• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Won't know what they voted for - again

Just heard some Labour type on one of the news channels use the "If people vote for May they won't know what they have voted for. People are oting against Corbyn.".

So they are already starting to use the electorate are idiots excuse just as they did wiith the BREXIT vote.

23 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Just heard some Labour type on one of the news channels use the "If people vote for May they won't know what they have voted for. People are oting against Corbyn.".

The life long  Labour voters preparing to vote Tory this time round believe that they are voting for Brexit. The Tory manifesto promises may be just enough to deliver a knockout punch to Labour opposition for the next parliament and possibly beyond. 

What the Tories deliver once in power is anyone's guess.

Well I'm voting Conservative this time purely because I want them, and particularly David Davis, having the strongest possible hand in the Brexit negotiations.

Beyond that though no I don't really know nor particularly care because get those negotiations right and we're on a winner; get them wrong and we're fecked.

Everything else is noise.  Winter fuel payment I ask you who really gives a stuff?

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well I'm voting Conservative this time purely because I want them, and particularly David Davis, having the strongest possible hand in the Brexit negotiations.

Beyond that though no I don't really know nor particularly care because get those negotiations right and we're on a winner; get them wrong and we're fecked.

Everything else is noise.  Winter fuel payment I ask you who really gives a stuff?

Indeed, while I've no doubt a large number of the electorate are thick as two short planks plenty are not. 

Half the people in this country wanted brexit, they want it delivered with the best possible outcome for the UK and they simply don't trust Labour (or more accurately Corbyn) to get it done. Labour can't even organise a piss up in a brewery at the moment. 

Isn't that the way politics always works?  You vote for the lizard you dislike least.

Do politicians really think that people vote for the party they like?  

37 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

So they are already starting to use the electorate are idiots excuse just as they did wiith the BREXIT vote.

Come the morning after the election I think we will see the full extent of this sort of behaviour. 

Genuinely think Labour are going to get slaughtered. 

I heard someone on the radio the other day saying that recent elections have shown that people don't vote for a party anymore but are instead more driven by their views on specific issues.

Makes me wonder if in the not too distant future they will give up this charade of different parties and instead just go straight for a good old fashioned dictatorship. Won't be too hard to push through if you can convince people that the "single party" is made up of representatives from all backgrounds, and that you still get to vote on the important issues, which will gradually be watered down to nothing more than who wins the X Factor.

5 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I heard someone on the radio the other day saying that recent elections have shown that people don't vote for a party anymore but are instead more driven by their views on specific issues.

Isn't that a good thing though?  It means people are thinking for themselves.

I am always annoyed by people who view supporting "their" political party as being like supporting their football team.  Their parents supported so they do as well and boo hiss to the evil enemy party.  They usually have no better rationale for it than, if Conservative or Labour, that the other is out to "get" them / their class and if Liberal that they are somehow nicer and more intelligent than everyone else.

These days, though I can't claim that it has always been the case, I support political ideas and vote upon those and particular issues.  I see LibLabCon as all just arms of one big establishment party working to a globalist / world government agenda with which I strongly disagree so generally avoid voting for any of them.  This time is an exception purely because of the Brexit negotiations. 

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Isn't that a good thing though?  It means people are thinking for themselves.

I am always annoyed by people who view supporting "their" political party as being like supporting their football team.  Their parents supported so they do as well and boo hiss to the evil enemy party.  They usually have no better rationale for it than, if Conservative or Labour, that the other is out to "get" them / their class and if Liberal that they are somehow nicer and more intelligent than everyone else.

These days, though I can't claim that it has always been the case, I support political ideas and vote upon those and particular issues.  I see LibLabCon as all just arms of one big establishment party working to a globalist / world government agenda with which I strongly disagree so generally avoid voting for any of them.  This time is an exception purely because of the Brexit negotiations. 

I totally agree that it's good people are concerning themselves with actual issues rather than what colour rosette someone is wearing. But I'm cynical enough to see tptb using that as an excuse to gradually curtail democracy under the pretence of evolution.

TBH, I'm just being a miserable git poking holes rather than offering solutions. I don't have any solutions to offer because I can't think of any, which is largely why I don't bother voting. So in response to TMTs original post, after the election I will end up not knowing what I didn't vote for. Or something like that.

The problem for Labour is that Thatcher and the 80s don't mean anything as it is distant history and many people aren't around from that era or were very young at that time.

The working class are much more aspirational than their Parents or Grandparents so I believe the Tories are more appealing to the working class.

Labour only appeal to people that want free stuff,but unfortunately for Labour those type of people are too lazy to vote.

My Union rep is completely discombobulated by how many of his members are going to vote Conservative.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

In the grand scheme of things your vote mans fuck-all so why get hung up about it.

Have a good guilt free, conscience clear one and keep the mental health issues at bay.

As I usually avoid the LibLabCon and vote for minority parties or independents I can often recognise my vote as being one of the dozen or so like-minded souls against those candidates.

I actually think that by giving them ten votes rather than nine, say, and bringing them into double figures it encourages them to stand again and make more of an effort next time.

The wasted vote mantra is the one peddled successfully for years by LibLabCon until UKIP came along and busted it; showing that a substantial vote for a UKIP candidate even if they have no hope of actually winning was enough to push Cameron into promising a referendum in order to grab some of those votes.

I don't remember every vote I've cast but I remember this one.  Without me Jerry would only have had 72 votes!

nothing.gif
1997 General Election
nothing.gif nothing.gif nothing.gif
dark_purp_pixel.gif   nothing.gif
 Cities of London & Westminster
dark_purp_pixel.gif
nothing.gif nothing.gif
pid1_icon.gif Conservative hold
nothing.gif nothing.gif nothing.gif nothing.gif nothing.gif nothing.gif
nothing.gif Name Party Votes % nothing.gif
nothing.gif Peter Brooke Conservative 18,981 47.3 nothing.gif
nothing.gif Kate Green Labour 14,100 35.1 nothing.gif
nothing.gif Michael Dumigan Liberal Democrat 4,933 12.3 nothing.gif
nothing.gif Alan Walters Referendum 1,161 2.9 nothing.gif
nothing.gif Patricia Wharton Independent 266 0.7 nothing.gif
nothing.gif Colin Merton UK Independence 215 0.5 nothing.gif
nothing.gif Richard Johnson Natural Law 176 0.4 nothing.gif
nothing.gif Nicholas Walsh Loony 138 0.3 nothing.gif
nothing.gif Gordon Webster Independent 112 0.3 nothing.gif
nothing.gif Jerry Sadowitz Rainbow 73 0.2 nothing.gif

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Well it`s a bit rich coming from labour when the have relied on the exact same for their votes for decades ,have they actually worked out those people have awoken from their slumber

24 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Well it`s a bit rich coming from labour when the have relied on the exact same for their votes for decades ,have they actually worked out those people have awoken from their slumber

I agree, they have taken the piss with their core electorate for too long. The we-know-best upper level Labour people have nothing but contempt for most of their voters who are now repaying them by leaving the party. I am amazed the rout in support took this long though, it was obvious under Bliar and got worse ever since. They were once supposed to be the party of the manual worker but happily gutted the industrial base to make way for their green knowledged based economy.

1 hour ago, Oskar said:

I agree, they have taken the piss with their core electorate for too long. The we-know-best upper level Labour people have nothing but contempt for most of their voters who are now repaying them by leaving the party. I am amazed the rout in support took this long though, it was obvious under Bliar and got worse ever since. They were once supposed to be the party of the manual worker but happily gutted the industrial base to make way for their green knowledged based economy.

Yep that`s spot on ,the part i find hard to believe ...is the fact they can not see it for themselves FFS the Tories worked it out within a week of the referendum 

Even Tintin worked it out but opted for the title of the slops boy

Not just the labour party but their core funder too - the unions, what exactly do they stand for now? Only to happy to drum up their support base via migrant labour - much the same as the labour party were keen to via immigration - complete sellouts.

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Not just the labour party but their core funder too - the unions, what exactly do they stand for now? Only to happy to drum up their support base via migrant labour - much the same as the labour party were keen to via immigration - complete sellouts.

I stopped paying for their beer over a decade ago ...toothless freeloading fuckwits 

19 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Yep that`s spot on ,the part i find hard to believe ...is the fact they can not see it for themselves FFS the Tories worked it out within a week of the referendum 

Even Tintin worked it out but opted for the title of the slops boy

They are always right in their own minds which is why they react so fiercely to anyone with a different view.

Having looked at the candidates standing in my constituency I have  the choice between:

Conservative - Minister for Brexit

Labour - no idea

Green - no idea

Lib Dems - no idea

Yorkshire party - former Lib Dem MEP for Yorkshire and former Vice President of the European Parliament  

Decisions, decisions. 

Edited by The Generation Game

1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

Having looked at the candidates standing in my constituency I have  the choice between:

Conservative - Minister for Brexit

Labour - no idea

Green - no idea

Lib Dems - no idea

Yorkshire party - former Lib Dem MEP for Yorkshire and former Vice President of the European Parliament  

Decisions, decisions. 

Interesting one in mine, no UKIP candidate this time round (they are only contesting 300 odd seats this time as opposed to almost all of them last time out). 

UKIP got 15% of the vote last time, the difference between Conservative and Labour is 4% and I've little doubt a large share of that UKIP vote came from the Conservatives originally. 

It was traditionally a Conservative seat but switch to Labour in the Blair years, will be an interesting one. 

6 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

Labour only appeal to people that want free stuff,but unfortunately for Labour those type of people are too lazy to vote.

My c*** of a labour MP has across the board voted to raise every benefit and voted against any rise in the income tax personal allowance. Earning £14k and wake up at 6am every day? F*** you. People are waking up that labour aren't the party of the aspirational working class but the party of gimmigrants, pro single mums and scammers swinging the lead on disability.

7 hours ago, gilf said:

Come the morning after the election I think we will see the full extent of this sort of behaviour. 

Genuinely think Labour are going to get slaughtered. 

Yep, they really are patronising shites