• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

201p

Crimewave - 2018 the peak of Policing By Consent?

Add to the burglaries, ram raids on convenience stores (I've mentioned times on here), and the rise of Corsa Cannibals? I create a thread that the media does not want to do - Connecting the Dots!

What is the greater picture? What is the end game?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/16400097.rural-crime-across-hampshire-rises-by-50-per-cent-new-figures-show/

RURAL crime in Hampshire has leapt by almost 50 per cent as gangs of "brazen and determined" thieves target farms, shops and country homes.

Figures published today by the National Farmers' Union (NFU) show that countryside criminals cost the county more than £1 million last year - a jump of 48.8 per cent on the previous 12 months.

3 minutes ago, 201p said:

Add to the burglaries, ram raids on convenience stores (I've mentioned times on here), and the rise of Corsa Cannibals? I create a thread that the media does not want to do - Connecting the Dots!

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/16400097.rural-crime-across-hampshire-rises-by-50-per-cent-new-figures-show/

RURAL crime in Hampshire has leapt by almost 50 per cent as gangs of "brazen and determined" thieves target farms, shops and country homes.

Figures published today by the National Farmers' Union (NFU) show that countryside criminals cost the county more than £1 million last year - a jump of 48.8 per cent on the previous 12 months.

I have a particular concern about the rise of internet shopping and home deliveries.

At one time, the only visitor in rural areas was the postman, they were also good eyes and ears and they would notice anything unusual.

Now, we have a load of delivery companies and their drivers scooting about noticing when properties are vacant, what properties are isolated, what properties may contain. A lot more loose mouths.

On one hand, over many years in the UK, we have enjoyed the polite collaborative nature of policing by consent. Which works well if there are enough police and the populace are cooperative. 

But for whatever reason, police numbers have been reducing, and crimes appear to be increasing, and more brazen. This is entirely predictable, as word gets about. But nothing seems to be done about recruitment, and the focus seems to be on easier "internet" type crimes. For example internet trolls cannot now become elected people of public office.

'It's critical' - number of police officers in Hampshire on the decline (July 2018)
http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/16385197.its-critical-number-of-police-officers-in-hampshire-on-the-decline/

The next logical move, is authoritarian policing.

The petrol station in our village had the cashpoint stolen about two months ago.

Last week some thieves broke in and stole stacks of the valuable stuff.

Sometimes you read these things and think "that must be happening somewhere else" but this is a mile from where we live, in rural Hampshire.

11 minutes ago, 201p said:

On one hand, over many years in the UK, we have enjoyed the polite collaborative nature of policing by consent. Which works well if there are enough police and the populace are cooperative. 

But for whatever reason, police numbers have been reducing, and crimes appear to be increasing, and more brazen. This is entirely predictable, as word gets about. But nothing seems to be done about recruitment, and the focus seems to be on easier "internet" type crimes. For example internet trolls cannot now become elected people of public office.

'It's critical' - number of police officers in Hampshire on the decline (July 2018)
http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/16385197.its-critical-number-of-police-officers-in-hampshire-on-the-decline/

The next logical move, is authoritarian policing.

Well it's obviously deliberate.

You've got to manufacture a problem before anybody will support your "tough" solutions.

I'd guess that we're being softened up for a more "efficient" national police force. All under direct control of whatever nutjob is home secretary.

A politicised, centralised police force.

What could go wrong?

O.o

Edited by SpectrumFX

14 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Well it's obviously deliberate.

You've got to manufacture a problem before anybody will support your "tough" solutions.

I'd guess that we're being softened up for a more "efficient" national police force. All under direct control of whatever nutjob is home secretary.

A politicised, centralised police force.

What could go wrong?

O.o

I'm with you that this is deliberate.  There are huge swathes of the community who are given special status and protected - allowed to get away with appalling behaviour.  At the same time, the police force is being reduced and police stations shut.

I'm not convinced it is for the reasons you say though.  I think it is far more frightening that this.  Its about the destruction of the western world

I think it just boils down to money and votes and the loss of a moral compass by politicians.

Instead of seeing it as a duty to protect its citizens the government wants to spend the bare minimum with which it can get away upon policing and so is going to reduce it in those areas with fewer voters - rural ones.  This gives it more money to spend on buying votes - tax credits and benefits - in urban areas of high population.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I think it just boils down to money and votes and the loss of a moral compass by politicians.

Instead of seeing it as a duty to protect its citizens the government wants to spend the bare minimum with which it can get away upon policing and so is going to reduce it in those areas with fewer voters - rural ones.  This gives it more money to spend on buying votes - tax credits and benefits - in urban areas of high population.

But, there has also been a massive cull of police numbers in London.  Something like a third

42 minutes ago, 201p said:

I enjoy these big-picture debates. Here's my view for the moment.

Most people break the law in some way at some time. The detection of people who break the law has to be difficult for our own good. We could stop 100% of crime by radio-tagging everyone, installing cameras in everyone's homes and cars etc, electronic sensors everywhere, and having cash rewards for grassing up a friend or neighbour, but then we'd be living in something akin to the old DDR. So there has to be a balance between the level of detection and the level of crime. The ratio that people tolerate is actually quite low, given that juries have traditionally preferred ten guilty people to go free than have one innocent convicted.

By allowing crime levels to rise, and creating many new ones on the statute books,  an excuse is given to raise the sophistication and level of monitoring and detection. Notice how we have lots of cyber crime, thought crime, and speech crime being created that particularly gives an excuse for more Internet eavesdropping, and the public will acquiesce to it. Once the police have these abilities, they are never taken away or repealed.

I noticed in another thread the oath sworn by police mentioned keeping her Majesty's peace before that of preventing crime. This of course is becoming the #1 priority: gain powers to suppress the coming civil unrest. They thought this would come from public anger at banker bailouts  and austerity for the masses (Boris bought water cannon) but the public proved remarkably passive.  But we now have another threat to our way of life...

Edited by Bod

A very similar thing happened 40 years ago -- as they built the motorways there would be a spate of crimes at the end of the motorway.  This would eventually stop when the locals (at the end of the motorway) changed their behaviour to meet the new crime-risk environment.  Then the solution was locking doors and generally 'tying stuff down'.  

I'm not sure about this crime wave.  It is clearly due to changes, but which ones?  There's certainly a pile of people in the country that consider crime to be a reasonable way to make money so long as the risks are low enough.  And we have mucked up policing so the risks of getting caught are (IMO) lower than they used to be.  Beyond that, self-policing is harder than it was -- back in the olden days every farmer would have a shotgun and be prepared to use it when challenged, but even if they've still got them, we're all now scared of the legal consequences of wielding a pointed stick, let alone firearms.  There's also 'how do you get rid of it?' -- part of the problem is that the borders are now so poorly policed that people can take fairly large pieces of farming equipment overseas (where the route to eventual disposal is much easier).

Anyway, I'm not sure what the solution will be this time.  in the 70's crimewave it was adopting the 'security mindset' of the places the crims were coming from -- they came from cities so the solution was locks, just like in cities.  How do they stop rural crime in other places around the world like Nigeria or Vietnam?  I have a feeling it is through the threat of lethal force, which is something the police in the UK will actually chase up (even if they won't chase up a tractor theft).  Serious times.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

But, there has also been a massive cull of police numbers in London.  Something like a third

I think they've taken a decision that it's not a vote winner to police effectively so they (as in the current government but Labour as well) are cutting its resources.  Ditto the prison service.

They won't cut the NHS budget though because that will lose votes.

I think it's that cynical - the parties want power so will only spend on things that win them votes.

If everywhere starts descending into chaos through crime then it will rise to the top of the vote-winning agenda and then parties will start outbidding each other as to how much they spend on it; until that day the cuts continue.

This nightmare of a political landscape stems from the spin doctors and Blair with whom the Labour party made its Faustian pact of all that matters being getting into power.  The Conservatives copied them and then so did the Liberals with Clegg abandoning his tuition fees promise in return for power.

They are however still benefitting from the previous years when each party actually stood for something and had principles and a lot of voters still regard them in this way and think that's what they are getting.  We may see them as a globalist establishment LibLabCon alliance but most people haven't woken up to the fact that they have fundamentally changed and think that by voting for the party they did thirty years ago they are supporting the same causes.  They aren't.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think they've taken a decision that it's not a vote winner to police effectively so they (as in the current government but Labour as well) are cutting its resources.  Ditto the prison service.

They won't cut the NHS budget though because that will lose votes.

I think it's that cynical - the parties want power so will only spend on things that win them votes.

If everywhere starts descending into chaos through crime then it will rise to the top of the vote-winning agenda and then parties will start outbidding each other as to how much they spend on it; until that day the cuts continue.

This nightmare of a political landscape stems from the spin doctors and Blair with whom the Labour party made its Faustian pact of all that matters being getting into power.  The Conservatives copied them and then so did the Liberals with Clegg abandoning his tuition fees promise in return for power.

They are however still benefitting from the previous years when each party actually stood for something and had principles and a lot of voters still regard them in this way and think that's what they are getting.  We may see them as a globalist establishment LibLabCon alliance but most people haven't woken up to the fact that they have fundamentally changed and think that by voting for the party they did thirty years ago they are supporting the same causes.  They aren't.

Good post Frank and there is nothing there to argue with. I guess the only hope is that an alternative party rises from the chaos but I don't really see that happening in the short term. 

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

What next? Recruitment from abroad to bolster police numbers? Ii might be OK if they were police kicked out of S.A.

If police are aiming at the wrong targets, then bolstering numbers will make matters worse.

29 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think it boils down to that infamous Treasury note

handover_note_3269313b.jpg

And then, as you say, the use of what little there is for the ends you state.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

You didn't see the Balls in Trumpland last night?  It was a wonderful sight seeing him getting tazered  

I'll check it out.

I'd rather see the stupid cunt getting fisted, by a man, with hands like shovels.

The police station in our nearest town was closed, so Police would have to respond to reported incidents such as "there's a gang of people breaking into the petrol station" from further away. Assuming there's anyone actually available at the outpost in the next-nearest town.

I seem to recall the introduction of "community officers" during Labour's tenure. Whereby we have a sort of "second-rate work for next to nothing" public police force who aren't equipped to respond to certain incidents, it was more about finding a way to put the proverbial "bobbies on the beat" back on the street without really spending money.

Thinking of Brexit, we've simply recruited nurses and other low-wage staff from abroad. People could not possibly stand a hope in hell of a decent living here as the cost of living is so high. Not least due to the cost of housing.

I hear cries of "The NHS won't have any staff" - often from Leftists. Who might do well to think a little more about just why it is that we'd be in such a predicament and also why it is that we haven't recruited or trained the relevant people for these jobs ourselves. Something of a day of reckoning is coming as a perfect storm of things combine.

54 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

We will eventually be blessed with another level of policing i.e paramilitary police just like spain.

Already happening, existing police force will become the paramilitary in all but name, pcso will become local police force.

28 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They continue to put a tin eye to the telescope because the view would contradict their diversity ideology. Examine the composition of the UK prisons and compare it to the composition of the population as a whole to understand why. I think their ideology could be stronger than votes or democracy...they'd rather bandy together like they do now, or even prevent people from voting. Have you read about the council "blacklists" of awkward members of the public?