• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Plastic cabbage: the solution to brexit?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6023299/Shopper-sets-FIRE-cabbage-believing-contain-plastic.html

Customers across Britain are complaining about their ‘suspicious’ cabbages – with one woman going as far as setting hers on fire to prove there’s something wrong with it.

Although it seems unlikely, Tina Demille even suggests her Tesco cabbage could be made of plastic or coated in plastic after noting the strange smell it produced after being set on fire.

Mrs DeMille, 52, said she was suspicious of the fresh Redmere Farms cabbage she bought from a Tesco supermarket because she noticed it was 'rock hard' and looked 'not real' when she began cutting it.

She may have a point.

I’ve grown various veg for over 30 years.

When I pick too much for the evening meal and put surplus in the fridge I’ve noticed that the next day it’s a bit limp looking and not looking it’s best. In contrast veg on display in supermarkets usually look pristine. No way it has been picked the day before!

I’m convinced that our veg and fruit is sprayed with stuff or whatever to keep it looking fresh for consumers.

Just now, Van Lady said:

She may have a point.

I’ve grown various veg for over 30 years.

When I pick too much for the evening meal and put surplus in the fridge I’ve noticed that the next day it’s a bit limp looking and not looking it’s best. In contrast veg on display in supermarkets usually look pristine. No way it has been picked the day before!

I’m convinced that our veg and fruit is sprayed with stuff or whatever to keep it looking fresh for consumers.

Or it’s GM stuff? 

Just now, One percent said:

Or it’s GM stuff? 

I suppose that much of our produce is GM through seed breeding.

Many seeds that are bought have the unfortunate property that the seed can’t be saved by individuals to grow their next crop!

I’ve long admired heritage seed suppliers.

Hi!

Tim Peake here, your local British Astronaut!

Some of you may have heard of Astroturf, which was developed so that Cosmo-sunbathers could lie on the Moon and Cosmo-sunbathe!

Well now we have plastic sprouts! And plastic Space-Cress!

If you want to know more, you can find me at the local Lidl loitering by the Fruit and Veg!

I'm the one wearing the pointless NASA jump-suit!

Did I mention that I'm a Spacetronaut?

Love

Timmy XXX

PS Dr Brian Cox fucks pigs! I know more about space! I went there on holiday!

Edited by Happy Renting

Unfortunately most of the Plebs are too thick to do a little research.

Here we are, edipeel and invisipeel, two products that are sprayed on your fresh stuff from Tescos etc.

813696352_Screenshotfrom2018-08-0320-42-55.png.120422b712f75d798537a7e750fdc0e3.png

A Santa Barbara-based startup called Apeel Sciences says it has invented edible coatings that can extend a fruit or vegetable's shelf life by as much as five times. That means, if you spray it on a ripe strawberry that's starting to wither it will last about a week longer than normal. 

Edipeel keeps water from leaving and oxygen from entering produce, while Invisipeel is for keeping insects away (these are both processes that make produce decay). To get the benefits of both products, you need to apply both.

After the coatings dry, they act as shields to natural gases (e.g. oxygen and ethylene) that make produce decay. With the barrier, produce lasts up to five times longer than untreated produce.

The coatings are made from molecules of the discarded materials from organic produce — anything from pear stems to leftover grape skins from wine fermentation to grass clippings.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/apeel-sciences-food-edipeel-invisipeel-extend-life-2017-1

Whatever happened to investigative journalism, doesn't look very hard.

Edited by Chewing Grass
picture

These youngsters today know nothing about cabbages. When I was a kid I was expected to be able to hold half a dozen in my arms whilst answering general knowledge questions. Failure to do so could result in a visit to Uncle Jim.

2 minutes ago, 201p said:

Has anyone got a time capsule (Freezer) of a cabbage from 10 years ago.

There needs to be a frame of reference to prove/disprove this Facebook journalism.

It is EU invasion of the Brexit snatchers. Go to bed with a cabbage in your bedroom and the you who wakes up in the morning will be a fervent remoaner.

5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

These youngsters today know nothing about cabbages. When I was a kid I was expected to be able to hold half a dozen in my arms whilst answering general knowledge questions. Failure to do so could result in a visit to Uncle Jim.

Interesting fact: Eamonn Andrews and Peter Glaze were both dwarves.

The programme producers selected really tiny children to compete, and they were actually holding Brussels sprouts.

P.S. I'm old enough to remember when it started at 5.00pm, and not 4.55pm. The schedule change was the start of a long, slippery slope into oblivion.

37 minutes ago, One percent said:

Or it’s GM stuff? 

Yes, they no longer make cars, except courgette stingrays.

20 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Unfortunately most of the Plebs are too thick to do a little research.

Here we are, edipeel and invisipeel, two products that are sprayed on your fresh stuff from Tescos etc.

813696352_Screenshotfrom2018-08-0320-42-55.png.120422b712f75d798537a7e750fdc0e3.png

A Santa Barbara-based startup called Apeel Sciences says it has invented edible coatings that can extend a fruit or vegetable's shelf life by as much as five times. That means, if you spray it on a ripe strawberry that's starting to wither it will last about a week longer than normal. 

Edipeel keeps water from leaving and oxygen from entering produce, while Invisipeel is for keeping insects away (these are both processes that make produce decay). To get the benefits of both products, you need to apply both.

After the coatings dry, they act as shields to natural gases (e.g. oxygen and ethylene) that make produce decay. With the barrier, produce lasts up to five times longer than untreated produce.

The coatings are made from molecules of the discarded materials from organic produce — anything from pear stems to leftover grape skins from wine fermentation to grass clippings.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/apeel-sciences-food-edipeel-invisipeel-extend-life-2017-1

Whatever happened to investigative journalism, doesn't look very hard.

A rep is not enough 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Through being a long term veg grower I KNOW that what I grow and buy is vastly different!

7 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

i suspect the woman burning the cabbage, is herself a cabbage.

Or maybe she just “snapped” because of increasing difficulty living in the insanity of the modern word?

3 hours ago, Van Lady said:

I think some is waxed,  but others (like leafy veg) are just vacuum cooled to drive out moisture and extend the shelf life.