• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Libspero

BBC being crap again..

Perhaps a slightly unfair title,  but what a wasted opportunity to have a proper debate.

They got Jordan Peterson on to talk about the subject of offence taking,  pitched him against two other speakers then barely allowed him to speak.

The most frustrating thing was Jordan, in his usual style, was non-aggressive and rational..  the other interviewees talked in vague and abstract terms but the host never picked them up on it or even attempted to draw the conversation into any depth at all. 

After this completely non-scientific debate the host seemed to think he could summarise that they had put the world to rights.  What a complete waste of Jordan’s (and their listeners) time.  

They should be embarrassed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bclhh2#play

I accidentally listened to that as I was driving to my meeting yesterday (as I mentioned on the other thread I now default to classic FM, R4 has lost me, but I flicked over to avoid something not to my taste and stumbled upon). Jordan was truly excellent when he got a word in (sometimes a word was all it took). The others, including the So-Called BBC presenter, all sounded like some sort of parodies with the sort of maturity of arguments I'd expect from teenagers.

a particular gem was when one of them was going on about white males being privileged and Jordon managed to get something like "some white males" inserted into the wall of verbiage.

33 minutes ago, Melchett said:

I accidentally listened to that as I was driving to my meeting yesterday (as I mentioned on the other thread I now default to classic FM, R4 has lost me, but I flicked over to avoid something not to my taste and stumbled upon). Jordan was truly excellent when he got a word in (sometimes a word was all it took). The others, including the So-Called BBC presenter, all sounded like some sort of parodies with the sort of maturity of arguments I'd expect from teenagers.

a particular gem was when one of them was going on about white males being privileged and Jordon managed to get something like "some white males" inserted into the wall of verbiage.

Radio 4 flagship today program has lost nearlya million listeners so the trend is simply that people are turning off.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/2018/aug/02/bbcs-today-programme-sheds-800000-listeners

How much longer can the So-Called BBC justify its license fee when it is not even an effective propaganda machine.

Edited by Virgil Caine

33 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Ironical given that the BBCs Panorama program this week was about male life expectancy in parts of Stockton on Tees being lower than in much of Africa.

Evan Davis introduced Jordan Peterson with a snide insult. "he's something of a cultural phenomenon at the moment um rather a marmite one to say the least."

His allegiances were made clear from the very start.

I have started to find Radio 4 almost impossible to listen to recently: I'm way to the left of many DOSBODERS but the relentless diversity agenda which R4 rams down our throats is ruining their output.

Edited by InLikeFlynn

15 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Radio 4 flagship today program has lost nearlya million listeners so the trend is simply that people are turning off.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/2018/aug/02/bbcs-today-programme-sheds-800000-listeners

How much longer can the So-Called BBC justify its license fee when it is not even an effective propaganda machine.

When I drive into work, I have 4 choices.

Wave FM - I can generally predict that they will play music that I may want to listen to.

Classic FM - If I need something to relax to particularly if I  am up really early on the road.

Radio 4 or 909 - Generally news on the hour - but can expect something about identity politics and privilege in between. I switch over as soon as that starts. This appears to be the new boom area for media these days.

Edited by 201p

10 minutes ago, 201p said:

When I drive into work, I have 4 choices.

Wave FM - I can generally predict that they will play music that I may want to listen to.

Classic FM - If I need something to relax to particularly if I  am up really early on the road.

Radio 4 or 909 - Generally news on the hour - but can expect something about identity politics and privilege in between. I switch over as soon as that starts. This appears to be the new boom area for media these days.

<pedant>

You have four options.

</pedant>

26 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Alarm is set to the R4 Farming programme at 05.45 (if Im unlucky and R4s timing is a bit out I catch the end of Prayer for the day) and I then used to listen to the next 3 hours of the Today porgramme as my day got underway. It's been like that for more than 3 decades whenever I'm at home.

About two months ago I started switching off at 06.30 which is when Today now seems to change from sense to nonsense.

If you don't mind the adverts I find GOLD FM to be the best of the lot right now. Oldies and rock & roll of yesteryear.

The presenters are almost not there, eg I couldn't tell you their names or anything about them.

DAB was supposed to open up variety in programming, it hasn't, just ended up with a few major broadcast networks and a lot of "localised" sub content. Breaks in reception make the system almost unusable in many of the areas where I drive. With the possibility of nano satellite based cheap services and other services coming in piggybacking off 5G might get some true variety, if not going to have to find a solution for dropping podcasts onto dedicated player or phone. 

I used to listen to R4 loads when driving about in my van. Between brexit and 'diversity' it's made itself virtually unlistenable to anyone other than a staunch yoghurt-weaving, arch-feminist remainer. 

It's almost become a parody of itself. Women's Hour is appalling, how they get away with some of the bollocks spouted on that program is beyond me. I did consider sending them an email suggesting that they change the name of the program to: 'Men? What Utter Cunts'. But I suspect I wouldn't have got a response.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

11 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Classic FM for me the other half has recently started listening to LBC in the mornings.

Todays listening figures are dire apparently.

LBC. For me too but not thick farrari or James o’braindead. 

2 hours ago, Melchett said:

I enjoyed the bit just after that where the same lady (after tying herself in knots) said..   "look,   we're talking about identity politics"  to which Jordan just slipped in "we certainly are" in a tone of someone simultaneously bored and frustrated.

The main thing the interview showed was how poor the level of debate is from the proponents of these modern political fads.   To be honest,  Jordan barely had to speak..  at some points they managed to contradict and confuse themselves without him saying a word.

29 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

It's almost become a parody of itself. Women's Hour is appalling, how they get away with some of the bollocks spouted on that program is beyond me. I did consider sending them an email suggesting that they change the name of the program to: 'Men? What Utter Cunts'. But I suspect I wouldn't have got a response.

I don't think we are their target audience....

The latest diversity rightthink garbage "Just a girl" is an achingly shite drama about the trials of being a trans teenager. I surprise myself at how fast I can sprint to turn off the radio when it comes on.  The best thing that can be said for it is that it is only15 minutes long

I can't believe any of you are still listening to anything from the mainstream. I listen to Youtubers by ripping their vids to mp3 or some of them now upload to podcast sites for free. As I'm into movies and stuff I'll listen to podcasts from the likes of WorldClassBullshitters and Midnight's Edge where they mock and take the piss out of all the Marxist shit that has infested Hollywood. You're not listening to the MSM narrative - you're listening to the actual fans and what they think. A joy to behold and considerably funnier than any modern comedian too.

No wonder they hate alt-tech. In a true free market the MSM could never compete.

24 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I can't believe any of you are still listening to anything from the mainstream. I listen to Youtubers by ripping their vids to mp3 or some of them now upload to podcast sites for free. As I'm into movies and stuff I'll listen to podcasts from the likes of WorldClassBullshitters and Midnight's Edge where they mock and take the piss out of all the Marxist shit that has infested Hollywood. You're not listening to the MSM narrative - you're listening to the actual fans and what they think. A joy to behold and considerably funnier than any modern comedian too.

No wonder they hate alt-tech. In a true free market the MSM could never compete.

It is the convenience factor, if only there were a utility / app that could automatically amalgamate multiple sources and rip then to a portable device / phone - Youtube subs lists, podcasts, RSS tagged audio feeds, think it would be a killer product and transform the alt media media too, most YT vids I just listen to anyway.

2 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Alarm is set to the R4 Farming programme at 05.45

Farming Today is genuinely enlightening and almost the only thing I could ever listen to on R4 without vomiting. Strangely, it seems to have an all-female line up of presenters which must be down to some positive discrimination, but no-one ever comments on it. 

Edited by Bod

10 minutes ago, Bod said:

Farming Today is genuinely enlightening and almost the only thing I'd ever listen to on R4 without vomiting. Strangely, it seems to have an all-female line up of presenters which must be down to some positive discrimination, but no-one ever comments on it. 

Yes, it is usually good journalism. And yes, All female presenters I think, but not 'in your face'. I do miss "On your farm" The Sunday breakfast with people munching on sausages. It was a good format. Interestingly, a format recently copied by Becky Milligan with her "At lunch with" series, which was good listening. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03m98pq.

I used to listen to the Archers, but that lost all sight of any sense going completely PC with a succession of ridiculous stories to micic life in the whole of Britain in a single village, the only thing they haven't had is a terror attack. So I never listen to that any more. The only progs on R4 I'd listen to now are "I'm sorry I havent a clue" (not as good since Humph died) and "Just a Minute", but they have lost me for those as well as you need to be a regular listener to know when the shows are sequenced, and I can't abide the rest of the 6.30 slot anymore so have switched off that completely. As I don't have a TV and rarely communicate with the GF xD, silence has descended on the household. I tried LBC on DAB, but then hit upon that presenter that could give Owen Jones a run for his money, and so switched off from that too.

Edited by Hopeful

5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

the only thing they haven't had is a terror attack

Didn't they have a Lockerbie-style incident, once?

George Galloway on TalkRadio (DAB, Fridays 19-22:00) does some decent muck-raking and big-picture analysis of what's really going on.

6 minutes ago, Bod said:

Didn't they have a Lockerbie-style incident, once?

George Galloway on TalkRadio (DAB, Fridays 19-22:00) does some decent muck-raking and big-picture analysis of what's really going on.

They have had a few disasters

2 hours ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I occasionally dabble with BBC to feel smug and happy about myself, but yes I mostly cannot be arsed to look at the thing where with you tube it gets problematic watching it until 3 in the morning because its just more entertaining. 

It's not even that it's because I don't agree with their opinion. It's just that they are boring as fuck and not even challenging despite all the plummy accents and pseudo intellect shite they try to talk. It's actually embarrassing to hear them as the So-Called BBC is supposed to be a national Instituation that's supposed to be good at that. 

Now I think JP is fantastic, interesting, talks common sense etc. I'm no genius but think Jp is one. But maybe he's not. He just comes across as one because the people interviewing him are morons. Che k this guy. Plummy intellectual sounding, held academic positions. Come on. It's embarrassing, the guys a moron. Can't even understand what JPs saying let alone challenge him. And JP needs challenging. He'd say as much himself. 

The next one's a bit older. It's probably on here on some other thread. But if you missed it and want to feel good about yourself have a listen. It's basically posh educated sounding people being really thick. How Jp doesn't lose his shit and walk out on these mongs I have no idea. 

It's a while since I listened and am paraphrasing somewhat but contains such jems as. 

Posh plummy host. : so you're saying order is masculine then

JP. : yes symbolically order is masculine. Negatively it manifests itself as the tyrannical patriarch. 

Host.: Ah ha. I thought you didn't believe the patriarchy didn't exist.