• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spygirl

Madonna @ 60

With Madonna it's more a case of who she has done.

Hell of a career for somebody with a weak voice; she and Cindy Lauper broke through at the same time and it seemed obvious that Cindy would be the big star with her amazing voice.

26 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

With Madonna it's more a case of who she has done.

Hell of a career for somebody with a weak voice; she and Cindy Lauper broke through at the same time and it seemed obvious that Cindy would be the big star with her amazing voice.

She had other vocal talents....

15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

:o

Crikey!

First time I've heard somebody say that about her; she's generally viewed as nudging towards national treasure status.

Any particular reason, or is that a joke?

No, not a joke - She appears to view the public as untouchable scum that should be kept at arms length, yet they gave her the £millions. Seems to surround herself with equally unpleasant people. I guess you have to witness her in action and not just listen to her screechings

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

:o

Crikey!

First time I've heard somebody say that about her; she's generally viewed as nudging towards national treasure status.

Any particular reason, or is that a joke?

When I worked in retail we used to get a reasonable amount of celebs in, most were tossers, the others tended not to want to be recognised and kept their head down. Kate Bush in fairness was one of the more famous, to the point she would phone up her order and then collect it round the back. Met her a few times and she seemed genuinely lovely.

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Anyway, back to Madonna,  I have examined the photo and as usual, unlike the face and boobs the hands don't lie.

Everything else is covered up.

Hands are always telling and have been with Madonna for a while, suprising as you'd have thought she wouldn't have to wash dishes

3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Anyway, back to Madonna,  I have examined the photo and as usual, unlike the face and boobs the hands don't lie.

Everything else is covered up.

And there is the fact that she has fallen; the photographer should be helping to pick her up rather than seeing it as a photo opportunity.

14 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

No, not a joke - She appears to view the public as untouchable scum that should be kept at arms length, yet they gave her the £millions. Seems to surround herself with equally unpleasant people. I guess you have to witness her in action and not just listen to her screechings

I understood her to be reclusive and introverted, hence the lack of touring and her absence from the gossip columns, being pictured in restaurants, nightclubs etc.  I don't blame her tbh, just because you're a singer songwriter doesn't mean that you have to be the life and soul of the party.

I however have not met her nor known anyone who has so this is all via the vector of the music press and newspapers who do tend to over-simplify people for their convenience.

13 minutes ago, gilf said:

When I worked in retail we used to get a reasonable amount of celebs in, most were tossers, the others tended not to want to be recognised and kept their head down. Kate Bush in fairness was one of the more famous, to the point she would phone up her order and then collect it round the back. Met her a few times and she seemed genuinely lovely.

That's the sort of thing I've read.  Nice but shy.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I understood her to be reclusive and introverted, hence the lack of touring and her absence from the gossip columns, being pictured in restaurants, nightclubs etc.  I don't blame her tbh, just because you're a singer songwriter doesn't mean that you have to be the life and soul of the party.

I however have not met her nor known anyone who has so this is all via the vector of the music press and newspapers who do tend to over-simplify people for their convenience.

TBF, it could be explained by shyness, but her actions are unfriendly. IMO you shouldn't expect to have a life funded by being in the public eye and then treat the public as a nasty inconvenience. The public is very useful when she needs to raise a bit of cash in old age and suddenly does a few concerts.

8 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

TBF, it could be explained by shyness, but her actions are unfriendly. IMO you shouldn't expect to have a life funded by being in the public eye and then treat the public as a nasty inconvenience. The public is very useful when she needs to raise a bit of cash in old age and suddenly does a few concerts.

Wouldn't agree personally, not in this case anyway. 

In fact if you contrast the two characters, Madonna and Kate Bush, one has courted publicity to the point of obsession, the other kept it very much at arms length. Nobody forced anybody to buy either persons records or attend a concert. 

She may be a completely horrible person, that wasn't my experience. I would slightly agree that if you court publicity then you can't expect people to then respect your privacy completely, in her case she certainly hasn't put her self out there, her actions point to her not wishing to have that sort of celebrity and so reasonable to respect that wish. 

11 minutes ago, gilf said:

Wouldn't agree personally, not in this case anyway. 

In fact if you contrast the two characters, Madonna and Kate Bush, one has courted publicity to the point of obsession, the other kept it very much at arms length. Nobody forced anybody to buy either persons records or attend a concert. 

She may be a completely horrible person, that wasn't my experience. I would slightly agree that if you court publicity then you can't expect people to then respect your privacy completely, in her case she certainly hasn't put her self out there, her actions point to her not wishing to have that sort of celebrity and so reasonable to respect that wish. 

I may be biased - imagine the situation where you buy a property with a public footpath to a local beauty spot and then overnight erect fences to exclude the public and privatise the beauty spot for your sole use - someone could get into quite a wrangle. The irony is that part of the solution could be to place  a signpost to the beauty spot so that it gets used more than ever, which could spoil it somewhat. You could argue that none of that needed to have happened.

53 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

And there is the fact that she has fallen; the photographer should be helping to pick her up rather than seeing it as a photo opportunity.

Mrs Ritchie knows help is coming thanks to her Madonnalert (TM) pendant - just push the red button and an army of sycophantic gay admirers will come to your sheltered accommodation to get you back on your feet. 

57 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Err shes a singer not a Love Island contestant....

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Err shes a singer not a Love Island contestant....

I wonder if she has ever sung for free

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Didn't Madonna do that exact thing? Sent the ramblers apeshit from what I remember.

I can't speak from experience but just on vibe alone, Madonna is one of those people I'd least want to be in the company of. Not that peons like me get to mix with such divine beings of course.

Possibly, from what I have seen, while some entertainers like the public's money they just don't like the public at any other time.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Amy Winehouse is a perfect example of someone who genuinely loved being a singer but didn't like or adapt well to being in the public eye. Just because you are a good singer and it makes you happy, doesn't mean you want to be famous or the trappings of fame. Some people just never adapt to it. RIP Amy.

Just now, Game_of_Homes said:

Amy Winehouse is a perfect example of someone who genuinely loved being a singer but didn't like or adapt well to being in the public eye. Just because you are a good singer and it makes you happy, doesn't mean you want to be famous or the trappings of fame. Some people just never adapt to it. RIP Amy.

Was it the 'public eye' or the money/lifestyle that she couldn't acclimate to/control? Genuine question. Didn't follow her.