• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SNACR

Sensible lightweight motorbike suggestions

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Worth carrying one of those tyre pluggers and a small foot pump if you're travelling any kind of distance. I've got this one and I'm well impressed.

Last puncture I had I fixed with this. Ten minutes from removing the offending screw to be being back on the road. Did another several thousand miles on it too, before I had new tyres. No loss of air whatsoever!

It only works with tubeless tyres.:S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Are tubes still common? Or is that just in cruisers? I honestly have no idea...

Gotta have proper wired wheels! I think they are still popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perils of winter biking - I binned it spectacularly this morning on some ice at the corner at the bottom of the hill just down the lane from my house.

The bolt holding the crash bung in bent so the damage is fairly bad unfortunately.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Perils of winter biking - I binned it spectacularly this morning on some ice at the corner at the bottom of the hill just down the lane from my house.

The bolt holding the crash bung in bent so the damage is fairly bad unfortunately.

 

As long as you're OK......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Option5 said:

As long as you're OK......

Well I thought that rather than running home like a girl I should get back in the saddle so I managed to bend the gear lever back into shape and pressed on but as it was dark I didn't really clock the extent of the damage at the time. For the rest of the journey I found the visor frustratingly unclear and it wouldn't wipe with my gloves at all. It was only when I got there I realised the visor was totally scratched to shit where I'd face planted along the little brick wall that goes across the stream. I also realised - I'm guessing the cold made it brittle - that my helmet's got a crack in it so probably wasn't the best idea to press on really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Well I thought that rather than running home like a girl I should get back in the saddle so I managed to bend the gear lever back into shape and pressed on but as it was dark I didn't really clock the extent of the damage at the time. For the rest of the journey I found the visor frustratingly unclear and it wouldn't wipe with my gloves at all. It was only when I got there I realised the visor was totally scratched to shit where I'd face planted along the little brick wall that goes across the stream. I also realised - I'm guessing the cold made it brittle - that my helmet's got a crack in it so probably wasn't the best idea to press on really.

Visor, helmet, boots and clothing are all sacrificial, the only thing that can't be replaced is you. If you're unfortunate to have it happen again please do your best girlie impersonation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SNACR said:

... that my helmet's got a crack in it so probably wasn't the best idea to press on really.

Hope you are OK. :)

If you hit your head it could be worth having it checked just in case.

I always replay everything in my head to try and figure out why it happened. Then try to decide if it was my mistake, in which case learn from it, or something random.

Hitting ice is unusual because if it's that cold I take the bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yikes,  I came off my bike as a teenager a few times, but I had a cheap bike and I bounced well in those days. Told myself I wouldn't ride if there was a risk of ice.

I looked out the window this morning, saw the frost, decided to take the car, but when walking out the door, decided it wasn't that bad, and took the bike :)

It actually wasn't that bad, but I should of taken the car.

perhaps this will bring a small smile ...

image.png.3c193c426ca1fb440e373141bb9d6847.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

NWPWrexhamRural-1083824391505567745-full.jpg

Always worth allowing more time to stop before roundabouts now the roads are more slippy.

Nobody hurt. 

Not sure what sort of car that is, but it probably has the engine in the middle, and handles well (usually). It doesn't really matter how big the brake discs are when the important weak link is the grip between the tyres and the road. I have spoken!:Old:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2019 at 17:49, SNACR said:

Perils of winter biking - I binned it spectacularly this morning on some ice at the corner at the bottom of the hill just down the lane from my house.

The bolt holding the crash bung in bent so the damage is fairly bad unfortunately.

 

I fell over on a large Harley-D in the ice, coming down a steep hill near Brighton. Luckily it had full bars, luggage, and a built in Wurlizter, so I was unharmed. I couldn't pick it up though, as it was too slippy. A large man in the van behind helped be get it upright. I bought a Volvo later that week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Not sure what sort of car that is, but it probably has the engine in the middle, and handles well (usually). It doesn't really matter how big the brake discs are when the important weak link is the grip between the tyres and the road. I have spoken!:Old:

Spoken wisely! Dead right on the tyres. Was a Porsche Boxster, I had some Chinese monstrosities (Autohit) fitted to the MX5 when bought, first time it rained the car behaved like a giraffe on an ice rink.

Scary is not the word with the wrong rubber. 

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Autogrip/F107_2.htm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Spoken wisely! Dead right on the tyres. Was a Porsche Boxster, I had some Chinese monstrosities (Autohit) fitted to the MX5 when bought, first time it rained the car behaved like a giraffe on an ice rink.

Scary is not the word with the wrong rubber. 

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Autogrip/F107_2.htm

 

For those of you that remember those 70s tyres. When I bought a Honda motorcycle, I insisted the Yokohama "skidmores" were removed and had Continentals fitted,as I had previous scary moments on rubbish rubber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2019 at 18:58, Bedrag Justesen said:

Hope you are OK. :)

If you hit your head it could be worth having it checked just in case.

I always replay everything in my head to try and figure out why it happened. Then try to decide if it was my mistake, in which case learn from it, or something random.

Hitting ice is unusual because if it's that cold I take the bus.

TBH I did initially think I'd just given it too much throttle in a low gear on cold tyres, as I couldn't immediately find any ice but I'd grossly underestimated how far I'd travelled and did find the icy slipperiness further back. Being as I go through the bend everyday, to and from my house, I do know from the temperature indicator, in the car, that the temperature drops a couple of degrees at the bottom of the hill where the road goes across the stream, it's also covered with trees which slows the road drying. It's never been a problem in the car or a bike before but in normal service the bikes would all be in hibernation at this time of year but I was in a rush which is never good when biking. 

I did try to 'save' it but probably would have been better to let it lowside to start with as ended up high-siding really, I think. The bike was still at high idle revs from warm-up fueling which probably did't help either.

Only had one mystery spill where I haven't been totally sure on the cause. Was turning right into a downhill stretch of a dual carriageway and I lost it as I came across the central reservation I'm pretty sure I didn't give it too much throttle as I was in third anyway. It was at night and I think on the bike I maybe turned in much tighter to the gap in the central reservations than cars do and there was maybe loose gravel/material but not sure. It was very much an unexpected one over a 'well I was clearly pushing my luck with that' type one. 

 

Edited by SNACR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I fell over on a large Harley-D in the ice, coming down a steep hill near Brighton. Luckily it had full bars, luggage, and a built in Wurlizter, so I was unharmed. I couldn't pick it up though, as it was too slippy. A large man in the van behind helped be get it upright. I bought a Volvo later that week.

This guy's blown his whole budget on Liberace's Harley, with nothing to spare on clothing, then tries to ride it like a sportsbike with predictable consequences. You'd think it'd be impossible to style your way out from that but have to grudgingly admit the cunt nearly manages it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SNACR said:

This guy's blown his whole budget on Liberace's Harley, with nothing to spare on clothing, then tries to ride it like a sportsbike with predictable consequences. You'd think it'd be impossible to style your way out from that but have to grudgingly admit the cunt nearly manages it.

 

That bloke has achieved what I could not. More money than sense! And now he needs a new primary chaincase cover. Also failed to fit the engine bars. Er, or wear a jacket! My bike jacket is reifnforced with kelvar.

Edited by MrPin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.