• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
ccc

UK - peak gym ?

Went for a wander yesterday and realised there are no less than 11 gym type places within about 300 m of my flat. 

Lots have popped up within the last year or so. 

I know there is a big push in the UK for this type of thing. It appears folk either go down the mega fat or mega fit route these days. However I don't see how the numbers are sustainable ? List below of the types. 

1 Thai boxing (I go here)

1 Spin cycle gym

1 Krav maga / kickboxing

1 Junior judo

2 Weightlifting / bodybuilding type gym 

1 Parkour training place

4 CrossFit type basic fit out of industrial estate unit type places.

It's the last group that appear to be exploding. I can see why. Very low set up costs. However there must be a limit to demand and they must require a decent number of people to survive ? 

Is similar happening elsewhere in the UK ? 

Setup costs and staff costs aren't that high for any of them. Pretty much automated and a guaranteed income due to being locked into a contract. Most of the explosion has been due to Instagram and social media I expect. 

Just now, spygirl said:

Tax credits.

Personal trainers, yoga people, park fitness etc etc etc etc

Wonder what the average number of hours a personal trainer works weekly. I'm going with 16 a week. 

Aye big jump here in Belfast too of both corporate gyms and smaller Crossfit-esque setups.

Seems every few months I see a new Facebook ad for a new self-styled personal trainer in the area.

Many of these folk are under 25 and as far as I can see aren't worth the money - there's a lot of hype and bullshit in the industry. Everyone has the great new exercise/methodology. But I see people who go to these places for months or years and there's no radical change in their appearance. And Crossfit is of course notorious for the injury rates.

Some of these PT's charge 50 quid an hour, and I can get a physiotherapist with decades of experience for about the same money. I tried both options and found the physio to be more useful.

I think these 24 hour gyms seem to be increasing too. 

There are quite a few new gyms around here too. There was a massive one that opened on the industrial estate here by a female body builder and some contacts the must have bank rolled it. It was 24 hours with every type of activity you can think of. It totally bombed and was gone within 6 months.

25 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Wonder what the average number of hours a personal trainer works weekly. I'm going with 16 a week. 

I've heard it can be difficult to build enough clients as a PT, but if you can grab lets say 10 clients seeing you at least once a week at 40/50 an hour you'll be doing very well indeed for not a lot of work. Especially if you've got a partner getting the free council house ect...and many PT's do seem to be moderatley chavvy sorts.

I spent several months shelling out 80 quid a week to see a PT a couple of times a week, and eventually realized that I was seeing no change at all in my appearance and no benefits that I couldn't get by just doing exercise myself at home and at my 25 quid a month gym. I was also being pushed to the point of injury a couple of times, and the PT himself had dealt with several serious injuries despite only being in his late 20's.

I think exercise is great, but I think a lot of the PT industry is a big scam. The PT I was seeing wanted to see me twice a week at considerable cost, yet I went to see a physiotherapist a few months back who came reccomended, and in one session he did a full analysis of my flexibility/strength (to a level of detail that the PT never did) and gave me stretches/exercises. He doesn't want to see me any more than once every 6 or 8 weeks, and we review what I've been doing and plan what I should do over the next couple of months. It costs a fraction of the price of a PT and I think it's more useful. 

Edited by JoeDavola

27 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I think these 24 hour gyms seem to be increasing too. 

There are quite a few new gyms around here too. There was a massive one that opened on the industrial estate here by a female body builder and some contacts the must have bank rolled it. It was 24 hours with every type of activity you can think of. It totally bombed and was gone within 6 months.

Loads of empty retail/commercial units.

Lots of startup funding.

Lots of tax credits.

Lots of people looking to do something for 16h/w.

Visited a town Id not been for ~10 years. Went to get cash. All 3 banks had closed. Theres 2 yoga studios, an extra 2 hairdressers and a tatooist now.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

There's a personal trainer in our gym who I see regularly. Never doing weights with clients.

He just stands next to the running machine whilst they have an expensive indoor run for an hour.

I go to the YMCA gym in winter. It's a small place that's got all of the older versions of the kit and is usually full of little old dears getting their daily exercise. It's quiet and nobody bothers you other than to ask if you could pop a hip back in or administer a bit of CPR. It's great.

Compare that to the shiny new gym in town. I went there once and was in a world that I wanted nothing to do with. Wall to wall mirrors for that pumped instagram shot - and it did seem that half of the people in there were flexing their guns in front of the mirror. Every five seconds was an insanely loud "HNMNNMMMMMMMUUUUURGGGH!!" as someone lifted the equivalent of a can of beans and resultant crash as the roidhead slung his weights into a corner.

The weights section was truly out of bounds as anyone not looking like a condom full of walnuts got very short shrift. In short, the place was full of utter twats.

One of the PT's there was recently caught slipping a length into his client and the wife of someone I know. That's gone about as well as you could imagine.

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I go to the YMCA gym in winter. It's a small place that's got all of the older versions of the kit and is usually full of little old dears getting their daily exercise. It's quiet and nobody bothers you other than to ask if you could pop a hip back in or administer a bit of CPR. It's great.

Compare that to the shiny new gym in town. I went there once and was in a world that I wanted nothing to do with. Wall to wall mirrors for that pumped instagram shot - and it did seem that half of the people in there were flexing their guns in front of the mirror. Every five seconds was an insanely loud "HNMNNMMMMMMMUUUUURGGGH!!" as someone lifted the equivalent of a can of beans and resultant crash as the roidhead slung his weights into a corner.

The weights section was truly out of bounds as anyone not looking like a condom full of walnuts got very short shrift. In short, the place was full of utter twats.

One of the PT's there was recently caught slipping a length into his client and the wife of someone I know. That's gone about as well as you could imagine.

PMSL. Apparently they film gym scenes for TOWIE at the place I use so you can imagine how I could just picture all of this in my minds eye.

11 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Sounds about right!

I can't go anywhere near the weights room in my own gym for this same reason, so I just bought some weights for the house.

I remember years back seeing a roided up bloke in a gym standing 6 inches from a mirror, staring himself in the eye, scowling at his own reflection, and wearing one of those power lifting belts....while doing some dumbell curls.

What a twat.

Edited by JoeDavola

Personal Trainer is just another in a long list of non-jobs, similar to cup cake baker. You hear all the fan fare when an associate becomes a PT but not of them slipping back in to a normal job within 6 months. The only qualification you need is a track suit and the ability to tell people to do one more press up, repetition or whatever than absolutely necessary. 

I take a walk in the park every morning, the place is full of them. There is one guy who has been there for 8 years plus, he seems a nice chap and his longevity would suggest he knows what he's doing, as for the rest you do get the impression they are just milking clients. 

The best thing about the job is if you client gets results you get the pat on the back, if they don't it's on them. I've no doubt many cost the NHS a fortune in physio bills pushing people beyond their limits.

I think it is really sad.

I know quite a few people in their 20's, and they're always going to the gym.  I'll often throw in that I've not been to a gym for over 25 years, and they'll laugh at the old person and say 'I'm trying to look after my health'.  And then I'll say, 'oh, I exercise' and mention that I do 10kish running a day and weights.  You can kind of see the cogs wheeling in their heads as they try to compute that exercise needn't be done in a gym.

Then there are the fat people I know -- nearly all of them have a gym membership.  Some of them are provided with the membership by the state (ie, by my taxes), others by their own wealth.   I don't think any go often; the membership appears to be a proxy for actually doing anything.

We've all been mass hypnotised into thinking that exercise and gyms are the same thing.   Seduced into a world with personal trainers and weekly sessions at the 'exercise place', but trying to do less and less while not there (because exertion is for gyms, right?)

I suppose this seems harmless enough -- certainly for youth where there's a nice social aspect to the gym.  But I think there's a point where it actually discourages people doing anything worthwhile.  I had a conversation with a guy the other day who was moaning about his lack of fitness -- see, he lived a few miles from the gym, and with traffic he'd lost 40 minutes (travel there and back) before he actually started doing anything, and he just didn't have the time.  He couldn't cope with the idea that he could have done sufficient exercise by cycling to the gym, and then immediately turning around and cycling home again, and all within the 40 minutes of 'lost time'.

Still, if everyone goes to a gym to exercise I suppose it's good for GDP.  

Edited by dgul

1 minute ago, dgul said:

I think it is really sad.

I quite a few people in their 20's, and they're always going to the gym.  I'll often throw in that I've not been to a gym for over 25 years, and they'll laugh at the old person and say 'I'm trying to look after my health'.  And then I'll say, 'oh, I exercise' and mention that I do 10kish running a day and weights.  You can kind of see the cogs wheeling in their heads as they try to compute that exercise needn't be done in a gym.

Then there are the fat people I know -- nearly all of them have a gym membership.  Some of them are provided with the membership by the state (ie, by my taxes), others by their own wealth.   I don't think any go often; the membership appears to be a proxy for actually doing anything.

We've all been mass hypnotised into thinking that exercise and gyms are the same thing.   Seduced into a world with personal trainers and weekly sessions at the 'exercise place', but trying to do less and less while not there (because exertion is for gyms, right?)

I suppose this seems harmless enough -- certainly for youth where there's a nice social aspect to the gym.  But I think there's a point where it actually discourages people doing anything worthwhile.  I had a conversation with a guy the other day who was moaning about his lack of fitness -- see, he lived a few miles from the gym, and with traffic he'd lost 40 minutes (travel there and back) before he actually started doing anything, and he just didn't have the time.  He couldn't cope with the idea that he could have done sufficient exercise by cycling to the gym, and then immediately turning around and cycling home again, and all within the 40 minutes of 'lost time'.

Yeah I think that the fact that I walk everywhere (about 5 hours of walking a week) has done more to keep me in decent health than any gym membership has.

Mike Sports direct founder, Newcastle Utd owner and I believe he has been building a stake in Debenhams and plans to open gyms in there to get the next generation of shopper.

Ah http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-6029339/Debenhams-gives-shoppers-real-workout-launches-gyms-stores.html

There are obvious synergies with Sports Direct and Gyms.

Edited by 201p

6 minutes ago, 201p said:

Mike Sports direct founder, Newcastle Utd owner and I believe he has been building a stake in Debenhams and plans to open gyms in there to get the next generation of shopper.

Ah http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-6029339/Debenhams-gives-shoppers-real-workout-launches-gyms-stores.html

Yes.  In the olden days sports shops would sell stuff to people that wanted to exercise/play sports, but these new shops (SD) are all about giving people the stuff that makes it look as though they're the type to exercise / play sports.  I doubt many do actually do anything with the stuff they buy, as most of it is crap.  Going into gyms would be inspired -- lots of shiny equipment that is barely used (and probably doesn't work well), but a place where chavy people go to hang out and 'look exercisey', probably by spending money at the bar / coffee-shop during a break in shopping. 

13 minutes ago, 201p said:

Mike sports direct owner, Newcastle Utd owner and I believe he has been building a stake in Debenhams and plans to open gyms in there to get the next generation of shopper.

Well he's such a fine figure of a man himself. Peak hypocrite?

image.jpg

2 hours ago, ccc said:

Went for a wander yesterday and realised there are no less than 11 gym type places within about 300 m of my flat. 

Is similar happening elsewhere in the UK ? 

Thanks for this thread, I think you might have spotted a new bull market.

gym.png.240fc59bf65de5a59f3b506ae6c5a9a0.png

15 minutes ago, 201p said:

Are there fuck.

Have you see the people going to Sports Direct?

34 minutes ago, dgul said:

The social aspect is important to these people, most of their 'friends' are on Facecloth, Instaspam or Twatter. Gyms could well be the new pub/club for meeting people.

I had a neighbour once who would go to the gym in his jag and cycle for 10 miles on the exercise bike. I pointed out that there was a cycle track (old railway) that ran from behind our houses past his gym. The gym was 5 miles down the track so there and back was 10 miles, he didn't get it.

No buy recommendation, but it is more about the like what has been said above. The yoga pants instagram effect.

The street status symbols are having an iphone, a Audi A3, and a gym membership, that is better than owning a house.

KATIE-PRICE-GYM.jpg&f=1koysiu-l-610x610-leggings-yoga-yoga%2Bpants-workout-fitness-grey-sexy%2Byoga%2Bpants-fitness%2Bpants.jpg&f=1

Screen-Shot-2016-11-17-at-3.59.11-PM.png&f=1

9 minutes ago, 201p said:

No buy recommendation, but it is more about the like what has been said above. The yoga pants instagram effect.

The street status symbols are having an iphone, a Audi A3, and a gym membership, that is better than owning a house.

KATIE-PRICE-GYM.jpg&f=1koysiu-l-610x610-leggings-yoga-yoga%2Bpants-workout-fitness-grey-sexy%2Byoga%2Bpants-fitness%2Bpants.jpg&f=1

Screen-Shot-2016-11-17-at-3.59.11-PM.png&f=1

The people I see going into the gym by my office don't look like that.