• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
ccc

UK - peak gym ?

Posted (edited)

I haven't been to the gym for years. I tend to do a walk early in the morning. But I guess they must be busy? But what kind of people go?

I live near a David Lloyd gym, and see the odd Lamborghini come in and out - I guess it must be footballers at the high end of the spectrum.

Edited by 201p

Well if anyone does a "instagram" and "gym" image search - well pick any image, and er yeah that's like me haha.

47 minutes ago, 201p said:

No buy recommendation, but it is more about the like what has been said above. The yoga pants instagram effect.

The street status symbols are having an iphone, a Audi A3, and a gym membership, that is better than owning a house.

KATIE-PRICE-GYM.jpg&f=1koysiu-l-610x610-leggings-yoga-yoga%2Bpants-workout-fitness-grey-sexy%2Byoga%2Bpants-fitness%2Bpants.jpg&f=1

Screen-Shot-2016-11-17-at-3.59.11-PM.png&f=1

These people are going to fucking suck at getting old..

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 201p said:

Thanks for this thread, I think you might have spotted a new bull market.

gym.png.240fc59bf65de5a59f3b506ae6c5a9a0.png

^This. They (GYM) seem to have the market cornered ATM. Empty industrial units, filled with generic equipment, same across the board making setting them up a doddle and staff (probably on NMW) that double as PTs.

I have a sub with them on top of my local as they are 24/7 (and my local isn't).

Edited by t_v
double post

3 minutes ago, t_v said:

^This. They (GYM) seem to have the market cornered ATM. Empty industrial units, filled with generic equipment, same across the board making setting them up a doddle and staff (probably on NMW) that double as PTs.

I have a sub with them on top of my local as they are 24/7 (and my local isn't).

Seem to be two types of gymgoers near me. At the posh end of town they go to play tennis, squash, badminton etc at the gym.  

At the chavvy end they seem to go purely to lift big weights, over and over. 

I presume there are going to be a lot of chavs with serious joint and bone problems in about 10 years time...perhaps heart/pancreas/liver/digestive issues as well given the proportion of them who look to be on 'roids. 

33 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

These people are going to fucking suck at getting old..

Most of them die around 40-50 anyway, dont they?!

If not from the roids, from some other drug overdose that they all take to ensure they don't feel permanently worn out. 

2 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Seem to be two types of gymgoers near me. At the posh end of town they go to play tennis, squash, badminton etc at the gym.  

At the chavvy end they seem to go purely to lift big weights, over and over. 

I presume there are going to be a lot of chavs with serious joint and bone problems in about 10 years time...perhaps heart/pancreas/liver/digestive issues as well given the proportion of them who look to be on 'roids. 

Most of them die around 40-50 anyway, dont they?!

If not from the roids, from some other drug overdose that they all take to ensure they don't feel permanently worn out. 

About a million people in the UK are using steroids at the moment.

The long term health outlook for steroid users and fanatical weight lifters is not good.

3 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I go to the YMCA gym in winter. It's a small place that's got all of the older versions of the kit and is usually full of little old dears getting their daily exercise. It's quiet and nobody bothers you other than to ask if you could pop a hip back in or administer a bit of CPR. It's great.

Compare that to the shiny new gym in town. I went there once and was in a world that I wanted nothing to do with. Wall to wall mirrors for that pumped instagram shot - and it did seem that half of the people in there were flexing their guns in front of the mirror. Every five seconds was an insanely loud "HNMNNMMMMMMMUUUUURGGGH!!" as someone lifted the equivalent of a can of beans and resultant crash as the roidhead slung his weights into a corner.

The weights section was truly out of bounds as anyone not looking like a condom full of walnuts got very short shrift. In short, the place was full of utter twats.

One of the PT's there was recently caught slipping a length into his client and the wife of someone I know. That's gone about as well as you could imagine.

Are you sure this isn’t a dream you had after watching the comedy film Dodgeball?

6 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Are you sure this isn’t a dream you had after watching the comedy film Dodgeball?

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Genuine thing. I didn't know whether to piss myself laughing or flex my (small calibre) guns and take a selfie.

I'm firmly of the live and let live opinion. Whatever they want to do.

Building a good physique takes time and dedication. Anyone here squatting north of 140kg? Or deadlifting 200kg?

Money laundering??

I'm a member of David Lloyd,. Bike or treadmill, headphones on, 60-90mins peace.

Woman who go in full make up get on my nerve!

58 minutes ago, 201p said:

The fun starts at 1min in 

you'll be a tinder hit in no time!

Watched the video just to see the garden and the roses. xD

Gyms have definitely become increasingly popular in recent times and they're great if you can stand the irritating encouragement to get off the equipment you're using from the queue of hovering roider men who are waiting impatiently for their turn on the equipment and right now. 

You might as well do some weights at home if you're not bothering your neighbours with the noise through the paper thin walls - and go for a swim or a walk, run or cycle in the streets. 

I think a lot of people pay to go to the gym because of the general congestion in the pools and on the roads and pavements and then the hassle you can get when you inevitably draw the unwelcome attention of the feral kids on their bikes and others often chav and pikey types etc when they spot that you just like some regular exercise and you have a preferred route around their patch etc.  You can change your route but it doesn't make much difference - it's better if you live in the countryside of course.

58 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I'm firmly of the live and let live opinion. Whatever they want to do.

Building a good physique takes time and dedication. Anyone here squatting north of 140kg? Or deadlifting 200kg?

I think there's a difference between a good physique and some of the pumped up types out there. When I worked offshore we had a group of bodybuilders who all looked a bit freakish, they took the piss out of me (5'6" and 63 kg soaking wet) until I challenged them to one handed chin ups. Not one could do it as their arm muscles collided before their chin reached the bar.

That's exactly right @twocents , I go to a small gym that's newly opened. It's rarely busy, I went this morning at 7am and there was only 1 other person there, which is about average. Often it's just me. I've tried busy gyms in the past full of meatheads and never go back.

4 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I go to the YMCA gym in winter. It's a small place that's got all of the older versions of the kit and is usually full of little old dears getting their daily exercise. It's quiet and nobody bothers you other than to ask if you could pop a hip back in or administer a bit of CPR. It's great.

Compare that to the shiny new gym in town. I went there once and was in a world that I wanted nothing to do with. Wall to wall mirrors for that pumped instagram shot - and it did seem that half of the people in there were flexing their guns in front of the mirror. Every five seconds was an insanely loud "HNMNNMMMMMMMUUUUURGGGH!!" as someone lifted the equivalent of a can of beans and resultant crash as the roidhead slung his weights into a corner.

The weights section was truly out of bounds as anyone not looking like a condom full of walnuts got very short shrift. In short, the place was full of utter twats.

One of the PT's there was recently caught slipping a length into his client and the wife of someone I know. That's gone about as well as you could imagine.

I thought that was the main reason for men becoming personal trainers, so they could shag bored housewives or career women too busy to go on Tinder dates.

2 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I thought that was the main reason for men becoming personal trainers, so they could shag bored housewives or career women too busy to go on Tinder dates.

Yep. I spent a year or two with a PT, had his own gym and employed a couple of junior PTs, presumably on tax credits. Whenever there was a female client there too he would be 'teaching' them and youd get the office junior. Without exception. 

3 hours ago, Option5 said:

The social aspect is important to these people, most of their 'friends' are on Facecloth, Instaspam or Twatter. Gyms could well be the new pub/club for meeting people.

I had a neighbour once who would go to the gym in his jag and cycle for 10 miles on the exercise bike. I pointed out that there was a cycle track (old railway) that ran from behind our houses past his gym. The gym was 5 miles down the track so there and back was 10 miles, he didn't get it.

I've had several conversations like this. One career girl type said she always drove to the gym to go on the walking machine. When I asked why she didn't just go for a walk, she said 'because there are dodgy people and syringes lying around'. (She lived in a fairly upmarket suburb of London where  I have rarely seen a dodgy person and never a syringe). 

I think gyms are like bottled water, they've been successfully sold to people as both a lifestyle statement and a health product and something that must be good because we are told it is and because we cannot do anything properly without spending money on it. 

Funny thing is, when I started with the (now sacked by me) PT he was actually full of good advice, including going for walks. Thats why i stuck with him I suppose until it became clear we were well past the point of diminishing returns.

Yes I think a big part of Crossfit-type gyms over the last few years is the 'social' life that's sold as part of it.

Pity that you have to pay so much for some mates but there ya go!

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I've had several conversations like this. One career girl type said she always drove to the gym to go on the walking machine. When I asked why she didn't just go for a walk, she said 'because there are dodgy people and syringes lying around'. (She lived in a fairly upmarket suburb of London where  I have rarely seen a dodgy person and never a syringe). 

I think gyms are like bottled water, they've been successfully sold to people as both a lifestyle statement and a health product and something that must be good because we are told it is and because we cannot do anything properly without spending money on it. 

I think you have to establish a regular routine walk or run etc over some time and maybe that's what she had tried - then the dodgy unwelcoming people seem to come out of the woodwork and appear out of nowhere to home in on the athlete even in what seem to be reasonable districts.

Edited by twocents