about silencing anyone who dares to challenge MPs publicly.

Silencing of the people.

Don't these people realise that if you jump into the bear pit of social media, a bear is likely to attack you? Whatever happened to the soap box? John Major was the last PM I can recall to ever use one. Rees-Mogg is the only MP who seems to have the guts to actively engage in robust debate, not just online but in person. Most of the rest seem to want everything to be nice and fluffy. Sorry but this is partly due to the feminisation of politics, by women who seek to avoid confrontation. 

Edited by Austin Allegro

I assume by Troll they mean someone who is effective at tearing apart the political arguments of the intended recipient.

Yes, I can see why they would not want to be confronted with this in the house.

Edit for spelling.

Edited by onlyme

This is going the same way it always does when politics goes all authoritarian:

Step 1 "I don't like it when people disagree with me"

Step 2 "People who disagree with me should all be sanctioned in some way. I'm so obviously right that they must be attacking me either maliciously, or because they're mental"

Step 3: "Everybody I don't like should be in prison"

Step 4: They start building the camps.

2 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Step 2 "People who disagree with me should all be sanctioned in some way. I'm so obviously right that they must be attacking me either maliciously, or because they're mental"

I often think like that. Good to see I'm not the only one. 9_9

1 hour ago, Option5 said:

Can any government officer be trusted to hold any form of responsible position in a fair, democratic society?

"No one who seeks (political) power should under any circumstances be allowed it."

49 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Don't these people realise that if you jump into the bear pit of social media, a bear is likely to attack you? Whatever happened to the soap box? John Major was the last PM I can recall to ever use one. Rees-Mogg is the only MP who seems to have the guts to actively engage in robust debate, not just online but in person. Most of the rest seem to want everything to be nice and fluffy. Sorry but this is partly due to the feminisation of politics, by women who seek to avoid confrontation. 

40 minutes ago, onlyme said:

I assume by Troll they mean someone who is effective at tearing apart the political arguments of the intended recipient.

Yes, I can see why they would not want to be confronted with this in the house.

Edit for spelling.

22 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

The above posts collectively explain the situation well.

Everyone should be open to having their views challenged from time to time and be able to consider the other side of a debate. I often post on a forum that has a high number of SJW types and as you can imagine often come in for some flack and downright abuse from them. But I accept that sometimes in a debate you get idiots who start name calling. You just don't take the bait and engage with those who offer more reasoned arguements.

So if you enter into the world of politics, firstly you should be fully prepared to accept that you are now much more in the public eye and secondly, you should be prepared to be challenged on your views, that is one of the fundamental things that MPs should be doing - debating the best way to run the country.