• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SNACR

Sensible lightweight motorbike suggestions

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, spunko said:

Looking ahead to the next few months I'm going to do the full test. Can you  test drive any bike in a dealers once you've got the full license or do they generally have "test" bikes or something?

Lately I've been considering something a bit sportier, what are DOSBODers opinions on an R3 as a first bike? Obviously would need a test-drive on a sportsbike of some sort first. I have been seriously considering the Ducati Scrambler for the past few months, but not sure if something sportier would be more fun. R3 seems plenty quick enough.

FMhiw49.jpg

 

It's also half the price of the Scrambler.

Edit: I hadn't considered a sportsbike because I heard that anyone at/over 6ft would struggle, but according to Yamaha (and this video) you can be 6'7... I'm 6ft

Is it big enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

 Will I die in a horrible accident as a result of going from 30 to 100 horsepower?

I went from 0 to 65HP and have survived so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would get something that’s not a sports bike in the 700-900cc type range of which there’s loads of choice in Japanese bikes which make most sense for cost and reliability. In whatever meets your needs/floats your boat in touring/half-faired/naked/retro styling.

Bikes feel slow very quickly as you become accustomed to them but in this country there’s not many places that you won’t run out of road very quickly on the really fast stuff. My argument for faster stuff would be that having the ready power to cream pretty much all cars you can come across on the road and make fast overtakes is an advantage. 

If you’re sat on the motorway at 80mph - and you don’t really want to dawdle on the motorway on the bike and have cars overtaking you and be pulling in and out of the first two lanes - with a sufficiently powerful bike you can drop a cog and pass another vehicle in an instant which leaves you less vulnerable to them pulling out having not seen you.

The reason for being able to cream most cars is that it is very surprising/disappointing how many dicks decide to chase, for daring to overtake them, or just want to race. Obviously none of them have ever had a sports bike as they would know a) how much more vulnerable you are on a bike and b) they’d have to be off their tits to think they’re going to out pull one. This hasn’t however stopped dicks in a Lotus Elise, a Lamborghini Gallardo, BMW M5 and assorted Audi S models trying to race me on a bike in the last couple of weeks - unsurprisingly they’re mostly the usual suspect dick model cars.

With the right bike choice you can probably have very civilised ride round town in the 0-8000 RPM range but also acceleration that will pull your arms out of their sockets in the 10000 RPM + range.

Edited by SNACR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, snaga said:

From my experience, they have demo bikes which can be taken out, but often sell them in the autumn so not so many demo bikes to ride atm, and weather permitting they may let you take a used bike out if you're seriously interested in buying it.

Also depends on how long you have passed your test, Webbs in peterborough will only let you go out on an accompanied ride if you have had your licence less than 12 months, where as Wheels in peterborough are fine with a test ride the same day as you pass.

No idea if the R3 is a good bike to start, tbh I think you'll need to decide for yourself, you might regret a 300cc bike after a few months, you'll be learning on a 600, I'm already thinking my 650 might need an upgrade in the autumn :)

I would skip the 300, and go for something sensible like a Bandit.  I retook up biking, after nearly 20 years out of it.   I went from a 125 to a 600 Bandit in 6 months.  I've now got a Triumph Daytona 955i which is bloody uncomfortable to ride.

Edited by Dave Beans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

I would skip the 300, and go for something sensible like a Bandit.  I retook up biking, after nearly 20 years out of it.   I went from a 125 to a 600 Bandit in 6 months.  I've now got a Triumph Daytona 955i which is bloody uncomfortable to ride.

I've been looking at Bandits. They are pretty quick, despite not being a "sports" bike. In fact they are quicker than you will need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SNACR said:

I would get something that’s not a sports bike in the 700-900cc type range of which there’s loads of choice in Japanese bikes which make most sense for cost and reliability. In whatever meets your needs/floats your boat in touring/half-faired/naked/retro styling.

Bikes feel slow very quickly as you become accustomed to them but in this country there’s not many places that you won’t run out of road very quickly on the really fast stuff. My argument for faster stuff would be that having the ready power to cream pretty much all cars you can come across on the road and make fast overtakes is an advantage. 

If you’re sat on the motorway at 80mph - and you don’t really want to dawdle on the motorway on the bike and have cars overtaking you and be pulling in and out of the first two lanes - with a sufficiently powerful bike you can drop a cog and pass another vehicle in an instant which leaves you less vulnerable to them pulling out having not seen you.

The reason for being able to cream most cars is that it is very surprising/disappointing how many dicks decide to chase, for daring to overtake them, or just want to race. Obviously none of them have ever had a sports bike as they would know a) how much more vulnerable you are on a bike and b) they’d have to be off their tits to think they’re going to out pull one. This hasn’t however stopped dicks in a Lotus Elise, a Lamborghini Gallardo, BMW M5 and assorted Audi S models trying to race me on a bike in the last couple of weeks - unsurprisingly they’re mostly the usual suspect dick model cars.

With the right bike choice you can probably have very civilised ride round town in the 0-8000 RPM range but also acceleration that will pull your arms out of their sockets in the 10000 RPM + range.

Be careful out there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@snaga, what bike did you get again? On phone so not easy to search.

I'm just surprised that you're finding a 600ish size insufficient now. Most people I know only bothered with bigger engines than that if they were carrying loads of luggage or a pillion.

Perhaps you need to try out a different engine (different number of cylinders), or something with a different gearing, or seating position? I can lift the front wheel on my 650 Versys without difficulty and I've never found it unsatisfying to ride. Only time I wanted more power was overtaking uphill with loads of luggage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

@snaga, what bike did you get again? On phone so not easy to search.

I'm just surprised that you're finding a 600ish size insufficient now. Most people I know only bothered with bigger engines than that if they were carrying loads of luggage or a pillion.

Perhaps you need to try out a different engine (different number of cylinders), or something with a different gearing, or seating position? I can lift the front wheel on my 650 Versys without difficulty and I've never found it unsatisfying to ride. Only time I wanted more power was overtaking uphill with loads of luggage!

Like a wife?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Like a wife?

She won't get on it. :D

@snaga, I've just gone back through all the pages of this thread and you appear to be on a cruiser. I suggest you need to buy something other than a cruiser, and miraculously, you will be shitting your pants about the power delivery of a 600 again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

@snaga, what bike did you get again? On phone so not easy to search.

I'm just surprised that you're finding a 600ish size insufficient now. Most people I know only bothered with bigger engines than that if they were carrying loads of luggage or a pillion.

Perhaps you need to try out a different engine (different number of cylinders), or something with a different gearing, or seating position? I can lift the front wheel on my 650 Versys without difficulty and I've never found it unsatisfying to ride. Only time I wanted more power was overtaking uphill with loads of luggage!

It's plenty fast enough, although a bit more acceleration above 60 to overtake would be better, or I need to select a better gear :) it's more I'd like a higher vantage point, so if I'm going to change bike I may as well get something a bit bigger, but as you say a differnent mid size engine tuned/geared differently might be all I need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

She won't get on it. :D

@snaga, I've just gone back through all the pages of this thread and you appear to be on a cruiser. I suggest you need to buy something other than a cruiser, and miraculously, you will be shitting your pants about the power delivery of a 600 again.

lag, just posted, yes I have a vulcan S, I do love it,  it's more of a cruiser/naked highbrid as it has the same 650 engine as the Ninja and Versys 650. It leaves much larger engined cruisers standing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others have suggested, i'd skip the 'racey' (but detuned) 300 model, and just get a nice non-R model 600. Something like the CBR6 (not the RR) will deliver boatloads of torque when you need it, but also be sublime and well-behaved when conditions are not pleasant. 

Out of all the bike I had, I think the CBR6 was the best all-rounder - great Honda build quality too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Go and test ride the ER6 and Versys 650 to compare! I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I will, I hope to test ride lots of bikes over the summer, but I do love the style of the Vulcan S, perhaps I need two bikes :)

image.png.3bfc643ed6227dbc1241d426ba7bdce5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

She won't get on it. :D

@snaga, I've just gone back through all the pages of this thread and you appear to be on a cruiser. I suggest you need to buy something other than a cruiser, and miraculously, you will be shitting your pants about the power delivery of a 600 again.

I think it was a camel. There were pyramids behind me.:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the helmet and the crash bung. I've just taken the nose cone/fairing off to put the new one on and thought maybe I should have left it until after winter but it's a lot of dismantling so will have to have the new one now. Was actually quite cheap in the end only £200 for the whole nosecone/fairing assembly but apparently that price would double or more if it wasn't still a production line bike part no cheap source for genuine parts though it seems with Yamaha. Crash bungs were £75 and can't decide on a new gear lever or not, it's fine after I bent it back (and if anything I find it slightly better changing with it than before) but a bit worried it might snap off a second time and leave me stranded somewhere.  Jacket went through the elbow and helmet's a write off so that's a £1k pretty much, for both of those, so far more expensive than the bike bits. 

IMG_1519.thumb.JPG.5b87c8f46c66e5fc9851dee39efa70b0.JPG

IMG_1520.thumb.JPG.ba02b3e6bc7bb7172b826cfcf50e20fa.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SNACR said:

Here's the helmet and the crash bung. I've just taken the nose cone/fairing off to put the new one on and thought maybe I should have left it until after winter but it's a lot of dismantling so will have to have the new one now. Was actually quite cheap in the end only £200 for the whole nosecone/fairing assembly but apparently that price would double or more if it wasn't still a production line bike part no cheap source for genuine parts though it seems with Yamaha. Crash bungs were £75 and can't decide on a new gear lever or not, it's fine after I bent it back (and if anything I find it slightly better changing with it than before) but a bit worried it might snap off a second time and leave me stranded somewhere.  Jacket went through the elbow and helmet's a write off so that's a £1k pretty much, for both of those, so far more expensive than the bike bits. 

IMG_1519.thumb.JPG.5b87c8f46c66e5fc9851dee39efa70b0.JPG

IMG_1520.thumb.JPG.ba02b3e6bc7bb7172b826cfcf50e20fa.JPG

happy you wern't hurt, that visor saved your face, and why I always wear full face and have the visor down.

Edited by snaga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.