• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SNACR

Sensible lightweight motorbike suggestions

1 hour ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Worth carrying one of those tyre pluggers and a small foot pump if you're travelling any kind of distance. I've got this one and I'm well impressed.

Last puncture I had I fixed with this. Ten minutes from removing the offending screw to be being back on the road. Did another several thousand miles on it too, before I had new tyres. No loss of air whatsoever!

It only works with tubeless tyres.:S

Just now, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Are tubes still common? Or is that just in cruisers? I honestly have no idea...

Gotta have proper wired wheels! I think they are still popular.

Perils of winter biking - I binned it spectacularly this morning on some ice at the corner at the bottom of the hill just down the lane from my house.

The bolt holding the crash bung in bent so the damage is fairly bad unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Perils of winter biking - I binned it spectacularly this morning on some ice at the corner at the bottom of the hill just down the lane from my house.

The bolt holding the crash bung in bent so the damage is fairly bad unfortunately.

As long as you're OK......

2 minutes ago, Option5 said:

As long as you're OK......

Well I thought that rather than running home like a girl I should get back in the saddle so I managed to bend the gear lever back into shape and pressed on but as it was dark I didn't really clock the extent of the damage at the time. For the rest of the journey I found the visor frustratingly unclear and it wouldn't wipe with my gloves at all. It was only when I got there I realised the visor was totally scratched to shit where I'd face planted along the little brick wall that goes across the stream. I also realised - I'm guessing the cold made it brittle - that my helmet's got a crack in it so probably wasn't the best idea to press on really.

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Well I thought that rather than running home like a girl I should get back in the saddle so I managed to bend the gear lever back into shape and pressed on but as it was dark I didn't really clock the extent of the damage at the time. For the rest of the journey I found the visor frustratingly unclear and it wouldn't wipe with my gloves at all. It was only when I got there I realised the visor was totally scratched to shit where I'd face planted along the little brick wall that goes across the stream. I also realised - I'm guessing the cold made it brittle - that my helmet's got a crack in it so probably wasn't the best idea to press on really.

Visor, helmet, boots and clothing are all sacrificial, the only thing that can't be replaced is you. If you're unfortunate to have it happen again please do your best girlie impersonation.

36 minutes ago, SNACR said:

... that my helmet's got a crack in it so probably wasn't the best idea to press on really.

Hope you are OK. :)

If you hit your head it could be worth having it checked just in case.

I always replay everything in my head to try and figure out why it happened. Then try to decide if it was my mistake, in which case learn from it, or something random.

Hitting ice is unusual because if it's that cold I take the bus.

yikes,  I came off my bike as a teenager a few times, but I had a cheap bike and I bounced well in those days. Told myself I wouldn't ride if there was a risk of ice.

I looked out the window this morning, saw the frost, decided to take the car, but when walking out the door, decided it wasn't that bad, and took the bike :)

It actually wasn't that bad, but I should of taken the car.

perhaps this will bring a small smile ...

image.png.3c193c426ca1fb440e373141bb9d6847.png

7 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

NWPWrexhamRural-1083824391505567745-full.jpg

Always worth allowing more time to stop before roundabouts now the roads are more slippy.

Nobody hurt. 

Not sure what sort of car that is, but it probably has the engine in the middle, and handles well (usually). It doesn't really matter how big the brake discs are when the important weak link is the grip between the tyres and the road. I have spoken!:Old:

On 10/01/2019 at 17:49, SNACR said:

I fell over on a large Harley-D in the ice, coming down a steep hill near Brighton. Luckily it had full bars, luggage, and a built in Wurlizter, so I was unharmed. I couldn't pick it up though, as it was too slippy. A large man in the van behind helped be get it upright. I bought a Volvo later that week.

46 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Not sure what sort of car that is, but it probably has the engine in the middle, and handles well (usually). It doesn't really matter how big the brake discs are when the important weak link is the grip between the tyres and the road. I have spoken!:Old:

Spoken wisely! Dead right on the tyres. Was a Porsche Boxster, I had some Chinese monstrosities (Autohit) fitted to the MX5 when bought, first time it rained the car behaved like a giraffe on an ice rink.

Scary is not the word with the wrong rubber. 

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Autogrip/F107_2.htm

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Spoken wisely! Dead right on the tyres. Was a Porsche Boxster, I had some Chinese monstrosities (Autohit) fitted to the MX5 when bought, first time it rained the car behaved like a giraffe on an ice rink.

Scary is not the word with the wrong rubber. 

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Autogrip/F107_2.htm

For those of you that remember those 70s tyres. When I bought a Honda motorcycle, I insisted the Yokohama "skidmores" were removed and had Continentals fitted,as I had previous scary moments on rubbish rubber.

On 04/01/2019 at 11:19, MrPin said:

It only works with tubeless tyres.:S

And now fucking Amazon has emailed me about this product I may never need. Fuck the Internet.:o

On 10/01/2019 at 18:58, Bedrag Justesen said:

Hope you are OK. :)

If you hit your head it could be worth having it checked just in case.

I always replay everything in my head to try and figure out why it happened. Then try to decide if it was my mistake, in which case learn from it, or something random.

Hitting ice is unusual because if it's that cold I take the bus.

TBH I did initially think I'd just given it too much throttle in a low gear on cold tyres, as I couldn't immediately find any ice but I'd grossly underestimated how far I'd travelled and did find the icy slipperiness further back. Being as I go through the bend everyday, to and from my house, I do know from the temperature indicator, in the car, that the temperature drops a couple of degrees at the bottom of the hill where the road goes across the stream, it's also covered with trees which slows the road drying. It's never been a problem in the car or a bike before but in normal service the bikes would all be in hibernation at this time of year but I was in a rush which is never good when biking. 

I did try to 'save' it but probably would have been better to let it lowside to start with as ended up high-siding really, I think. The bike was still at high idle revs from warm-up fueling which probably did't help either.

Only had one mystery spill where I haven't been totally sure on the cause. Was turning right into a downhill stretch of a dual carriageway and I lost it as I came across the central reservation I'm pretty sure I didn't give it too much throttle as I was in third anyway. It was at night and I think on the bike I maybe turned in much tighter to the gap in the central reservations than cars do and there was maybe loose gravel/material but not sure. It was very much an unexpected one over a 'well I was clearly pushing my luck with that' type one. 

Edited by SNACR

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I fell over on a large Harley-D in the ice, coming down a steep hill near Brighton. Luckily it had full bars, luggage, and a built in Wurlizter, so I was unharmed. I couldn't pick it up though, as it was too slippy. A large man in the van behind helped be get it upright. I bought a Volvo later that week.

This guy's blown his whole budget on Liberace's Harley, with nothing to spare on clothing, then tries to ride it like a sportsbike with predictable consequences. You'd think it'd be impossible to style your way out from that but have to grudgingly admit the cunt nearly manages it.

10 minutes ago, SNACR said:

This guy's blown his whole budget on Liberace's Harley, with nothing to spare on clothing, then tries to ride it like a sportsbike with predictable consequences. You'd think it'd be impossible to style your way out from that but have to grudgingly admit the cunt nearly manages it.

That bloke has achieved what I could not. More money than sense! And now he needs a new primary chaincase cover. Also failed to fit the engine bars. Er, or wear a jacket! My bike jacket is reifnforced with kelvar.

Edited by MrPin

Looking ahead to the next few months I'm going to do the full test. Can you  test drive any bike in a dealers once you've got the full license or do they generally have "test" bikes or something?

Lately I've been considering something a bit sportier, what are DOSBODers opinions on an R3 as a first bike? Obviously would need a test-drive on a sportsbike of some sort first. I have been seriously considering the Ducati Scrambler for the past few months, but not sure if something sportier would be more fun. R3 seems plenty quick enough.

FMhiw49.jpg

It's also half the price of the Scrambler.

Edit: I hadn't considered a sportsbike because I heard that anyone at/over 6ft would struggle, but according to Yamaha (and this video) you can be 6'7... I'm 6ft.

From my experience, they have demo bikes which can be taken out, but often sell them in the autumn so not so many demo bikes to ride atm, and weather permitting they may let you take a used bike out if you're seriously interested in buying it.

Also depends on how long you have passed your test, Webbs in peterborough will only let you go out on an accompanied ride if you have had your licence less than 12 months, where as Wheels in peterborough are fine with a test ride the same day as you pass.

No idea if the R3 is a good bike to start, tbh I think you'll need to decide for yourself, you might regret a 300cc bike after a few months, you'll be learning on a 600, I'm already thinking my 650 might need an upgrade in the autumn :)

Edited by snaga

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

Looking ahead to the next few months I'm going to do the full test. Can you  test drive any bike in a dealers once you've got the full license or do they generally have "test" bikes or something?

Lately I've been considering something a bit sportier, what are DOSBODers opinions on an R3 as a first bike? Obviously would need a test-drive on a sportsbike of some sort first. I have been seriously considering the Ducati Scrambler for the past few months, but not sure if something sportier would be more fun. R3 seems plenty quick enough.

It's also half the price of the Scrambler.

Edit: I hadn't considered a sportsbike because I heard that anyone at/over 6ft would struggle, but according to Yamaha (and this video) you can be 6'7... I'm 6ft.

Yes dealerships have a demo bikes but may not have the particular model your after for test rides for whatever reason. Back when when I was buying a 600cc sportsbike my local Honda wouldn't let me take one out, although Suzuki and Yamaha did. Can't recall the reason, perhaps it was my age at the time.

R3 is a stepping stone bike for the kids and that's why it's half the price of the scrambler which is a premium bike. As mentioned earlier in the thread I would go for a larger capacity engine rather than these restricted bikes. You'll grow tired of the lack power and the smaller capacity sports bikes need to be revved like hell. Would be fun for a short blast but would soon grow tired of it.

Also to add your height won't really make much difference on a sportsbike imo. But is worth noting sportsbikes are inherently uncomfortable by their very nature. If you're not a speedfreak and have no intention to go onthe track I would probably avoid. The supernaked category is very popular because you get a bit more comfort with an upright riding position and the speed if you would like it.

Go get your full license and then take a few bikes out for a ride. Won't take you long to get a feel of which is more your style, although you could end up with multiple bikes in the garage :D

Edited by A_P

6 minutes ago, A_P said:

The supernaked category is very popular because you get a bit more comfort with an upright riding position and the speed if you would like it.

Triumph Street Triple has appeared on my radar, but there's such a great choice of naked bikes, I'd probably be happy with any of them :)

I've had a bike licence for 20+ years, but only had trail / competition dirt bikes, never a road bike (well I do own one, but it is nearly 100 years old). The idea of being able to go out for a quick ride without prior spanner check and spending hours cleaning the thing afterwards is becoming increasingly attractive. Some of the nineties japanese sports bikes appeal, honda vtr 1000 being of particular interest, mainly because they are not as race orientated as the modern equivalents and appear to have aged well. Will I die in a horrible accident as a result of going from 30 to 100 horsepower?