• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SNACR

Sensible lightweight motorbike suggestions

7 minutes ago, dgul said:

Not the same at all, but if I was buying a bike for a shorter city commute right now I'd give consideration to a Mutt 250. (cheap but coolish)

Definitely underpowered for the 200 mile jaunt though.

bikes_eleven_img_one_hero_2048x2048.jpg?

That's freaking cool! Reminds me of the old Yamaha sr500. Lovely.

6 minutes ago, Ponty Mython said:

At the risk of going way off-topic:

Wrapping the HT leads in self-amalgamating tape, to avoid mis-fires when wet (very important when riding to a job interview...);

Fitting a Dobeck 1025 fuel module, to tune out the awful low-speed fuelling from the fuel injection (this bike replaced a 3VD 850 , only bike I ever killed...).

Nitron rear shock (perhaps a luxury); Hagon front springs the same, about to be supplemented by Racetech emulators in the forks.

IXIL 2-1 exhaust, which runs much better with the full baffle rather then open or full baffle.

Assorted other bits-and-bobs.

From experience and back on topic, I stil reckon a modern Jap 650/700 is where it's at, irrespective of brand.

I've heard the fuelling is a bit naff on the 900. Easily fixed though. They look like great value at the moment. I've knackered my ulnar nerves from riding sports bikes so I'm looking for an upright bike. I used to have a TRX850 and really liked the engine. 

2 minutes ago, Ponty Mython said:

SRX600, please.

Had one of those too! Bastard to start and the carbs are rubbish. I think you can get a leccy start version from Japan. I love the simple look of the SR though.

35 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Nice looking bike.

I quite like the look of the Triumph Bonneville too..

Father in law has a 1960s bonneville in his living room :-)

the new small Harleys look nice, street 750 might be my 2nd bike

street-street-750-gallery-2.jpg?impolicy

Edited by snaga

xD did once sell a trials bike (very small) to a chap who picked it up in a rav 4. I think it fitted with the wheels and possibly handlebars taken off.

Personally, I would only want to ride 'sit up and beg' type bike on the road, especially in town. Single cylinder trail bikes are actually pretty good in town because the riding position gives good visibility and they are light, narrow and maneuverable and will withstand getting knocked around. Most will be a bit underpowered for the motorway, but the ktm 690 and it's variants will top the speed limit very easily. Some sort of tall screen / fairing arrangement would be advisable for long motorway journeys. I think some of the old air cooled 600cc + japanese thumpers are also still available and although not as fast or modern would most likely also be up to the job. (Video misses out the point that it will also sit at 70mph all day long)

Went to the dealers to look at the Tracer today but have fallen a bit in love with another MT 07 based machine the XSR700. 

Lazy bellends couldn't be arsed to move bikes in the showroom to get either out for a test ride though probably would have bought today but will go elsewhere now but it's going to have to ride terribly for me not to want one as kind of sold on it. 

7 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Can`t believe no one has  suggested one of these 

ORANGE

Is that the one the Baron Grumble Youtube guy was trying to win?

8 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Is that the one the Baron Grumble Youtube guy was trying to win?

I have not got a clue its a KTM Duke 690 ,the thing with KTM you generally get proper shocks and brakes brembo etc  as they don`t do that stuff  themselves unlike Honda Yamaha and the like and you can spec the bike if bought new 

https://www.ktm.com/gb/naked/690-duke/

Edited by Long time lurking

3 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

Can`t believe no one has  suggested one of these 

ORANGE

I did sort of. I think the husky in the vid is still basically the same bike in dirt bike clothes, the older duke and 690 enduros were definitely closely related (ktm and husky one and the same these days)

On 08/08/2018 at 17:50, SNACR said:

I want a sensible lightweight motorbike to meet the following general specs

- Can commute into London on it sensibly and filter through traffic

- Also longer 200 mile commute to mother's on it as a deterrent to taking her shopping

- Decent enough performance and comfort for motorways and A-roads but not some daft sports bike

-Not too much money that I'm going to lose my shit if it's stolen or damaged when left parked on the street.

-Light and small enough to easily get in the back of a van/pick-up or hopefully even my car.

I'm quite liking the look of the Yamaha Tracer 700 but anyone got any better ideas

I'm going to echo the Versys suggestion upthread. I've had a Mk1 for a few years now and I think it's a great multi-purpose bike. Picked it up for £2k. The Mk1 is a bit vibey but supposedly improved in the later versions.
Fun round town as it's quite torquey, though depending on how tight you like to filter the bars might be a little wide. 
I get over 60mpg on motorways. Great luggage options; I have a top box, panniers, tankbag and tailpack on mine (140 litres in total).

I use mine for everything from going on holiday to doing the big shop! A proper workhorse that's fun. Worth a test ride I reckon.

[EDIT: doubt you'll get much apart from a 125 in the back of a car tbh.]

Edited by Inoperational Bumblebee

51 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Hmmmm. Mrs Plan's Gaydar just triggered.

Are you sure it’s not a residual effect from your previous Alfa Spider ownership?

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

Hmmmm. Mrs Plan's Gaydar just triggered.

he does look very gay, doesn't he?

Still if you ever went down to Dorking on a Sunday you'd see loads of biker guys in the pub car park dressed in leather looking at each other's bottoms, it is definitely a bit fetish/gay this biking thing.

7 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

he does look very gay, doesn't he?

Still if you ever went down to Dorking on a Sunday you'd see loads of biker guys in the pub car park dressed in leather looking at each other's bottoms, it is definitely a bit fetish/gay this biking thing.

You mean Ryka's for Bikers?

I don't recall a pub though?

11 hours ago, SNACR said:

XSR700

2016-Yamaha-XSR700-EU-Forest-Green-Acces

82050.jpg

Mmh. Not so sure about this one. Looks like the end result of putting 3 different bikes into a crusher.

Another vote for the TDM. I had the 850 - best bike ever. Lots of power, good riding position and narrow enough to not take out too many car mirrors on the daily commute.

2 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

Mmh. Not so sure about this one. Looks like the end result of putting 3 different bikes into a crusher.

Another vote for the TDM. I had the 850 - best bike ever. Lots of power, good riding position and narrow enough to not take out too many car mirrors on the daily commute.

XSR 700 is sold with one of thses I would imgine

ww2-german-m40-helmet-3179-a.jpg

But what's with the Coke can for the exhaust ?

Is there a DOSBODS motorbike thread? I have been toying with the idea of doing my CBT after riding pillion the other day on a 1200CC bike (terrifying but fun). I'd love a KTM RC125.

media?id=d5de737f5eb54258916da809f49033c