• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

The dangers of carrying used McDonald’s wrappers in your van

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/16391111.man-fined-340-over-bag-of-lunch-rubbish/?ref=mr&lp=3

A man was fined £340 by a council for having the wrappers from his lunch in his van.

Waltham Forest Council now wants to take 43-year-old roof contractor Stewart Gosling to court over the issue.

Mr Gosling, from Cheshunt in Hertfordshire was visiting a family friend in Bury Road, Chingford, when he was pulled over by police and council officers.

They asked Mr Gosling if he held a waste licence for the area and he told them he did not.

Officers then fined him £340 on the spot when he says the only waste in the car at the time was a carrier bag of empty crisp packets and water bottles.

A council spokesperson said: “The waste in this case was being transported in commercial refuse bag in the trader’s vehicle. Regardless of what the items are, if waste is being stored in a commercial refuse bag in a trader’s van it is necessary that they have a valid waste carriers licence.

“It is widely recognised as best practice for tradesmen to be licensed to avoid legal repercussions, in the event they are required to transport even small quantities of waste.”

The councils appear to absolutely desperate for cash.  

There really should be a 'report councils abusing their monopoly by picking on normal people doing normal stuff' website.

18 minutes ago, dgul said:

The councils appear to absolutely desperate for cash.  

There really should be a 'report councils abusing their monopoly by picking on normal people doing normal stuff' website.

We hare never had traffic wardens in our village. Parking outside the shop, PO and Drs was time unlimited, people stay 20, 20, 30 40, 60 minutes, rarely any longer, it just works. We recently had a 30 minutes waiting sign installed. There was a village protest against it - to no avail. We now have a traffic warden patrol and people are getting fined for a ten minute overstay.

The article jumps from the crisp packets being stored in a carrier bag to being stored in a commercial refuse bag.  Is a commercial refuse bag a special refuse bag or a black bin liner bag or indeed a carrier bag or something else.

£340 on the spot  :o

It's a crazy world - them being so short staffed and underfunded how do they ever tear themselves away from their desks and the hate crime vigilance.

There must be more to the story - was he a returnee from Libya being monitored and they spotted the crisp packets or something.

Edited by twocents

17 minutes ago, twocents said:

The article jumps from the crisp packets being stored in a carrier bag to being stored in a commercial refuse bag.  Is a commercial refuse bag a special refuse bag or a black bin liner bag or indeed a carrier bag or something else.

£340 on the spot  :o

It's a crazy world - them being so short staffed and underfunded how do they ever tear themselves away from their desks and the hate crime vigilance.

There must be more to the story - was he a returnee from Libya being monitored and they spotted the crisp packets or something.

The moral of the story is clearly to fly tip your rubbish as soon as possible from your vehicle, preferably in your local councillors front garden.

I work in a local authority in law enforcement and it is that bad, everything is about maximising income, we have become completely self serving. I'm actively looking to get out, all the officers hate it and moral is at rock bottom.     

1 minute ago, Mr Miyagi said:

I work in a local authority in law enforcement and it is that bad, everything is about maximising income, we have become completely self serving. I'm actively looking to get out, all the officers hate it and moral is at rock bottom.     

Burn him. BURN HIM. BURN HIM 

xD

2 minutes ago, Mr Miyagi said:

Sounds like lots of places unfortunately >:(

Good look with your escape.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I re kon the vouncil havd info on him dumping.

Got to be more to the story than what is being told, not excepting the stupidity of pricing people into dumping rather than recycling.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I re kon the vouncil havd info on him dumping.

I was thinking the same (but in English:D)

But it shouldn't distract from the fact that councils are desperate for money to keep their DB pensions alive. They will rinse every one of us working people for every last penny that we have..

57 minutes ago, Mr Miyagi said:

Might as well relate this here. We recently had residents parking spaces installed in our street. The council, in their wisdom, did not bother to contact the residents. So, being the residents, we started to use them in anticipation of receiving some correspondence. We did, sort of - everybody in the street was ticketed.

Apparently you are just supposed to "know" to apply for a permit....

55 minutes ago, eight said:

Might as well relate this here. We recently had residents parking spaces installed in our street. The council, in their wisdom, did not bother to contact the residents. So, being the residents, we started to use them in anticipation of receiving some correspondence. We did, sort of - everybody in the street was ticketed.

Yes, i have a permit to park on your street, and i live in china.

see that blue mazda with no wheels, thats mine that is.

Edited by leonardratso

13 hours ago, Mr Miyagi said:

"law"?

Lets wait until we can get a sane rational handle on it, so off the daily mail immediately, straight to the comments.

Densmode, chelmsford, 2 hours ago

Has the world gone mad,this man should be commended for keeping his rubbish neatly contained in a bag ready for disposal and not doing what a lot of motorists do,chucking it out on the road.Are we now not allowed to have a bag or bin in our vehicle to keep the cab tidy.

There you go, britain has spoken, hang the bastard. errmmm no sorry, give him a medal.

I find it alarming that the council and police stopped and searched him in the first place, for what reason?

he may have been a known flytipper, but I still think he shouldn't be stopped without reason.

Edited by snaga

15 hours ago, eight said:

You are supposed to know, but because they have told you. 

Idiots, I presume you lot are all contesting the tickets?