• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Finding Money on Street

It's these plastic notes.  I found one old fiver in about ten years but I've found two of the new ones in the last six months.

As they're shiny they work their way out of pockets in a way a paper (cloth) note never would; maybe it's a deliberate ploy by the BoE to encourage us to spend them before we lose them.

I once found a fairly large wad of cash on London's streets.   Proper 'fist sized' thing.  Trouble was, it was in some weird foreign currency and this was pre-internet.  I considered handing it in to a police station, but then they'd only have stolen it.  Anyway, I wandered around with it for a few days while I worked out what the hell I'd actually got.  Turned out to be some tinpot Asian state and it was worth slightly less than the cost to exchange it.  Still got it hanging around somewhere.

42 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I found a crisp £10 note on my way to the shops this morning. It looks mighty fine in my wallet.

Anyone else find anything?

Used to find notes all the time when I had a paper round as it went by two busy pubs. My pay was £14 a week and I would occasionally double that or more on the Saturday or Sunday round. I don't think I've come across money on the ground since then. There's been a couple of times where people have left money at the atm, however, I've always handed that back in at the bank.

Only last month I did manage to recover £338 from Canada Operations who took over the Egg credit card book. I was 100% certain I never had PPI on this credit card as it was taken out before PPI was a thing. Anyway, I got a spam email saying they could claim back PPI for Egg. I thought why the hell not, no harm in going to Canada Operations myself and asking if I did, in fact, have PPI. Took 5 minutes to fill out the form online to request my information. A week later I got a letter back saying I did indeed have PPI one of the card numbers. Subsequently, it was obvious they just tacked the thing on at some point during the time I held an account with them. So then I filled in another form and they wrote back four weeks later to say a cheque was in the post, with the money refunded plus 7% interest for my troubles, happy days :D

15 minutes ago, dgul said:

I once found a fairly large wad of cash on London's streets.   Proper 'fist sized' thing.  Trouble was, it was in some weird foreign currency and this was pre-internet.  I considered handing it in to a police station, but then they'd only have stolen it.  Anyway, I wandered around with it for a few days while I worked out what the hell I'd actually got.  Turned out to be some tinpot Asian state and it was worth slightly less than the cost to exchange it.  Still got it hanging around somewhere.

I had something similar with Greek drachma when I was a teenager. Thought I had found a few thousand, turned out to be no more than a tenner iirc xD

11 minutes ago, dgul said:

Vietnamese Dong?

Always reminds me of the old internet scam:

Send me $10 and I'll return you 100 in legal currency.

..which at today's exchange rate would be less than half a pennyworth of Dong.

Ive lost more plastic notes in a year, than previous years combined. Sure it is delibrate to make cash less desirable.

Dropped another note yesterday, only the missus spotted it this time.

1 minute ago, snaga said:

Ive lost more plastic notes in a year, than previous years combined. Sure it is delibrate to make cash less desirable.

Dropped another note yesterday, only the missus spotted it this time.

Where do you like to walk?  Asking for a friend....

A lot of people have mentioned finding them at work, my gardener said about his son finding a tenner.  I don't think that people have suddenly become less shy about mentioning finding notes; I think their slipperiness means that they're dropping out of pockets all over the place so anyone who carries their notes loose should get a wallet or purse.

I agree that part of the motivation on the part of the BoE may have indeed been to make notes less desirable and so help them in their long term aim of killing off cash. 

3 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Does anyone remember how grotty £1 and £5 notes used to get? The new plastic notes are sooooooo much better IMHO.

They get these awful permanent creases though.

I  think that was another deliberate strategy by the BoE to junk the pound note - leave them out in circulation longer so they became grottier until people are delighted to have them replaced by a shiny coin. 

My twenty pound notes, for example, are pretty much always in decent condition.

11 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Does anyone remember how grotty £1 and £5 notes used to get? The new plastic notes are sooooooo much better IMHO.

But you cant fold the new notes to turn the queens face in to an arse. 

I find loads of coppers outside the local shop near me. I reckon its all the wealthy Essex slappers ditching em after popping in to get their fags / Barcardi Breezers. 

We have been saving them in my sons piggy bank which the size of a pint glass and near full to the top - not bad goings in 7 months. 

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned the psychological feel good factor that comes from finding a five or a ten pound note. You might be carrying many multiples more in your wallet but that never catches a second thought whilst the warm glow of spotting a crisp note keeps you in a fine mood for weeks. A recent win (this year) was at my local supermarket self-checkout. Paid using contactless and mistakenly paused to take my change and  there was a shiny new plastic ten quid to collect. Result! 

4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I found a crisp £10 note on my way to the shops this morning. It looks mighty fine in my wallet.

Anyone else find anything?

Years ago whilst out on a boozy night out I found a wad of several hundred pounds in £20 notes on the pavement all bundled up.

3 hours ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Used to find notes all the time when I had a paper round as it went by two busy pubs. My pay was £14 a week and I would occasionally double that or more on the Saturday or Sunday round. I don't think I've come across money on the ground since then. There's been a couple of times where people have left money at the atm, however, I've always handed that back in at the bank.

Only last month I did manage to recover £338 from Canada Operations who took over the Egg credit card book. I was 100% certain I never had PPI on this credit card as it was taken out before PPI was a thing. Anyway, I got a spam email saying they could claim back PPI for Egg. I thought why the hell not, no harm in going to Canada Operations myself and asking if I did, in fact, have PPI. Took 5 minutes to fill out the form online to request my information. A week later I got a letter back saying I did indeed have PPI one of the card numbers. Subsequently, it was obvious they just tacked the thing on at some point during the time I held an account with them. So then I filled in another form and they wrote back four weeks later to say a cheque was in the post, with the money refunded plus 7% interest for my troubles, happy days :D

I contacted Barclays/Woolwich a while back to see, as I know I had some sort of PPI back in 2003 with my mortgage. The forms seemed lengthily asking loads of reasons why I felt I was miss sold etc. I couldn't be arsed. Was that the same in Eggs case?