• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SNACR

Sensible lightweight motorbike suggestions

Recommended Posts

I want a sensible lightweight motorbike to meet the following general specs

- Can commute into London on it sensibly and filter through traffic

- Also longer 200 mile commute to mother's on it as a deterrent to taking her shopping

- Decent enough performance and comfort for motorways and A-roads but not some daft sports bike

-Not too much money that I'm going to lose my shit if it's stolen or damaged when left parked on the street.

-Light and small enough to easily get in the back of a van/pick-up or hopefully even my car.

I'm quite liking the look of the Yamaha Tracer 700 but anyone got any better ideas

2017-yamaha-tracer-700-4.jpg

Edited by SNACR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I want a sensible lightweight motorbike to meet the following general specs

- Can commute into London on it sensibly and filter through traffic

- Also longer 200 mile commute to mother's on it as a deterrent to taking her shopping

- Decent enough performance and comfort for motorways and A-roads but not some daft sports bike

-Not too much money that I'm going to lose my shit if it's stolen or damaged when left parked on the street.

-Light and small enough to easily get in the back of a van/pick-up or hopefully even my car.

I'm quite liking the look of the Yamaha Tracer 700 but anyone got any better ideas

2017-yamaha-tracer-700-4.jpg

phwoar! Lovely colour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I want a sensible lightweight motorbike to meet the following general specs

- Can commute into London on it sensibly and filter through traffic

- Also longer 200 mile commute to mother's on it as a deterrent to taking her shopping

- Decent enough performance and comfort for motorways and A-roads but not some daft sports bike

-Not too much money that I'm going to lose my shit if it's stolen or damaged when left parked on the street.

-Light and small enough to easily get in the back of a van/pick-up or hopefully even my car.

I'm quite liking the look of the Yamaha Tracer 700 but anyone got any better ideas

2017-yamaha-tracer-700-4.jpg

Given the way us guys tend to let our hearts rule our heads the MV Agusta Dragster meets none of your criteria so is therefore the perfect bike for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sensible suggestion:

A late model yamaha tdm 900 with abs

Comfy, 60 mpg, 250 mile range, easy to ride, cheap, reliable, fast-ish, bit boring. 

Silly suggestion:

Triumph Rocket III

Dosdobs suggestion:

Honda C90

 

Edited by whitevanman
Edit: you can buy my vfr750 off me as I'm selling it for cheap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I want a sensible lightweight motorbike to meet the following general specs

- Can commute into London on it sensibly and filter through traffic

- Also longer 200 mile commute to mother's on it as a deterrent to taking her shopping

- Decent enough performance and comfort for motorways and A-roads but not some daft sports bike

-Not too much money that I'm going to lose my shit if it's stolen or damaged when left parked on the street.

-Light and small enough to easily get in the back of a van/pick-up or hopefully even my car.

I'm quite liking the look of the Yamaha Tracer 700 but anyone got any better ideas

2017-yamaha-tracer-700-4.jpg

I reckon you are not far off with that choice; I would say a 650/700 twin is where you want to be. The Tracer will give you an element of wind protection at motorway speeds (assuming the fairing works, I haven't ridden one); the engine has plenty to offer, having ridden an MT-07 (its naked cousin). I have had a number of SV650s, faired (no longer available new) and unfaired, also Kawasaki 650 twins, whatever they are called these days. I reckon Suzuki are the most sporty in terms of handling, Yamaha are the most modern with the strongest engine, and Kawasaki sit somewhere in between. Given the 200 mile comment, Tracer probably best (although Kawasaki Versys could be good  owned the ER-6 equivalent, which had a fantastic motor but no fairing). 

I don't think you will get those fancy, chunky tyres as standard from Yamaha, though - which would not be a bad thing. unless your mum lives halfway up the Khyber Pass...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Sensible suggestion:

A late model yamaha tdm 900 with abs

Comfy, 60 mpg, 250 mile range, easy to ride, cheap, reliable, fast-ish, bit boring. 

Silly suggestion:

Triumph Rocket III

Dosdobs suggestion:

Honda C90

 

Addendum to my previous post: I have a TDM900, without ABS but with a number of modifications to overcome the design faults. I love it and won't sell it (because I am DOSBODS tight), objectively however, I reckon the 650s I mention in my previous post are better bikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long is the commute?  Slough->London or Wimbledon->London?  How often to mum's?  Tuesdays and Thursdays or once a month?

Why do you want to get it in a car?  Leaves very little option other than:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQh5Ar0XSEQhpKXYIIsro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honda Grom with an aftermarket can for in and around London xD

I think the tracer is just a "touring" MT. Not sure if they've detuned the engine at all, but might find it lacking in the 07 version. Personally I would prefer the MT/Tracer 09 over the MT07 for a bit more torque but not overkill like the MT10

What about the Triumph Tiger? Might be a bit on the higher end of the budget if going for new. If I had a garage where I'm at now I would get a Bobber Black, but alas there's no point having a bike, it'll get nicked.

Probably worth going round the dealers, sitting on a few then taken a test ride or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ponty Mython said:

Addendum to my previous post: I have a TDM900, without ABS but with a number of modifications to overcome the design faults. I love it and won't sell it (because I am DOSBODS tight), objectively however, I reckon the 650s I mention in my previous post are better bikes.

What mods did you make to your tdm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No 600/700 twin is going to fit in a car easily. The Tracer/Versys/DL650 are all over 200kg I think, and they're obviously tall due to the adventure bike styling. They would be a good choice otherwise I reckon. You can get half faired versions of the Kawasaki ER6 and Suzuki SV650 if you don't particularly need an adventure bike, and they're moderately cheaper both new and secondhand I think. Yamaha do the Diversion which is a similar bike, just with a 600 4 pot.

If you want to go really sensible, the Honda NC700 series in its various incarnations has a low-revving, low friction engine for better MPG and, one assumes, better longevity, though obviously less excitement. And depending on how big you are / how much luggage you're carrying, I daresay the new Kawasaki Ninja 400 is probably perfectly capable on the motorway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snaga said:

I've been thinking about the Honda rebel 500 as a first bike since being a teen.

Will follow this thread now

Nice looking bike.

I quite like the look of the Triumph Bonneville too..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Honda Grom with an aftermarket can for in and around London xD

I think the tracer is just a "touring" MT. Not sure if they've detuned the engine at all, but might find it lacking in the 07 version. Personally I would prefer the MT/Tracer 09 over the MT07 for a bit more torque but not overkill like the MT10

What about the Triumph Tiger? Might be a bit on the higher end of the budget if going for new. If I had a garage where I'm at now I would get a Bobber Black, but alas there's no point having a bike, it'll get nicked.

Probably worth going round the dealers, sitting on a few then taken a test ride or two.

Not the same at all, but if I was buying a bike for a shorter city commute right now I'd give consideration to a Mutt 250. (cheap but coolish)

Definitely underpowered for the 200 mile jaunt though.

bikes_eleven_img_one_hero_2048x2048.jpg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

What mods did you make to your tdm?

At the risk of going way off-topic:

Wrapping the HT leads in self-amalgamating tape, to avoid mis-fires when wet (very important when riding to a job interview...);

Fitting a Dobeck 1025 fuel module, to tune out the awful low-speed fuelling from the fuel injection (this bike replaced a 3VD 850 , only bike I ever killed...).

Nitron rear shock (perhaps a luxury); Hagon front springs the same, about to be supplemented by Racetech emulators in the forks.

IXIL 2-1 exhaust, which runs much better with the full baffle rather then open or full baffle.

Assorted other bits-and-bobs.

From experience and back on topic, I stil reckon a modern Jap 650/700 is where it's at, irrespective of brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Nice looking bike.

I quite like the look of the Triumph Bonneville too..

Yeah the whole bonneville range is fantastic, I wouldn't say no to any other them

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Not the same at all, but if I was buying a bike for a shorter city commute right now I'd give consideration to a Mutt 250. (cheap but coolish)

Definitely underpowered for the 200 mile jaunt though.

 

Yes if I had a little town commute I would quite happily go for something like that. There are some really good choices coming onto the market in these undersized bikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.