• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SNACR

Sensible lightweight motorbike suggestions

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Increasingly less bothered by the bad driving of others as I get older. I never get the "red mist", think in the last year I've got angry at one person which involved accelerating round them when safe. Even 5 years ago I drove erratically and angrily all the time, but don't now, think I'm too old to do it now, and find it a bit pathetic. I remember getting stuck on the M5 last winter for hours and hours without moving an inch, I didn't find it frustrating, actually quite relaxing, but would have in the past no doubt been very stressed out. Others weren't so relaxed and there was even a mini-brawl on the hard shoulder. o.O

I have no idea what this reference means. :D

Finding a visual explanation has given me a potential idea for getting the bike on a roof rack if it won't go in the boot.

14 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Increasingly less bothered by the bad driving of others as I get older. I never get the "red mist", think in the last year I've got angry at one person which involved accelerating round them when safe. Even 5 years ago I drove erratically and angrily all the time, but don't now, think I'm too old to do it now, and find it a bit pathetic. I remember getting stuck on the M5 last winter for hours and hours without moving an inch, I didn't find it frustrating, actually quite relaxing, but would have in the past no doubt been very stressed out. Others weren't so relaxed and there was even a mini-brawl on the hard shoulder. o.O

I ended up with community service for a road rage assault and talked my way out of arrest for another incident. Tragically I'm a little bit too proud of the edginess it confers on the quiet.

It's not quite what it sounds though I was supervising a learner manoeuvring at low speed when someone impatient kicked off.

20 minutes ago, dgul said:

That sounds about right.

Stupid thing is, bikes are marketed at the young, whereas the people most likely to do well on a bike are the well settled middle aged -- but they need cars. 

[And nothing is worse than the born-again crisis, which is just about dreams over talent.  All would be fine if they'd only get a slow bike with good brakes...]

Twas always thus.

A lot of the born again types come unstuck because they underestimate the capabilities of modern bikes, I saw one crash by running wide on a corner when all he needed to do was lean further. The modern bike with modern tyres was well within it's limits but his riding was based on 1970s Japanese bike capabilities.

4 minutes ago, Option5 said:

A lot of the born again types come unstuck because they underestimate the capabilities of modern bikes, I saw one crash by running wide on a corner when all he needed to do was lean further. The modern bike with modern tyres was well within it's limits but his riding was based on 1970s Japanese bike capabilities.

It's not just about leaning further either. Most really don't understand the fundamentals; road positioning, corner entry, getting all the braking before the corner and apply a bit of throttle to settle the bike. Counter steering. Once they've messed all that up they then get tunnel vision and the bike stands upright as they go straight on into the bushes.

4 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

It's not just about leaning further either. Most really don't understand the fundamentals; road positioning, corner entry, getting all the braking before the corner and apply a bit of throttle to settle the bike. Counter steering. Once they've messed all that up they then get tunnel vision and the bike stands upright as they go straight on into the bushes.

True, I was in front of him going quicker on a similar bike and checking my mirror when he went off and he got just about everything wrong.

BTW I brake to the apex but that's just a style that suits me.

Edited by Option5

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I jumped into a car at 17, my first car, and almost died within two days of driving. Although that was nearly 15 years ago I know several people of similar age who have bought powerful bikes and died, due to speeding. I understand there are additional risks with a 125cc but I only plan to use it for a few months then flog it once I've got the full license. I'm a very cautious person generally nowadays, even a small risk factor and normally I'm out of there :ph34r:

It's quite a big step for me to get a bike, something I've wanted for years, but finally feel mature enough to try it.

Edit: just realised Mutt are British, I'm sold, are they made in the UK? Apparently not, Chinese parts put together in the UK. Hmmm

I would prefer you didn't get a motorbike, we need you here.

If you are absolutely sure though, what about this :

latest?cb=20150722113053.

22 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

like this ...

5 minutes ago, snaga said:

like this ...

haha indeed. I've done the CSS school, level 1 and 2. Well worth going if you get the chance.

25 minutes ago, Option5 said:

True, I was in front of him going quicker on a similar bike and checking my mirror when he went off and he got just about everything wrong.

BTW I brake to the apex but that's just a style that suits me.

Personally I find the CSS way allows for a far better riding experiance on the road. Having constant throttle to the apex and then acceerlating out is a great feeling. On the road I never want to be in a position where I'm leant over and in need of grabbing the front brake. Each to their own though!

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I have no idea what this reference means. :D

Kick Start Junior :

Dougie Lampkin :

1 hour ago, Option5 said:

But the amazing this is everything is better now -- better suspension, better rubber, better brakes.  Oh, and better engines which IMO is the root cause of the problem.

50 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I would prefer you didn't get a motorbike, we need you here.

If you are absolutely sure though, what about this :

latest?cb=20150722113053.

300mph!  sounds a bit dangerous for a beginner.

Attack lasers would be handy for road-rage, though.

48 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I think you can, perhaps, be slightly cool on a Mutt 125. But it's a push with the huge L plates.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4556658/Tom-Hardy-displays-L-plates-bike-London.html

Why wouldn't he just go on a 48 hour (or whatever) intensive course and get his full license?  Normal people have got an excuse, but a guy like that riding on L is just crazy.

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

Why wouldn't he just go on a 48 hour (or whatever) intensive course and get his full license?  Normal people have got an excuse, but a guy like that riding on L is just crazy.

I read somewhere it was for using in London only. No idea if true or not. He's apparently got a Triumph Street Scrambler now.

Other thing I read for "A list" stars is their filming contracts tell them they can't ride motorbikes in their spare time in case they die etc. Maybe it's related to that.

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I read somewhere it was for using in London only. No idea if true or not. He's apparently got a Triumph Street Scrambler now.

Ah.  The last sentence is the most important.

He's clearly wealthy enough to have bought a cheap 125 for a month or so while he got a full license. 

10 minutes ago, dgul said:

But the amazing this is everything is better now -- 

Except the roads.

In the eighties Car magazine used to write about great road trips.

Leave London at 4am driving a Lamborghini Countach or latest Porsche around the mountain roads of North and Mid-Wales. All very low key, nobody made any fuss, everybody measured and sensible. Good writing accompanied by excellent photography. An inspiration for a nice week-end away.

Then came the lower class brats, splashing their hoons around the A5 on the front pages of Max Power, and Bike, lurid green Hondas with fat pipes, slammed hard, big alloys, and Superchips. Blasting to The Sportsmans Arms and back again. Great.

Followed by a fresh wave of upper class twits and twats, posting Go Pros of their Pentrefoelas masturbation, almost crashing 'the Speciale'.

TT bikers on their R1s and Fireblades, in full Power Ranger suits with Dianese airbags.

Welcome to the EVO Triangle.

Fantastic, now North Wales Police are on the case. BBC Wales too. Game over. Cheers.

Except it isn't.

Regularly travelling from the A55 to A5 has left me with a couple of observations about fellow road users. With regard to bikes, a few things may be of interest.

Three main types, groups, rider with pillion, and solo. By far the most dangerous, with most accidents, easily groups. 

Three main class of bike. The touring big Honda Goldwings, BMWs or Harleys, with top boxes, often foreign plates. The 1000cc and 600cc British Superbikers, often mid-life crisis, or fuck it I'll be dead soon anyway, over 50s, how can we know ? Helmets off outside pubs. Along with the younger bikers out for a qualifying lap. Some know what they are doing some don't. There are then the commuters. Usually low powered bikes and gulp, scooters.

Hard to say the most at risk of these, tourists, sports bikes, and commuters having low speed tumbles, high speed crashes and fatalities, strangely about equal. Possibly groups of scooters usually make it home unscathed.

There are recognised risks, in no particular order.

Rider ability, or lack of skill, training, or basic handling nouse.

Other road users. Sorry mate didn't see you. Think bike ! Vacant Mums pulling out of junctions without looking, twats overtaking without checking mirrors. Knobheads opening doors in tight gaps.

Changing road surfaces. Potholes, slippery surfaces, diesel spills especially on roundabouts, objects in road, bricks, bits of exhaust, fallen rocks, road markings in wet.

Difference in speed. Starship warp speed can seem mundane, until you realise erm, you can't stop!

Ambition. Knee scrapers, get your elbow down lad, lean, lean, lean, Fuck !!! The grip is the fat of the tyre in the middle. Contact patch already tiny, don't run out of road AND grip.

High centre of gravity trail bikes on knobbly tyres best suited to the farm.

Protective gear. Wear it. You'll only scrape the skin off your hands, arms, legs and back once. Ouch!

Weather. Motorbikes in the rain are lethal. 

Crime. Too easy to lose it, around here anyway, you can't park it and leave it. Even bits get knicked.

Running costs. Insurance, tyres, servicing, damage.

I love bikes by the way. :xxD

4 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Dougie Lampkin :

It's a strangely British thing that someone as successful as Dougie Lampkin is only vaguely known as a sportsman in this country, with something like 20 world championships to his name, even winning his twelfth Scottish Six Days Trial this year in his forties (an event some world level riders would struggle at). Another British success story in trials  you've probably never heard of is Emma Bristow, on course to win her fifth womens world title in YORKSHIRE next month, she is that good that without even being a tranny recently rode a world level men's event and did ok.

ebristow.jpg.11ee9c6ed226e7f2bb861f04e6f9910d.jpg

Spunko at 6 foot, you'll be like a gorilla on a tricycle on a 125. The dosbods advice is wise, a low horsepower bigger bike would be better to start on.

4 hours ago, Admiral Pepe said:

haha indeed. I've done the CSS school, level 1 and 2. Well worth going if you get the chance.

I'll look in to it, got my theory next week, then I plan on going on an intensive training course, which could be 5,6 or 7 days over a few weeks. Includes CBT and both practical tests.

new favourite for my first proper bike ...

17EN650D_44SGY1DRF2CG_C_002.png

13 minutes ago, snaga said:

I'll look in to it, got my theory next week, then I plan on going on an intensive training course, which could be 5,6 or 7 days over a few weeks. Includes CBT and both practical tests.

Not too disastrous a choice for first big bike.  I'd just worry that you'd drop it (if you learn to drop a smaller trash bike a few times then you'll know more about not dropping a nice new heavy bike).

[I approve of the intensive course approach -- I think that it gives the skills without mucking about on a 125 for months without the skills.   Just that after the intensive course you should think that you've got 6 months of gaining real-world skills.  I'd suggest that it would be better to do this on something you care less about.  Trouble is, you've got 3 bikes in 12 months.  I suppose that if you get second-hand it needn't actually be expensive -- might be slightly cash +ve if you buy and sell wisely]

Edited by dgul

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Not too disastrous a choice for first big bike.  I'd just worry that you'd drop it (if you learn to drop a smaller trash bike a few times then you'll know more about not dropping a nice new heavy bike).

yes, me too, so may get an older bike for first 12 months, if I can look after it I'll reward myself.

32 minutes ago, snaga said:

yes, me too, so may get an older bike for first 12 months, if I can look after it I'll reward myself.

Yep plus get one years no claims, which will make a bit of dent on the insurance for the new bike B|

39 minutes ago, snaga said:

Didn't like it from that picture but really do from looking at some other pictures. Cruiser style gives it a bit of an Arnie in T2 vibe - in fact if spunko gets chased by the T1000 down the LA river you can rescue him off his underpowered bike.

Had automatically assumed it was heavy but isn't actually possibly fails the filtering criterion but could potentially overllook that. Really like this colour scheme for some reason - starting to worry I'm going to end up with more than one new bike.

s-l1600.jpg  

21 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Yep plus get one years no claims, which will make a bit of dent on the insurance for the new bike B|

I got a quote for myself, assuming I passed my test, on a Honda Rebel 500, from £350 fully comp, wasn't as much as I feared.