• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

Tajikistan attack: Four cyclists mown down are identified

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45026752

Authorities have identified four cyclists who were killed while riding in Tajikistan in an attack that has been claimed by the IS terror group.

The victims had all kept online blogs documenting their intercontinental bike journeys.

A couple from Washington DC who quit their jobs to cycle and had already toured three continents were among those killed in Sunday's attack.

The other two were a Swiss citizen and a Dutch national.

American couple Lauren Geoghegan and Jay Austin, both 29, had been travelling for over a year.

Image copyrightSIMPLY CYCLINGLauren Geoghegan (R) and Jay Austin
Image captionLauren Geoghegan (R) and Jay Austin

In April, Mr Austin wrote during a bike tour of Morocco : "Badness exists, sure, but even that's quite rare. 

"By and large, humans are kind. Self-interested sometimes, myopic sometimes, but kind. 

"Generous and wonderful and kind. No greater revelation has come from our journey than this."

The pair had cycled through Africa and Europe before flying to Kazakhstan in May.

Image copyrightSIMPLYCYCLINGAustin making pancakes
Image captionMr Austin had quit his job with the US government to begin his bike tour

The reason for this low-budget journey was simple, Mr Austin wrote.

"Life is short and the world is big and we want to make the most out of our youth and good health before they're gone."

Ms Geoghegan's parents released a statement praising their daughter's "enthusiastic embrace of life's opportunities, her openness to new people and places, and her quest for a better understanding of the world".

On Sunday they were killed when a car drove into a group of seven foreign cyclists outside the Tajik capital, Dushanbe.

Image copyrightSIMPLYCYCLINGThe Americans posted a photo of their camping spot in Kyrgyzstan
Image captionThe Americans posted this photo of their camping spot in Kyrgyzstan

Three other cyclists were injured by the attackers, who jumped from the car and stabbed the cyclists with knives after the crash.

On Monday, the so-called Islamic State group released a video purporting to show the attackers pledging allegiance to the group's leader.

Edited by WorkingPoor

How much does the So-Called BBC want to downplay this?

"Mown down" indeed; they were murdered by sunni muslim terrorists who also tried to murder the others:

Three other cyclists were injured by the attackers, who jumped from the car and stabbed the cyclists with knives after the crash.

8 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45026752

Authorities have identified four cyclists who were killed while riding in Tajikistan in an attack that has been claimed by the IS terror group.

The victims had all kept online blogs documenting their intercontinental bike journeys.

A couple from Washington DC who quit their jobs to cycle and had already toured three continents were among those killed in Sunday's attack.

The other two were a Swiss citizen and a Dutch national.

American couple Lauren Geoghegan and Jay Austin, both 29, had been travelling for over a year.

Image copyrightSIMPLY CYCLINGLauren Geoghegan (R) and Jay Austin

Image captionLauren Geoghegan (R) and Jay Austin

In April, Mr Austin wrote during a bike tour of Morocco : "Badness exists, sure, but even that's quite rare. 

"By and large, humans are kind. Self-interested sometimes, myopic sometimes, but kind. 

"Generous and wonderful and kind. No greater revelation has come from our journey than this."

The pair had cycled through Africa and Europe before flying to Kazakhstan in May.

Image copyrightSIMPLYCYCLINGAustin making pancakes

Image captionMr Austin had quit his job with the US government to begin his bike tour

The reason for this low-budget journey was simple, Mr Austin wrote.

"Life is short and the world is big and we want to make the most out of our youth and good health before they're gone."

Ms Geoghegan's parents released a statement praising their daughter's "enthusiastic embrace of life's opportunities, her openness to new people and places, and her quest for a better understanding of the world".

On Sunday they were killed when a car drove into a group of seven foreign cyclists outside the Tajik capital, Dushanbe.

Image copyrightSIMPLYCYCLINGThe Americans posted a photo of their camping spot in Kyrgyzstan

Image captionThe Americans posted this photo of their camping spot in Kyrgyzstan

On Monday, the so-called Islamic State group released a video purporting to show the attackers pledging allegiance to the group's leader.

This is terribly sad but looking at their pictures they look very naive and trusting.

18 minutes ago, Anglepoise said:

Shit, my sister's planning some sort of trip through this region, going along the old Silk Road from China to Turkey. Is this another place to avoid now?

These current times, I would advise to avoid going beyond your own front door

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

What is sad is that there are parts of the world where even the suspicious, cautious and worldly wise are still at risk from religious zealots.

Only a warrior should tread those routes, like a ronin samurai. 

Just now, M S E Refugee said:

As a general rule of thumb I would avoid any country with "Stan" in its name.

I've worked in several "Stans" (Kazakh, Usbeki, and Paki) and always found the average person to be very friendly, helpful and pleasant, as for danger, I've been threatened with a  gun twice in my life, both times in Salford....

Just now, Option5 said:

I've worked in several "Stans" (Kazakh, Usbeki, and Paki) and always found the average person to be very friendly, helpful and pleasant, as for danger, I've been threatened with a  gun twice in my life, both times in Salford....

I'm sure that they are, as with the beach attack in Tunisia where most people in the resort wished the tourists to keep coming so they could continue in their jobs, however their police and security forces are pathetic so the significant minority that are islamists can literally get away with murder.

21 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Totally agree. I’ve worked and traveled in all those places and in a few more stans including Tajikistan. At an individual/family level, the hospitality is unbelievable and humbling, but get on the wrong side of a mob, the outcome is indistinguishable from a salford stab squad trying to earn their colours in front of the gang.

Collectively, humans can be a bunch of cunts against those not considered part of the tribe.

33 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Kazakhs are far from friendly imho. 

Here's what the very good people of  UK Cycling  (formerly CTC) are saying on their forum, which includes "delete this"; "could have happened anywhere"; lots of thoughtful offers of condolences to the family (which the family will never read or receive); and "Thats just how things may be."

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=123857 

In general, I  stopped browsing that site some years ago because the views of the majority became so misaligned with mine.

Edited by Bod

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

Taxi drivers and drunks I agree, but we avoid them here as well, the rest were fine with me.

But they drink vodka like water, alcoholism is rampant.

When I saw this reported my first thought was an islamic terror attack on Westerners. Hate to have my fears confirmed.

I noticed that their were using all black gear from what I could see - black bikes, black panniers. The theory being that when you travel to Third World countries you try to blend in as much as possible - so bright panniers, bright lycra is a no non. Problem is, in those parts of the world strangers to an area stand out like a sore thumb. People always watching their territory. Looking for opportunities. People talk.

2 minutes ago, Option5 said:

And age badly and die young.....

My view is if you get on with them you can trust them 99% and theyll look out for you, but they're far from friendly.

Whereas you go to a country like Thailand they are very warm and friendly but you can never trust these people at all.

Edited by Banned

27 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

A friend of mine is getting ready to do a cycle race around this area imminently, as it happens. It's called the 'Silk Road' race and sounds absolutely mental to me though he's about as hardcore a cyclist as they come. 

I'll have to ask him what he thinks...

If he's a hard core risk taker it won't put him off; but that won't make him any less likely to be killed.

You can walk the Darien Gap and come out with no more than a mosquito bite or be shot out of hand by drug smugglers.

It's all luck of the draw.

I wouldn't do either as I think I have a sensible appraisal of risk.  I would have no issue walking around Istanbul, and did so a couple of years ago, but I wouldn't wander around Kabul.

'mown down' says the lamestream media - as mentioned upthread, they were targeted and killed by muslim terrorists, due solely to their identity. Westerners.  They were deliberately ran over and then attacked with knives ffs.

I'd not heard of this story at all reported...

2 hours ago, Option5 said:

I've worked in several "Stans" (Kazakh, Usbeki, and Paki) and always found the average person to be very friendly, helpful and pleasant

As a woman there is no chance I would visit any majority muslim country.

Those poor sods were naive.