• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Give me give me give me

Hmm, not sure.

My benefit emoyment support allowence has been stopped due to it being a long claim and I need a new assessment before I can get funds . This is to help me day to day.
My assessment is in 3 weeks.and 4 days.

This is typical of what I keep hearing about the DWP's dreadful systems whereby people with perfectly valid claims find themselves suddenly potless for several weeks because of a change in circumstance (as simple as change of address on their part) or some systemic problem (in this person's case arbitrarily stopping a valid claim for a check in advance of the check taking place).

She doesn't come across as especially deserving of sympathy but that may well be just down to her poor writing style.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Hmm, not sure.

This is typical of what I keep hearing about the DWP's dreadful systems whereby people with perfectly valid claims find themselves suddenly potless for several weeks because of a change in circumstance (as simple as change of address on their part) or some systemic problem (in this person's case arbitrarily stopping a valid claim for a check in advance of the check taking place).

She doesn't come across as especially deserving of sympathy but that may well be just down to her poor writing style.

Where do we draw the line... 

I get people fall on hard times, I get that some people live hand to mouth, but given the scenario is possible/likely then surely you should be taking some personal responsibility somewhere along the line, i.e. saving some of your benefit money longer term. I'm not talking much, 50p a week would be enough to get yourself at least something and keep the wolf from the door (I have a very close friend of benefits, he is able to do this). 

I've no doubt life is tough, but I refuse to believe that she has no access to food whatsoever, plenty of places will give her food if she puts in a little bit of effort. In fact I've just added a comment to the page telling her that if she contacts me I will send her a food parcel*, we can see what response I get. 

* While this whole posts reads exceptionally cynical, I'm not like that. It's a genuine offer. 

28 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Hmm, not sure.

Or total bogus claim:

'suffer from increased pressure around my brain from childhood abuse, a blood clotting disorder and osteoporosis.
I am really depressed at the moment due to my circumstances and Any help would be much appreciated.'

The other two could be claimed. Now the problem is whether shes claiming she has those, or if they have been diagnosed, in which case shed not have much of a problem.

Its less that disabled people are being denied benefit but the fact that the 'disabled' people just seem to winging it.

Maye disbaled peoples claims would be assessed faster if 2M people were not trying to swingthe lead?

11 minutes ago, gilf said:

I get people fall on hard times, I get that some people live hand to mouth, but given the scenario is possible/likely then surely you should be taking some personal responsibility somewhere along the line, i.e. saving some of your benefit money longer term. I'm not talking much, 50p a week would be enough to get yourself at least something and keep the wolf from the door (I have a very close friend of benefits, he is able to do this). 

I've no doubt life is tough, but I refuse to believe that she has no access to food whatsoever, plenty of places will give her food if she puts in a little bit of effort. In fact I've just added a comment to the page telling her that if she contacts me I will send her a food parcel*, we can see what response I get. 

* While this whole posts reads exceptionally cynical, I'm not like that. It's a genuine offer. 

She can get an emergency loan from the council

13 minutes ago, gilf said:

Round of applause there sir, well.done on making a genuine offer and the response will be interesting.

Edited by Frank Hovis

5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Or total bogus claim:

ther shes claiming she has those, or if they have been diagnosed, in which case shed not have much of a problem.

Its less that disabled people are being denied benefit but the fact that the 'disabled' people just seem to winging it.

Maye disbaled peoples claims would be assessed faster if 2M people were not trying to swingthe lead?

She can get an emergency loan from the council

I know a couple of people on disability benefit, the first (the chap I mentioned) does genuinely have trouble walking, but he has never made any attempt to remedy the situation. When he has had meetings with DWP and they have threatened to cut his disability payments he has told me he just turns on the water works and they back off. He isn't putting it on, but equally it has almost no impact on him getting a job if he were so inclined.

I've no doubt that a vast majority claiming do so genuinely and equally that some do get in to situations like this. 

Also I know somebody who investigates false claims, so get plenty of stories there. 

5 minutes ago, gilf said:

I know a couple of people on disability benefit, the first (the chap I mentioned) does genuinely have trouble walking, but he has never made any attempt to remedy the situation. When he has had meetings with DWP and they have threatened to cut his disability payments he has told me he just turns on the water works and they back off. He isn't putting it on, but equally it has almost no impact on him getting a job if he were so inclined.

I've no doubt that a vast majority claiming do so genuinely and equally that some do get in to situations like this. 

Also I know somebody who investigates false claims, so get plenty of stories there. 

Im a bit sceptical about claims, coming from he NE and all that.

The NE (an regions) DLA claims are huge compared to the SOuth. Or were. Less so now.

Andthe UK disability rates are huge compared to other Western countries.

Maybe the way forward is to offer bounty to private investigator on DLA and make the fine from false DLA claim so punitive i.e. take the house and everything  and put them in shit B+B, that itll scare the scamsters off.

So these are just a modern way to beg for money 

The first one is typical of the stories that are given to charities , particularly food banks who then give out food parcels and campaign about the evil government and DWP 

But that tale is just not true 

if someone has been on ESA long term and is being reassessed their benefit does not stop unless they have a medical and are found to be fit for work 

if that is the case they can ask for a reconsideration and have to claim JSA and look for work while the case is reviewed 

There can be a delay in payment while moving between benefits and this is where it's possible that food banks and other charities help people 

Now don't get me wrong the benefits system is not fit for purpose, however it is massively abused and has had a terrible social cost as it has allowed people to live in areas with no work, encouraged them to have more children and imho is a big driver of an epidemic of mental health problems 

In regard to the second appeal do these online donation sites not have rules to block such nonsense ? 

Edited by Malthus

Here we go again.....trying to project a fake illness. 

A blood clotting disorder....what the fuck is that?  If she's had a Deep Vein Thrombosis she needs to get to A&E  asap  before the clot destroys her leg or worse get to her lungs and possibly kills her....so that's a fucking lie. Or perhaps she suffers from Lupus or Haemophilia  or some rare clotting disorder....but most unlikely.

She needs to work on making herself employable rather than wallowing in self-pity.  

35 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Here we go again.....trying to project a fake illness. 

A blood clotting disorder....what the fuck is that?  If she's had a Deep Vein Thrombosis she needs to get to A&E  asap  before the clot destroys her leg or worse get to her lungs and possibly kills her....so that's a fucking lie. Or perhaps she suffers from Lupus or Haemophilia  or some rare clotting disorder....but most unlikely.

She needs to work on making herself employable rather than wallowing in self-pity.  

At least shes inventive. Normally they go for the myotalgia or whatver its called. Try to turn a muscle teinge into a disability with its 500/month and rx4 and parkanywhere badge.

14 hours ago, spygirl said:

Andthe UK disability rates are huge compared to other Western countries.

Some of that will be scammers but I've got no doubt that the NHS are failing a lot of people. It took me 12 years to persuade the NHS that I'm sick and in the 18 months since then they've been so slow and useless that I'm now pretty much house bound. Go to the NHS with non-specific symptoms like chronic pain and fatigue and if you're unlucky enough to test normal for the standard tests then you're just as likely to get hypochondriac written in your file as get any help. 

Edited by This Time

9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

At least shes inventive. Normally they go for the myotalgia or whatver its called. Try to turn a muscle teinge into a disability with its 500/month and rx4 and parkanywhere badge.

Fibromyalgia, yeah a bunch of tossers claiming that, especially to the tiny amount of people who do actually have it and then get stigmatised as fakers. An ex of mine had it and happily let a surgeon cut her open to try and cure it. We need to say to all these people claiming to have it, "fine, then your operation is next tuesday. If you don't have the operation then no more bennies for you"

Edited by gibbon

1 minute ago, gibbon said:

Fibromyalgia, yeah a bunch of tossers claiming that, especially to the tiny amount of people who do actually have it and then get stigmatised as fakers. An ex of mine had it and happily let a surgeon cut her open to try and cure it. We need to say to all these people claiming to have it, "fine, then your operation is next tuesday. If you don't have the OP then no more bennies for you"

Yeass... soft tissue, pain, nhs surgeon drumming up business... what could go wrong?

1 minute ago, gibbon said:

Fibromyalgia, yeah a bunch of tossers claiming that, especially to the tiny amount of people who do actually have it and then get stigmatised as fakers. An ex of mine had it and happily let a surgeon cut her open to try and cure it. We need to say to all these people claiming to have it, "fine, then your operation is next tuesday. If you don't have the OP then no more bennies for you"

That was my diagnosis for a while. I'm terrified by the whole idea of surgery but I'd happily let them cut into my brain if they thought there was even the smallest chance it would help.

15 hours ago, gilf said:

The question is how much can we can reasonably expect people to adapt to their circumstances.

I put my back out recently, and had real trouble bending over. I work in an office, and sit in chair all day, so I just went to work. Somebody with a manual job like my brother in law (a plumber) wouldn't have been able to work.

If my brother in law were to injure himself in such a way that he can no longer do his work, but could do mine, then you could argue that he should just retrain, and in theory that's fine, but how many employers would take on a middle aged man with no experience, when they can just employ a pliable youth, a youth who isn't going to punch them in the mouth of they behave like a dick head?

Edited by SpectrumFX

Thought I'd give an update on this...

So as you may remember this young lady needed money so that she could purchase food in order to be able to take her medicine properly. I added a message telling her that I would send her a food parcel, after all she didn't need money it was just so she could take her medicine. It was a completely genuine offer on my part, which I would have had no problem following through on, she lives close enough that I would have delivered personally. 

Suspect none of you will be surprised that I didn't hear a dicky-bird. 

Edited by gilf